Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Electric BrewGaLoo 2.0 Automated Brutus 20 8-Valve System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #41
Squeeky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Emjay,

Of course you can! Just let me know how I can help, I'm not an expert in anyway just figuring things out as I go. One thing I did for about a week was keep the Brewtroller IRC channel up on my desktop. Come home from work and read the back log, nice to have others ask the questions and I just sit back and take it all in

My system is running off the BT3.3, which has been replaced by 4.0 and now DX1. In a dream world I would later upgrade to the DX1 and use it for ferm control, brewery, etc. That thing will be able to do it all, but also comes at a higher price point.

I got an email from GreatBrewEh that my pumps are shipping next week, that means all parts will be in. I want to do things right so I'm probably going to wait till I can use a drill press to cut holes in my enclosure. The disadvantage to living in a condo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #42
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

With anywhere near 20 valves, you will have multiple valve closing / opening at the same time. Diode logic is your friend. Run the valves off of DC (24V is a good pick) and diode vote them. That gets your actual control lines down by half or more. Diodes are *cheap* relays cost money.

Bob

Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #43
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeky
Emjay,

Of course you can! Just let me know how I can help, I'm not an expert in anyway just figuring things out as I go. One thing I did for about a week was keep the Brewtroller IRC channel up on my desktop. Come home from work and read the back log, nice to have others ask the questions and I just sit back and take it all in

My system is running off the BT3.3, which has been replaced by 4.0 and now DX1. In a dream world I would later upgrade to the DX1 and use it for ferm control, brewery, etc. That thing will be able to do it all, but also comes at a higher price point.

I got an email from GreatBrewEh that my pumps are shipping next week, that means all parts will be in. I want to do things right so I'm probably going to wait till I can use a drill press to cut holes in my enclosure. The disadvantage to living in a condo
Thanks. I love the name for your brewery too... wish I'd thought of that!

I wasn't aware that the DX1 eliminates the need for a separate Fermtroller. I'm building a ferm chamber/workbench right next to my brewstand (indoors), so that's definitely something I wanted. My computer also happens to be in the same room (and I even ran Cat6 to the corner between the brewstand and ferm chamber), so it definitely gives me the functionality I want. That's pretty much clinched it for me!

It won't be for a few months until I'm ready to buy all the valves I need - just spent a ton on 3 Blichmann kettles and a stainless commercial exhaust hood and pot-washing sink - but are you going to be selling those valves anymore? Around August/September I'll be ready to buy them.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #44
Squeeky
Recipes 

Let me know I've got two other members that want a couple. I'll order 50 when I know 30 are wanted. Just can't afford to be sitting on them. When you need valves just let me know, usually takes 10-14 days for wire to clear and receive.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #45
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeky
Let me know I've got two other members that want a couple. I'll order 50 when I know 30 are wanted. Just can't afford to be sitting on them. When you need valves just let me know, usually takes 10-14 days for wire to clear and receive.
Cool, sounds good.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #46
Squeeky
Recipes 

Looking forward to updating this project. I'm headed to my father's workshop on the 4th to get my enclosure finished.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #47
SMc0724
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Subscribed

Old 08-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #48
SMc0724
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm currently a partial mash, BIAB, brewer. Set up is a typical 5-gallon extract, with two carboys, 9 brews in bottles, 1 in keg.

I'm planning to go high automation HERMS over the next year. I'm not getting younger (54) so transferring is an issue. Started planning this summer. Right now I'm thinking 3 kettles, but I'm carefully considering 2 as well.

Just purchased Arduino. Next I'll automate BIAB process.

Love this place. I'll be watching and posting. :-)

Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #49
Squeeky
Recipes 

Thanks SMc0724,

Good luck with the BIAB automation, I chose 2 vessels for size and simplicity. Currently using a 3 vessel HERMS, but if there is any chance of wife letting me brew indoors, it's gotta be compact. I also didn't want anything smalled then 10gal batches.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #50
Squeeky
Recipes 

No pictures yet, spent most the day working on conical article and how to for BYO.

Enclosure still needs flange sockets cut, SSR heatsinks mounted, and a few other things externally. I did get the removable plate cut for valve wiring, dc pumps, temp sensor and pressure sensor. I hope to get the rest cut tomorrow morning before heading back home. Man I'll miss having use of this workshop.

Quick Reply