Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > electric automation software question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
it99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 20
Default electric automation software question

I would to build long term a single infusion electric brewery that just uses software the PID control,etc.

I was thinking of using the BCS 460 does it use software PID?
I would rather not have to have PID hardware controllers and then have to power them, and build all of that circuitry.

I just want something that will sense the temperatures, using probes and then after that its all software with NO hardware building?

Is this possible? Is this overkill for using single infusion? Or are these automation systems mostly just for step infusion? Thanks!!!

__________________
it99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
DakotaPrerunner
Fortis et Egregius
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DakotaPrerunner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonds, Wa
Posts: 170
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

The BCS-460 has 6 discrete outputs. Each output can be PID controlled. The PID settings are accessed and adjusted through the web based GUI. I love my BCS. Read the BCS site (http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/) and the wiki at http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php?title=Main_Page. This is where I started and I found the information easy to understand.

__________________

Last edited by DakotaPrerunner; 12-26-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: More detail
DakotaPrerunner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
crane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 282
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

No matter how you go about doing temperature control you will have to do some wiring of components. You will need an SSR to switch the 220V on/off to control the heating element. In the end you will have to do the same amount of wiring than if you used individual PID controllers. Also I am a little confused by your "software PID" comment. All of the standalone PID controllers use a microcontroller that runs software/firmware to run their PID control algorithm.

If you are choosing to go with the BCS because it will be easier to wire up your control panel then I think you need to do more research on here to understand what all you will need in terms on components and how to wire all of them up properly.

__________________
crane is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,073
Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
No matter how you go about doing temperature control you will have to do some wiring of components. You will need an SSR to switch the 220V on/off to control the heating element. In the end you will have to do the same amount of wiring than if you used individual PID controllers. Also I am a little confused by your "software PID" comment. All of the standalone PID controllers use a microcontroller that runs software/firmware to run their PID control algorithm.

If you are choosing to go with the BCS because it will be easier to wire up your control panel then I think you need to do more research on here to understand what all you will need in terms on components and how to wire all of them up properly.
I think he means he would like to implement PID functionality through software (Arduino style) rather by using a physical PID controller (MyPin or Auberins style).
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
helibrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
crane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 282
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer

I think he means he would like to implement PID functionality through software (Arduino style) rather by using a physical PID controller (MyPin or Auberins style).
Yup. Got that. My point is that however you go about it you still have to build a control panel. His statement of "no hardware building" isn't achievable. I am trying to help him not make a decision based on a fictitious notion that doing it in software will result in no hardware building. I think it is pretty safe to say that nobody on this forum is using a true analog hardware PID controller. That would consist of only opamps, transistors, resistors, capacitors and inductors. However you go about it everyone is using digital PID that runs software/firmware on a microcontroller.
__________________
crane is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
it99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 20
Default

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to build any hardware if I didn't have to. Why isn't there any commercial off the shelf hardware that people can just buy. It just seems like there is a need for this type of hardware and I am surprised that nobody has anything pre-built. I know that every situation is different and might require slightly different hardware.

__________________
it99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: , Southwest Iowa
Posts: 588
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

You've seen these? http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel

or scroll the top banner here: http://www.ebrewsupply.com/

__________________
ThreeDogsNE is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,073
Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by it99 View Post
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to build any hardware if I didn't have to. Why isn't there any commercial off the shelf hardware that people can just buy. It just seems like there is a need for this type of hardware and I am surprised that nobody has anything pre-built. I know that every situation is different and might require slightly different hardware.
Oh they make them, you just need the $$$$
http://www.blichmannengineering.com/..._of_POWER.html
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
helibrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
crane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 282
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

These guys have recently popped up on this forum. They make a prebuilt control panel that uses an arduino with USB connection to a PC to run the control software. But for $3000 it's a bit pricey.

http://www.brewmastercontrols.com/

__________________
crane is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LP Automation Question msexton Electric Brewing 0 10-09-2012 03:12 PM
Compubrew (My custom Electric Brewing Software) allen00se DIY Projects 12 09-14-2012 07:13 PM
Question for HP Propane automation Rion DIY Projects 4 04-04-2012 05:05 PM
Question regarding Automation Direct Relay and LED indicator light terrazza Electric Brewing 4 10-21-2011 02:58 AM
Brewery Software for automation Cold_Steel Brewing Software 8 05-22-2009 12:41 AM