Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Brewtroller vs BCS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
brewmastercontrols
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

RTL thanks for the response. We are always looking for input as to features and design elements to incorporate or make better.

Quote:
1. With the way it is laid out it looks like the panel is very tight making expandability by the end user nearly impossible, especially without a complete system schematic. Will you include a schematic with a shipped system? Would you consider putting it in a bigger enclosure for someone considering running 3 or more elements?
Basic schematics are included for buyers. Currently we are working with a microbrewery to run six elements, three pumps, and a fermentation system. This is done via modules added to the main control system, this works easier than routing all the power through the main unit, a home brewer could do the same. Custom expansion is possible but we built the current design to cover the majority of the HERMS and RIMS brewers out there today. The hot side user interface can be seen below.

Quote:
2. From the "system schematic" it looks like 3 probes can only be used for heating and 3 probes can only be used for cooling. Is that a correct assumption? If so how do you propose someone controls a heated/cooled fermentation chamber?
Yes this is how the base system is designed. It is our goal to provide a system that is ready to brew out of the box and we decided upon this configuration to cover the largest possible segment of brewers. Adding a heating option for fermentation control will be taken on as a design consideration.

Quote:
3. My design right now includes HOA switches so I can override automatic control anytime with a simple flip of a switch; without slamming my E-stop. This comes in handy when trying to get every last drop out of the HLT or the BK and waiting to shut the pump off at the last second. Without an HOA switch I would be concerned about fumbling around for a mouse to shut off my pumps.
I use a wireless mouse and keyboard in my brew house. I was also worried about not having physical switches but actually I find it easier than reaching for switches and controls as you have total control from anywhere in the room.

Quote:
4. I only have a Mac.
We only support Windows at the moment, although we are planning to test upon linux and offer an embedded control option at some point.

Quote:
5. The overview mentions that the system can be configured to reduce power if you are running on 30A service. Does that mean it will run both elements at once while simultaneously keeping the current draw below 30A?
Currently we simply shut one element off on the production systems, although on my test rig I have been working with a setup where the brewer inputs the element sizes and maximum amperage to use then based on these the system throttles the PWM to one element to keep below the maximum amperage. I expect to release this in the near future.

Quote:
6. Would you consider selling partial systems with the controller, software, and a schematic, so that the end user could finish the system to their own design?
We will work with anyone on custom design. As I mentioned above we are working currently with a microbrewery on a specific design. It is very easy for us to do this as the logic is all reusable, really just a few controls in the GUI get changed or duplicated.

Thank you for your input. Again, we welcome any feedback on features you would like to see implemented!

Dustin

Check out our National Home Brew Day Give Away we are giving away a pICO HERMS or RIMS electric brewing control system, a value over $2250!

Looking for an electric brewery HERMS, RIMS, and Fermentation control? www.brewmastercontrols.com provides a pre assembled and tested ready to brew control solution out of the box.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/signatur...pic28592_2.gif

Last edited by brewmastercontrols; 11-29-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Typo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
RTL
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the detailed response. Maybe when I have some money I'll hit you up about a custom system.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #23
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I went with the brewtroller. The fexablity of the system are what made up my mind. Now with the new software it seams like it was the best choice for me.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman34 View Post
The flexablity of the system are what made up my mind.
That's funny, this is why I chose the BCS! I think it really comes down to what you want out of a system. The BCS was designed from the beginning as a web based interface. The BT was designed as a hardware (LCD & rotary knob) interface. Both systems continue to mature and are adding features to allow alternate methods of control. It's really a user preference as to what direction to go.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
psbuckland
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You're right. It comes down to user preference and the level of automation you desire. There is no question the BT offers more advanced features and is far more flexible than the bcS. The rotary knob also makes it an autonomous system, not relying on a computer to brew.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
JonW

Recipes 

LOL - you guys kill me. Saying the BT is more advanced and far more flexible is not accurate. Part of the power of the BCS is it's ability be be configured for any brewing system and style. It's funny that you tout the feature of the rotary knob and being an autonomous system, but yet I see tons of BT people asking for a computer interface!

My BCS runs my kegerator, fermenter (cooling & heating), smoker and brewing system all at the same time. My smoker is a Bradley system that has an automated puck feeder. I ripped the control box out and wired it all up to the BCS for controlling wood feeding, temperature and times. Show me a BT controller that can do all that.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #27
psbuckland
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You're pretty funny. It is very accurate that the BT is more advanced (volume sensing, smart herms) and I'm not sorry you are so personally involved. The menus also make it more user friendly.

Wow...the job of 4 auber PID's in one package. Impressive. Not a big selling point in my book.

We do want some sort of web based monitoring for the BT...but we also enjoy the stand alone aspect when we go brew with the club. Wait..do you take a laptop and router?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #28
JonW

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbuckland View Post
Wow...the job of 4 auber PID's in one package. Impressive. Not a big selling point in my book.
See now, right there you're showing that you really know nothing about the BCS system. You can make comparisons of actual differences if you wish, but you need to know what you're comparing it to. Just making blanket statements that the BT is more advanced doesn't make it so.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #29
psbuckland
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ditto.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #30
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbuckland
You're pretty funny. It is very accurate that the BT is more advanced (volume sensing, smart herms) and I'm not sorry you are so personally involved. The menus also make it more user friendly.

We do want some sort of web based monitoring for the BT...but we also enjoy the stand alone aspect when we go brew with the club. Wait..do you take a laptop and router?
Serious.. Your making it sound like taking a laptop is inconvenient you don't use brew software? Considering everything else you would need to brew mobile I think a laptop is the least of my worries. A router is not required unless you want to control/monitor your BCS via WiFi anywhere with just about any mobile computing device including using a custom iPhone interface. :-) To me this make the BCS more advanced and way more user friendly.

The BCS is allot more than four PID's and that statement alone shows your lack of knowledge of the BCS.

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Quick Reply