Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > electric automation software question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
it99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default electric automation software question

I would to build long term a single infusion electric brewery that just uses software the PID control,etc.

I was thinking of using the BCS 460 does it use software PID?
I would rather not have to have PID hardware controllers and then have to power them, and build all of that circuitry.

I just want something that will sense the temperatures, using probes and then after that its all software with NO hardware building?

Is this possible? Is this overkill for using single infusion? Or are these automation systems mostly just for step infusion? Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
DakotaPrerunner
Fortis et Egregius
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The BCS-460 has 6 discrete outputs. Each output can be PID controlled. The PID settings are accessed and adjusted through the web based GUI. I love my BCS. Read the BCS site (http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/) and the wiki at http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php?title=Main_Page. This is where I started and I found the information easy to understand.

Last edited by DakotaPrerunner; 12-26-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: More detail

Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
crane
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No matter how you go about doing temperature control you will have to do some wiring of components. You will need an SSR to switch the 220V on/off to control the heating element. In the end you will have to do the same amount of wiring than if you used individual PID controllers. Also I am a little confused by your "software PID" comment. All of the standalone PID controllers use a microcontroller that runs software/firmware to run their PID control algorithm.

If you are choosing to go with the BCS because it will be easier to wire up your control panel then I think you need to do more research on here to understand what all you will need in terms on components and how to wire all of them up properly.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
No matter how you go about doing temperature control you will have to do some wiring of components. You will need an SSR to switch the 220V on/off to control the heating element. In the end you will have to do the same amount of wiring than if you used individual PID controllers. Also I am a little confused by your "software PID" comment. All of the standalone PID controllers use a microcontroller that runs software/firmware to run their PID control algorithm.

If you are choosing to go with the BCS because it will be easier to wire up your control panel then I think you need to do more research on here to understand what all you will need in terms on components and how to wire all of them up properly.
I think he means he would like to implement PID functionality through software (Arduino style) rather by using a physical PID controller (MyPin or Auberins style).

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
crane
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer

I think he means he would like to implement PID functionality through software (Arduino style) rather by using a physical PID controller (MyPin or Auberins style).
Yup. Got that. My point is that however you go about it you still have to build a control panel. His statement of "no hardware building" isn't achievable. I am trying to help him not make a decision based on a fictitious notion that doing it in software will result in no hardware building. I think it is pretty safe to say that nobody on this forum is using a true analog hardware PID controller. That would consist of only opamps, transistors, resistors, capacitors and inductors. However you go about it everyone is using digital PID that runs software/firmware on a microcontroller.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
it99
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to build any hardware if I didn't have to. Why isn't there any commercial off the shelf hardware that people can just buy. It just seems like there is a need for this type of hardware and I am surprised that nobody has anything pre-built. I know that every situation is different and might require slightly different hardware.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You've seen these? http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel

or scroll the top banner here: http://www.ebrewsupply.com/

Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by it99 View Post
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to build any hardware if I didn't have to. Why isn't there any commercial off the shelf hardware that people can just buy. It just seems like there is a need for this type of hardware and I am surprised that nobody has anything pre-built. I know that every situation is different and might require slightly different hardware.
Oh they make them, you just need the $$$$
http://www.blichmannengineering.com/..._of_POWER.html

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
crane
Recipes 

These guys have recently popped up on this forum. They make a prebuilt control panel that uses an arduino with USB connection to a PC to run the control software. But for $3000 it's a bit pricey.

http://www.brewmastercontrols.com/

Quick Reply