Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Brewbot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
mdreyer93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I saw this too and had the same thoughts as all of you. I wish they went more into the details of how it works at least somewhere on the site. Like, how does it chill, how do you rack from the fermenters, stir the boil/mash, etc. This seemed geared toward people who don't already brew.

I do like the stainless/reclaim wood look though. It'd be cool to try out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Its a hipster brew tower!!!!

Ok its an interesting concept. I just dont see it being a practical purchase for anyone

Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

I don't have an iPhone, so I guess I'm out.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #14
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Its a really interesting concept, wish they explained a bit more of how it would work. Not sure how the stackable fermenters would work, no airlock? How would you rack out of one?

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Old 09-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
crane
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I want to see a video of it in use making beer, not just one of water being pumped around and heated a few degrees. They claim they have a working prototype but there are a lot of details now discussed like a false bottom for the mash tun and something to filter the hops in the boil kettle.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
rmullins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
I want to see a video of it in use making beer, not just one of water being pumped around and heated a few degrees. They claim they have a working prototype but there are a lot of details now discussed like a false bottom for the mash tun and something to filter the hops in the boil kettle.
Had similar questions to you. Also, how do you hook up water sources.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #17
RickH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ok, I am going to have to play the bad guy here. To me it seems like a metal pan with a heat plate and chiller below it, and a valve that will allow it to gravity to the vessel below. Using shallow metal pans would allow something like an induction heater or two to be used. It seems like a nothing more than it fills the amount of water, then follows a heating and timing schedule. From the video you have to add everything yourself, it just controls temp and moves it to the vessel below which appears to be steam pans. I will say its larger than that ones I linked below. But it just seems like heating and cooling timers. I would suspect the fermentation takes place elsewhere which the type of pans would easily allow them to be set on a temp controlled surface or placed in something larger that is similar to a bread proofer(Think Subway sandwiches)

http://www.polarware.com/food-servic...eted-cover.php

Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #18
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I agree with you RickH - for $2500 you could build a who lot more with more function/capacity. I can see people with money to burn buying these things, making a few batches and then moving on to the next toy.
Realistically you could build a BIAB RIMS countertop setup for (don't nail me to this) ~$500 (~$500 FOR A 2.5 Gallon eBIAB). In the not so distant future I would like to build a external boiler eBIAB (RIMS tube for mash & boiling), should be sweet for test batches

RickH Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i'm not into it. it oversimplifies the process so "anyone can be a brewer". i can see a lot of trust fund hipster types in the bar boasting about how they're homebrewers with one of these things. plus it seems to only do small batches and it's process is limited. kinda like a microwave for homebrewing. if they got picked up by keurig we could even buy IPA k-cups.

i would think you could do the same with a raspberry pi setup and a bit more coding. if i had an all electric setup to mess with i would consider working on something like this.

Pipeline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPopeil View Post
i'm not into it. it oversimplifies the process so "anyone can be a brewer". i can see a lot of trust fund hipster types in the bar boasting about how they're homebrewers with one of these things. plus it seems to only do small batches and it's process is limited. kinda like a microwave for homebrewing. if they got picked up by keurig we could even buy IPA k-cups.

i would think you could do the same with a raspberry pi setup and a bit more coding. if i had an all electric setup to mess with i would consider working on something like this.
You could do the same with an Arduino - and as part of the open source creative commons licence of Arduino both PicoBrew and Brewbot should have to release their code (not sure how much use that would be though)
I really wish I had the money to play with to develop a "cheap" alternative, I suppose I could reduce some costs initially by not using automated valves and just pausing with an alarm to move the hose to the next step

Quick Reply