Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Brewtroller on an Arduino Mega Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

The issue is setting up the inputs and outputs to match whichever *troller board you are trying to emulate. Once you have done that the code changes are pretty minor, just a few tweaks to HWprofile.h and possibly the FastPin library. So I suggest to download that free version of Eagle, design a shield based on the schematics published on the Oscsys site, and then worry about the code.

Personally I had a ET-AVR 128 stamp knocking about and decided to use that instead. It is cheap ($23 from Futurlec) and has more than 50 IO pins, in a form factor which is more amenable to breadboard/stripboard than the Arduino Mega. If you don't already have an AVR programmer you need to get one (you can use an Arduino for this) because the stamp doesn't have a USB port or come with a boot loader pre-installed. I needed to write some code in the FastPin library to support this chip which took all of about half an hour. I'm happy to share if anybody is interested.

For the shield I used a big piece of stripboard. I threw on optocoupled digital inputs and RC filtered analogue inputs, a DS2482 onewire bus driver, and RS485 interface chip similar to the *troller schematics. I deviated slightly on the outputs, going with logic level MOSFETs and a ULN2803A relay driver. I had to put the DS2482 on a SOIC8 breakout board but everything else was possible using easy through hole soldering. At some point I'll post the details, not that I really envisage anybody wanting to copy exactly what I did, but just to show that it is possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #22
naemlss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsap View Post
Hi guys. I just got an update via email on this thread almost a year after I gave up on it. I'm really excited that people are still doing this. I stopped because the project was too much for me to do singlehandedly because of Law School. Someone suggested that we get the code up on GitHub. I strongly suggest that be done. Instead of everyone working individually if everyone throws in on the same copy of the code we could get a working batch of BrewMega code together for all of us and anyone who would want to use it in the future. Let's do this together.
I absolutely agree. There are already some great codes in progress on Github, but a fully complete tutorial on how to flash brew trollers code onto a RPI, or BBB would be nice.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
alien
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naemlss View Post
I absolutely agree. There are already some great codes in progress on Github, but a fully complete tutorial on how to flash brew trollers code onto a RPI, or BBB would be nice.
RPi and BB are both Linux. BrewTroller is for Arduino type microcontrollers - different beast.

If you're interested in going the linux route the TeensyPi project is a good jumping off point.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
naemlss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got it. Saw the teensy pie was originally based off of an arduino/RPI mashup. I thought they used the same OS and language. Which set up would you recommend if a person is wanting to learn to code?

Old 12-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #25
hepkat701
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm still a bit new to Arduino but I'd like to get in on this. I like the idea of setting up a wiki. I know websites and would be willing to set up a website dedicated to this project. I have always been a bit disappointed with the display on the brewtroller, no disrespect to its creator, it is a great product. I would like to try and modify the code to use a 3.3" touch screen interface instead of the small LCD with encoder. Just an idea....

Old 12-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
alien
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naemlss View Post
Got it. Saw the teensy pie was originally based off of an arduino/RPI mashup. I thought they used the same OS and language. Which set up would you recommend if a person is wanting to learn to code?
If you don't already have the hardware you could do worse than buy the least expensive BrewTroller board, install the latest BrewTroller software, and take it from there.

If you already have an RPi, Arduino or whatever, then use what you have.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
naemlss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After hours of research I am going to go with the RPI built into an arduino. I'm curious to know if you could be running the modified brew troller off of the arduino, and then if you need more functionality building extras off of either end. There is a lot of great work out there already that is free and available for both systems.

As for touch screens there is a 134 dollar plug in play that is roughly 10 inches. I can't remember the name. It shows up when googling RPI touchscreen.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
alien
Recipes 

Check out BrewPi, you might want to take a look at the shield/case/software/documentation.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 12-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
hepkat701
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien
Check out BrewPi, you might want to take a look at the shield/case/software/documentation.
I don't fully understand BrewPi... Sorry, like I said I'm a bit new. Can I get a basic explanation please. The website assumes you know what it is ...

Old 12-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Not Sure why people are mentioning BrewPi and TeensyPi in this...both of those are fermentation controllers for a fridge, or fermenting temperatures in general.

BrewTroller as i understand it is an automation system for running a RIMS/HERMS/Direct Fire system during the actual brew process.

That said i run BrewPi and its amazing, i recommend it for anyone with a fridge the graphs i get to track the temp are amazing.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Quick Reply