Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Fat kid at a doughnut shop - which controller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuFroman View Post
I'm building a panel right now that will work without a brain. I wanted to try a manual brew to make sure it's capable of a full manual brew day.
That's a sensible approach.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
muhteeus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Do you have images of your system? How was the interface to build? I'm building a panel right now that will work without a brain. I wanted to try a manual brew to make sure it's capable of a full manual brew day.
Yes, I have a thread with autocad drawings in PDF form. The system is a WIP.

I'll admit, I have no idea what you mean by "without a brain" or "try a manual brew"

Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
ReuFroman
Never enough brew gear money.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhteeus View Post
I'll admit, I have no idea what you mean by "without a brain" or "try a manual brew"
Thanks for the pointing in the right direction.
"Without a brain" and "manual brew" means sans controller. I'm standing at the control panel flipping switches like a mad scientist. It probably looks like my normal brew day right now but more upright and less hose moving.

--------------------
It's ok to stare at my kegs! Just don't touch them!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
ReuFroman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhteeus View Post
Have you considered PLC control? These systems are just a microcontroller emulation of a PLC.

My biggest question would be your budget?
Well, really I don't have a budget. I have a little side job that pays well enough to let me afford some cool gear. Sometimes it takes me a pay period to buy the cool new "__________" and sometimes its a couple months. So really any price is a good price if it's worth it.

I haven't done the research, what am I looking at with the PLC control? Do they have a website with brew set up examples?

--------------------

Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #15
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

What about BeagleBone Black with this 4.3" touchscreen cape, about $100 for the lot? That's got to be worth a look.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/43-...ay-p-1592.html

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 09-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #16
atoughram
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 199

I've got a older working Allen Bradley SLC PLC unit and the programming cable I'd part with. I think it's 120vac inputs and relay outputs but I'd have to check it first.

On tap
Ichter Hill IPA OG 1.058
Carbon River Hefe OG 1.046

Old 09-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
muhteeus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Well, really I don't have a budget. I have a little side job that pays well enough to let me afford some cool gear. Sometimes it takes me a pay period to buy the cool new "__________" and sometimes its a couple months. So really any price is a good price if it's worth it.

I haven't done the research, what am I looking at with the PLC control? Do they have a website with brew set up examples?
Thats awesome. I have been buying my system piece by piece for the last month and have a LOT left to go.

I also read your other post and understand what you meant by a manual system now .

PLC isn't a specific product, it is a class of device. Programmable Logic Controllers, used for industrial automation. They use a hardware level language called Ladder Logic, which is essentially relay logic. I think one of the devices you mentioned (Brewtroller or something) uses the same type of setup to program. Now as far as interface, you have options... HMI or SCADA which is essentially some touchscreen or keypad (or webservice if you have $$$$$) that allows an operator to talk to the PLC program.

I used a Koyo CLICK PLC and C-More HMI from automationdirect.com. The PLC and accessories were roughly $202 and the HMI will run $324. Just an example. There are all-in-one units that start at $550, there is a device called T-BOX that has wifi and will use the webservice that you can grab for $700ish.

Honestly, I think that a PLC is easier to use and program, but I am an EE that works in the Controls Industry... so I am biased haha.

Anyway, good luck! I am going to keep an eye on this thread, eager to see how projects turn out while I am working on mine.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
ReuFroman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'll start looking at the Plc. It's been a whole new world that I stepped into with automated brewing.

My biggest question is how much tinker will I want to put myself through for the brewery. Maybe it's the other way around, how much can my brewery stand me tinkering with it?

--------------------

muhteeus Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Questions: How automated do you really want to get? What are your goals with automation? What does your current brewday look like, and what do you really want to replace with automation.

I'm running a BCS-460 on E-HERMS rig. I have automated temp and pump control, but no level sensors or solenoid vales (not enough 5V dOUts). However, even with this setup I find that brewday can be almost boring. The fact that I can literally walk away from the rig during strike water preheat, a 75 min mash schedule (with recirc), and 30 min mashout, and know everything will be fine, has greatly changed how I view my brew day. I've actually come to the conclusion that I don't want any additional automation (or hard-piping), because I know I'd miss being able to change hose configurations, feather valves, prime pumps, mash-in, add hops, etc. At some point you're just not brewing anymore - your machine is. Automation sounds (and is) pretty cool conceptually, but if you really like the hands-on work of brewing as I do, you might find that you're building parts of a machine that you might never really use. Just my two cents.

Good luck!
P

Goat Mountain Brewery (GMB)
A 10 Gal all-eletric nanobrewery nestled in the foothills of the cascades. My own slice of paradise.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
atoughram
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
Questions: How automated do you really want to get? What are your goals with automation? What does your current brewday look like, and what do you really want to replace with automation.

I'm running a BCS-460 on E-HERMS rig. I have automated temp and pump control, but no level sensors or solenoid vales (not enough 5V dOUts). However, even with this setup I find that brewday can be almost boring. The fact that I can literally walk away from the rig during strike water preheat, a 75 min mash schedule (with recirc), and 30 min mashout, and know everything will be fine, has greatly changed how I view my brew day. I've actually come to the conclusion that I don't want any additional automation (or hard-piping), because I know I'd miss being able to change hose configurations, feather valves, prime pumps, mash-in, add hops, etc. At some point you're just not brewing anymore - your machine is. Automation sounds (and is) pretty cool conceptually, but if you really like the hands-on work of brewing as I do, you might find that you're building parts of a machine that you might never really use. Just my two cents.

Good luck!
P
Well said.... Too much automation takes away from the fun (IMO). Automation in itself is a hobby. For the big brewery's making thousands of barrels at a time automation is great but it just wouldn't work for me. Automating temperature control is about as far as I'm willing to go.
On tap
Ichter Hill IPA OG 1.058
Carbon River Hefe OG 1.046

Quick Reply