Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Embedded Control Concepts (BCS-460) forum hacked? A warning...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
thefost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Embedded Control Concepts (BCS-460) forum hacked? A warning...

I was wondering if anyone knew what the heck was going on with ECC. I tried to sign up to post a question on their forum a week ago. A half hour later, I was getting dozens of spam emails every minute (which were somehow getting past gmail's spam filter). In the middle of the spam emails I saw that a fraudulent order had been attempted to be placed through newegg, where I used the same email and password. I've tried to contact ECC twice but they aren't responding, and there has been no activity in their forum for a while now.

I just wanted to warn BCS users not to sign up for that forum, and to find out if anyone knows whats going on over there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 40

You should check your local system for any root-kits or key loggers.

There has been no indication of any issues with the forum. Activity on the forum is sometimes sporadic, so lack of posts for a few days means nothing. We've had a few other new users and we setup some test accounts and none have seen any spam activity.

Which account did you send messages to that did not receive a response?

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 01-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
thefost
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
You should check your local system for any root-kits or key loggers.

There has been no indication of any issues with the forum. Activity on the forum is sometimes sporadic, so lack of posts for a few days means nothing. We've had a few other new users and we setup some test accounts and none have seen any spam activity.

Which account did you send messages to that did not receive a response?
Thanks for getting back to me JonW, I had emailed tech@embeddedcc.com but never got responses. Looking more closely you are right on how sporadic posts on the forum are, someone responded today so the forum is apparently working.

If there's nothing wrong with the forum then you may be right about the keylogger. My computer is protected by kaspersky and its my work PC so there isn't anything questionable downloaded to it so I'm not sure how that could happen, but you never know. I'll update and re-scan to be safe.

Quick Reply