Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Brewtroller vs BCS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
psbuckland
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The Brewtroller is going through some major changes to make it more user friendly. The hardware is DIN rail friendly, making for a clean install and the new software is going to take alot of the DIY feel out of it.
I chose the BT because it is more versatile and offers more advanced features. Brewtroller supports volume measurement...so it fills your hlt and mlt to the correct levels. Very cool....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #12
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Can we get pic's of some of these rigs

I have the main components for twin BT systems cause one wont Handel 2- two vessel systems

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #13
RTL
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thank you, has has all been helpful. I don't think I'd use it for auto fill because I simply wouldn't trust it. Failure of a valve or switch could be disastrous so if I did it I would be standing over it watching and it would just be to say that my system can fill itself. That's just me personally though, I don't trust the machine.

I think as of now I'm leaning toward BCS462 but it will be a long time before I buy anything.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTL View Post
Thank you, has has all been helpful. I don't think I'd use it for auto fill because I simply wouldn't trust it. Failure of a valve or switch could be disastrous so if I did it I would be standing over it watching and it would just be to say that my system can fill itself. That's just me personally though, I don't trust the machine.

I think as of now I'm leaning toward BCS462 but it will be a long time before I buy anything.
I agree auto fill with volume sensors adds a whole new level of complication, things to go wrong and gadgets to clean. I like the KISS in automation and also like to be involved with the brew process. To achieve full automation with one touch is of no interest to me. Although you can use the BCS to fill to desired volume by manually setting a float switch in the vessel to be filled or use a moveable sensor on your sight glass. The main functional difference between BCS and Brewtroller would be manually setting a level sensing device verses programming it. Unless you are going to have automatic hop additions that pre measure your hops, a grain mill and chute with measuring capability etc…where does it end? There is a "Cool" factor about it but it is overkill for most.

I look at the automation as a tool to help me be consistent and create repeatable brews. I can fill my kettles to a desired volume as accurately as any automation so there is no benefit for me to automate it. I have my processes set up to sound a buzzer when my intervention is needed. Important things like Mash temps, mash timers, hop additions, boil timers are 100% repeatable using basic timers, automated heat and automated pump control.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
I look at the automation as a tool to help me be consistent and create repeatable brews. I can fill my kettles to a desired volume as accurately as any automation so there is no benefit for me to automate it. I have my processes set up to sound a buzzer when my intervention is needed. Important things like Mash temps, mash timers, hop additions, boil timers are 100% repeatable using basic timers, automated heat and automated pump control.
I agree 100% with the statements above. The BCS can get you there quick and easy.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
psbuckland
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

To each his own. You need to have trust in all of your equipment. Why do you trust PIDs? They could easily have a thermocouple fail and go full heat until ur brew is destroyed. But if you want to be that involved in the brew, you would be right there to catch it. With your goals, the BCS or BT can get you there. I feel the new BT products are easier to use than BCS. No major programming to do, as everything is loaded on the LCD and manipulated via the encoder. The least advanced BT can get you there cheaper too.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
brewmastercontrols
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

We have recently added an offering to the market in this segment. Please have a look at www.brewmastercontrols.com. This project started out as my eBrew build and turned into a system we now offer to home brewers and microbreweries.

Our offering is very different in the fact that it is ready to run out of the box with no assembly. Further the system controls both the hot and cold side processes using a windows based graphical user interface that is easy to learn and use.

Please have a look at the feature list here and the user guides here.

Cheers

Dustin

Check out our National Home Brew Day Give Away we are giving away a pICO HERMS or RIMS electric brewing control system, a value over $2250!

Looking for an electric brewery HERMS, RIMS, and Fermentation control? www.brewmastercontrols.com provides a pre assembled and tested ready to brew control solution out of the box.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/signatur...pic28592_2.gif

Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmastercontrols
We have recently added an offering to the market in this segment. Please have a look at www.brewmastercontrols.com. This project started out as my eBrew build and turned into a system we now offer to home brewers and microbreweries.

Our offering is very different in the fact that it is ready to run out of the box with no assembly. Further the system controls both the hot and cold side processes using a windows based graphical user interface that is easy to learn and use.

Please have a look at the feature list here and the user guides here.

Cheers
Cool set up! Nice GUI.

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
brewmastercontrols
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Thank you for the kind words. We tried to make the GUI as simple yet elegant as possible while still keeping some of the functions like a multi-step mash, hop addition timer, or fermentation schedule control very powerful.

We are seeking input for additional features and or ways to get better! If you have any input let us know!

Planed in the near future are tank level sensing modules and electric valve control modules. These will add on to the base system in the same modular way that is used with the base system and fermentation control.

Cheers

Dustin

Check out our National Home Brew Day Give Away we are giving away a pICO HERMS or RIMS electric brewing control system, a value over $2250!

Looking for an electric brewery HERMS, RIMS, and Fermentation control? www.brewmastercontrols.com provides a pre assembled and tested ready to brew control solution out of the box.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/signatur...pic28592_2.gif

Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #20
RTL
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I like the GUI and the concept of a fully built plug and play panel. Having said that I have a lot of questions and concerns that I didn't see on the website. Please do not take offense to these they are just questions/things to think about as you progress. It would be nice to have a plug and play control panel built for brewers by brewers, and this is a very big first step. Great job so far.

A few questions:
1. With the way it is laid out it looks like the panel is very tight making expandability by the end user nearly impossible, especially without a complete system schematic. Will you include a schematic with a shipped system? Would you consider putting it in a bigger enclosure for someone considering running 3 or more elements?

2. From the "system schematic" it looks like 3 probes can only be used for heating and 3 probes can only be used for cooling. Is that a correct assumption? If so how do you propose someone controls a heated/cooled fermentation chamber?

3. My design right now includes HOA switches so I can override automatic control anytime with a simple flip of a switch; without slamming my E-stop. This comes in handy when trying to get every last drop out of the HLT or the BK and waiting to shut the pump off at the last second. Without an HOA switch I would be concerned about fumbling around for a mouse to shut off my pumps.

4. I only have a Mac.

5. The overview mentions that the system can be configured to reduce power if you are running on 30A service. Does that mean it will run both elements at once while simultaneously keeping the current draw below 30A?

6. Would you consider selling partial systems with the controller, software, and a schematic, so that the end user could finish the system to their own design?

Thanks, for posting about this, please keep us updated with your progress.

Last edited by RTL; 11-28-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Missed something

Quick Reply