Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Control Panel Build/ Rig upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
de3isit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used a jig saw for the PID and a hole saw for the large outlet on the bottom. A step bit was used for the smaller probe holes.

Primary:
Callyweis Hefe

Secondary:

On Tap:
Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout
Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone
Hop Burst IPA

My Single Tier Build
Control Panel Upgrade

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
de3isit
Recipes 

Update

It is finally cooling off enough to get some work done.

So I took the old control panel off the front of my rig and removed all of the guts from it. Then I mounted a third ignition module it it so that all three burners will be turned on and off at the main control panel. I sealed up all of the holes with metal tape to make it semi-waterproof and mounted it below the gas valves on the right side.
ignition-sub-panel.jpg

Once All of the testing is done The sub panel will be covered with a piece of Diamond plate that I cut to fit over it, so you won't even know the panel is there.

I built three ignition cables to get power from the control panel to the sub panel. They were built in a similar fashion as the temperature probe leads. I didn't use the braided cable on them since the wire is 14 gauge and I ran out of it. Truth be told.
ignition-cables.jpg

I did a quick test to make sure everything works the way it is supposed to and we got fire.

Next is to finish the gas plumbing on the new BK gas valve, mount the RIMS tube and control panel.

I am really struggling on coming up with a good way to mount the RIMS tube and control panel. If anyone has any good suggestions and possible pictures that would be awesome.

Primary:
Callyweis Hefe

Secondary:

On Tap:
Hop Burst IPA

My Single Tier Build
Control Panel Upgrade

Old 09-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #13
de3isit
Recipes 

Update

Got quite a bit done today. I got the new BK gas valve plumbed in and leak tested. All three ignition module are wired up in the sub panel.

hidden-ignition-panel.jpg

I drilled a hole in the diamond plate and put a 3/4" plastic conduit fitting to feed all of the wiring into the sub panel without any potential abrasion.

wire-feed.jpg

Ran a quick ignition test on all of the burners through the control panel. Also got the pump wired as well. Everything worked perfectly.

burner-test.jpg

The only thing left is to mount the RIMS tube and the control panel. Still looking for a good way to mount them both.

rig.jpg

Primary:
Callyweis Hefe

Secondary:

On Tap:
Hop Burst IPA

My Single Tier Build
Control Panel Upgrade

Old 09-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
MDhokiehb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Hey thanks for posting all the pictures and diagrams this is similar to what I'm trying to do with my sculpture. What kind of gas valves did you use? I'm having trouble trying to pick out the right ones and the price variance is ridiculous. Thanks and keep the updates coming!

Old 09-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3isit View Post

My skills do not allow me to make changes to P-J's schematic so I will just list them.
  • Removed the PID on the BK and just made it a push button
  • Added a push button to direct fire the MLT via electonic ignition
  • Added a second Pump
  • Removed the power button
I discovered your thread this morning so I went and modified the drawing so that it fits your description a little better.

I didn't include a push button for the MLT as the PID SYL-2342 has a manual mode built in so a separate switch for direct fire is not needed.
(Just saying).

And as always - click on the image to see and save a full scale diagram that is printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Anyway, I hope this helps you.

P-J

Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
de3isit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDhokiehb View Post
Hey thanks for posting all the pictures and diagrams this is similar to what I'm trying to do with my sculpture. What kind of gas valves did you use? I'm having trouble trying to pick out the right ones and the price variance is ridiculous. Thanks and keep the updates coming!
I used the Honeywell VR8345M4302 with the S8610U3009 ignition module and the Q3451U1000 intermittent pilot burner. Let me know if you need any other info.

Primary:
Callyweis Hefe

Secondary:

On Tap:
Hop Burst IPA

My Single Tier Build
Control Panel Upgrade

Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
de3isit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I discovered your thread this morning so I went and modified the drawing so that it fits your description a little better.

I didn't include a push button for the MLT as the PID SYL-2342 has a manual mode built in so a separate switch for direct fire is not needed.
(Just saying).

And as always - click on the image to see and save a full scale diagram that is printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

P-J
Thanks. The reason for the MLT having a separate push button is because there is a gas valve for the HLT and the MLT. The HLT goes through the SLY-2342 and the MLT is just on/off to preheat water. I figured since I had three burners already why not use them all.

Primary:
Callyweis Hefe

Secondary:

On Tap:
Hop Burst IPA

My Single Tier Build
Control Panel Upgrade

Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3isit View Post
Thanks. The reason for the MLT having a separate push button is because there is a gas valve for the HLT and the MLT. The HLT goes through the SLY-2342 and the MLT is just on/off to preheat water. I figured since I had three burners already why not use them all.
Ok - I understand now. I didn't realize that you had set up a 3 vessel system (HLT, MLT & BOIL - plus the RIMS). I thought you were wanting 2 separate control methods for a single vessel HLT/MLT

I'll see what I can do to come up with a new version of the diagram for you. Just give me a day or two.

P-J

Old 09-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #19
de3isit
Recipes 

Update

Today I performed a boil test and an auto tune on the PID's. This is my first tome using PID's, so it took a little research to understand the needed settings to get them to work correctly. The RIMS tube auto tune was super easy and quick. The HLT gas valve auto tune, on the other hand, took a quite a bit longer. I had to run it twice before it worked. It kept over shooting the set value by about 3 degrees, but eventually dialed it in.

boil-test.jpg

After the boil test I cut a piece of flat stock to mock up the RIMS tube placement. Currently it is held in place with a c-clamp. I have a brew scheduled for next Sunday. After that I will weld the a bracket in place if everything works well.

rims-tube-mock-up.jpg

Primary:
Callyweis Hefe

Secondary:

On Tap:
Hop Burst IPA

My Single Tier Build
Control Panel Upgrade

Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
P-J
Recipes 

de3isit,

I modified the drawing and hope it now fits your desired result a lot better.
Please let me know.

P-J

Quick Reply