Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Control Box on Wall Instead of Brewstand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
manoaction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Ah I didn't catch that the OP is using a BCS for his controller. In that case I don't know why you are talking about extending thermocouples as the BCS only accepts thermistors. I prefer and thermistors myself. Their high resistance makes the resistance of the wire negligible and they are easy to interface with once you calculate the steinhart coefficients
Well that's good to know. I really appreciate all of the information. I've started with a single PID and was planning to graduate to BCS in the near future. I hadn't realized that I'd need to switch out probes. Do you have strong preferences about your thermosisters? I see that Brewer's Hardware has a line of them... http://www.brewershardware.com/6-Tem...r-BCS-460.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #12
crane
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have used thermistors from brewers hardware, Omega and some others I got from Digikey. I have had no problems with any of them once I got my analog front end working correctly to filter out power supply noise. All of them have been accurate within 0.1F in both an ice bath and boiling water so I have had no need calibrate an offset for any of them.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Didn't see this thread for a week, but better late than never.

I have a BCS mounted on the wall near my fermentation chamber. It controls the fermenter temperature directly. I use two CAT-5 cables to send all signals out to the brewery control cabinet. There is no problem having the CAT-5 connectors mounted on the box on the wall with the BCS nor on the brewery control. I'm using pre-made CAT-5 cables 16' long for the connection. When nothing is running in my garage the temperature probe for the freezer reads within .2 deg. of the ones in the brewery, showing me that there is no problem with the extra distance.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
chadillac7819
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
Didn't see this thread for a week, but better late than never.

I have a BCS mounted on the wall near my fermentation chamber. It controls the fermenter temperature directly. I use two CAT-5 cables to send all signals out to the brewery control cabinet. There is no problem having the CAT-5 connectors mounted on the box on the wall with the BCS nor on the brewery control. I'm using pre-made CAT-5 cables 16' long for the connection. When nothing is running in my garage the temperature probe for the freezer reads within .2 deg. of the ones in the brewery, showing me that there is no problem with the extra distance.
ChuckO, do you have a wiring schematic you could share? I have almost all of the supplies for my system (BCS controlled Ferm 24/7 and brewery control on demand) and I want to start planning my control panel. Also, any pics of our set up would be really helpful.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac7819 View Post
ChuckO, do you have a wiring schematic you could share? I have almost all of the supplies for my system (BCS controlled Ferm 24/7 and brewery control on demand) and I want to start planning my control panel. Also, any pics of our set up would be really helpful.
Here's a copy of the wiring schematic. At present I don't have any useable photos of the setup though.

I'm not happy with the program that created my wiring schematic, but I will try to explain anything that isn't clear.
File Type: pdf brewery_and_fermenter_control.pdf (29.0 KB, 30 views)

Quick Reply