New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Best methods to raise and lower grain basket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
GarrettVD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Best methods to raise and lower grain basket?

Hi all,

Currently working on a fully-automated brew keggle rig. Completely automated via my Raspberry Pi, and subsequently though a local web application. It's coming along nicely; most of the programming-side of has been completed, so I'm just wrapping up some of the loose ends.

Just curious regarding the best way to raise and lower a grain basket into the strike water / out of the mash? What kind of levers / motors should I look into? I was also considering just dropping the 10-12 lbs of grain right into a BIAB inside of the keggle.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't know much about levers and motors...but I would use a simple ratchet pulley for lifting and draining a bag or basket full of grain.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 04-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
GarrettVD
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks; I figured I am going to use a winch, like this one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Electric-Hoist-1-1-4-HP-110V/H0779

That should do the trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I don't know much about levers and motors...but I would use a simple ratchet pulley for lifting and draining a bag or basket full of grain.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
craigmw
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, given that this is in the automation forum, how about something like this:

http://www.bimba.com/Products-and-Cad/Actuators/Inch/NFPA/Low-Profile/TC-Series-Telescoping/

Yeah, it would require a source for compressed air, but having some compressed air around can be super handy for cleaning out grain mills, etc. While there may be a few issues to work out, the upside is that no overhead structure is required. If you are brewing outdoors, this could be an interesting way to go.

Quick Reply