Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Brewtroller vs BCS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #51
Stevorino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So this is what I'm gathering from this thread so far:

Both systems are great.

Both have the capability to run more processes than you will ever need.

BCS is faster & easier to get from unboxing to brewing. This advantage scales largely depending on your coding knowledge.

BT has volume sensing, which could be a decision maker for some.

BCS has full mobile support, BT currently has android support and is anticipating iOS support soon.

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #52
hypergolic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Is there some information on the Android interface for BT? I tried googling and they only thing I found was a short youtube video that didn't show much.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #53
HumanGarbage
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino View Post
So this is what I'm gathering from this thread so far:

Both systems are great.

Both have the capability to run more processes than you will ever need.

BCS is faster & easier to get from unboxing to brewing. This advantage scales largely depending on your coding knowledge.

BT has volume sensing, which could be a decision maker for some.

BCS has full mobile support, BT currently has android support and is anticipating iOS support soon.
Yup that is pretty much it in a nutshell. However BT does now have iOS support (iPad + iPhone at least).

I went BT. The volume sensing is what did it for me. The open source nature appealed as well. That said, you can't go wrong with either.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #54
Mpez
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here are some thoughts from me on my blog. I have owned and used both systems now.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #55
chadillac7819
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpez View Post
Here are some thoughts from me on my blog. I have owned and used both systems now.
Mpez, great insight on the two systems on your blog. I was debating for some time and was searching for this kind of real-world review. I finally settled on the BCS 462 since it could do ferm AND brew duty on one machine AND had remote access, not just monitoring. Those features seemed much more usable than volume measurement and reading about your experiences has helped to remove any buyer’s remorse.

BTW - Have you considered reprogramming your DX1 as a permanent fermentation controller? I think that their Fermtroller firmware will load onto it so it won’t be a waste of money. Just a thought.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #56
psbuckland
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know this thread was a flame war for a while...but I am glad to see it back on track. We seem to have an emotional tie to each of our systems and I can appreciate that.

It is interesting in the varied experiences between users of the DX1. I had the exact opposite experience. My setup was not challenging, a few small issues were resolved quickly, and I got what I wanted.

My main goal was to shorten my brew day, have manual/auto control to move liquor/wort, and have temperature control. I viewed the DX1 as more of a brew day manager...stepping though each phase either manually or automatically. My goals were met as I can set the DX1 to delay start before I even get out of bed. It fills the HLT to the calculated level, heats it to strike temp and fills the MLT(from the bottom), auto refills the HLT, and starts mashing using the HERMS coil. Thats when I show up and stir and have a cup of coffee while mashing. I am almost halfway done with brewing and just showed up.
I wasn't able to find a BCS system successfully operating this way, although it may exist. Good luck to all on their venture!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #57
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbuckland
I know this thread was a flame war for a while...but I am glad to see it back on track. We seem to have an emotional tie to each of our systems and I can appreciate that.

It is interesting in the varied experiences between users of the DX1. I had the exact opposite experience. My setup was not challenging, a few small issues were resolved quickly, and I got what I wanted.

My main goal was to shorten my brew day, have manual/auto control to move liquor/wort, and have temperature control. I viewed the DX1 as more of a brew day manager...stepping though each phase either manually or automatically. My goals were met as I can set the DX1 to delay start before I even get out of bed. It fills the HLT to the calculated level, heats it to strike temp and fills the MLT(from the bottom), auto refills the HLT, and starts mashing using the HERMS coil. Thats when I show up and stir and have a cup of coffee while mashing. I am almost halfway done with brewing and just showed up.
I wasn't able to find a BCS system successfully operating this way, although it may exist. Good luck to all on their venture!
Agreed the BCS and the BT both have their strengths. Both systems require a certain amount of effort and electrical knowledge to get desired results. I have two BCS's and getting a BT to play with. I'm not interested in volume sensing but more interested in learning something new like when I started brewing. Ultimately one of the the things that keeps me interested in brewing is the DIY aspect of building my brewery.

I can only comment on what I've read about the BT but have real world experience with the BCS. The BCS is capable of achieving what you have with the BT but instead of setting your volume requirement in the programming you would set it mechanically by moving a sensor to the desired level on your sight glass. If I had a need for volume sensing I like this method because no sensors touch the wort. Another more intrusive option is an adjustable float. I use a tankless hot water heater and have no need to pre- heat water for mash or HERMS as it is available on demand. One thing I decide when automating was to keep "ME" in the process. I think of the automation as a assistant that keeps temps and watches timers letting me know with different buzzers to intervene and switch a hose, add hops or stir the mash. Sure I could hard pipe the plumbing, add a bunch of actuated ball valves, put in a motorized grain mill with grain shoot, etc. but I like being involved.

In the end the BCS has allot to offer and I have not even scratched the surface, and I'm sure the BT does as well. I made the decision on the BCS based mainly on the simple operation, basic set up and intuitive web interface. I all ready use a computer for my brew day with Beer smith and the web interface seemed like a good fit with my brewery design.

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Quick Reply