Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > BCS 460 or....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #11
Hullguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I, too, found the Brewtroller more than adequate. I'm not an IT person and was able to set the Brewtroller up relatively easyBeen using one for over 3 years with great success!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I too have a Brewtroller (and a fermtroller) and really like it. I haven't automated liquid transfer yet but it's on my list of upgrades. Plus the Brewtroller guys, Matt and Jeremiah, are awesome. Just last month I had an issue with the fermtroller, turned out the chip wasn't suitable to run the newest software version (I repurposed a very old version of a Brewtroller board). Jeremiah asked that I ship it to him for troubleshooting, he upgraded the chip at no cost not even shipping. Talk about service!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
ArmOnFire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbuckland View Post
You really need to first have a goal...then you can decide which system to get. Both require a bit of effort and DIY and each offer it's own strengths and weaknesses. I went the Brewtroller path and am satisfied with the end result.

My main goal was to shorten my brew day, have manual/auto control to move liquor/wort, and have temperature control. I viewed the DX1 as more of a brew day manager...stepping though each phase either manually or automatically. My goals were met as I can set the DX1 to delay start before I even get out of bed. It fills the HLT to the calculated level, heats it to strike temp and fills the MLT(from the bottom), auto refills the HLT, and starts mashing using the HERMS coil. Thats when I show up and stir and have a cup of coffee while mashing. I am almost halfway done with brewing and just showed up.

I wasn't able to find a BCS system successfully operating this way, although it may exist. Good luck in your build.
That sounds like a great system to shorten your brew day.
I like that idea of having it start before you wake up.

Domestic beer - that which is made at your home.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #14
redbrewsathome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I posted some of my build and then read this thread. Seems to be just what I did as well. I went with the brewtroller because of the extra features, but had started with an EBS 50A basic kit and now do have alot of extra switches and lights!! Also went through a couple of the key switches the plastic plunger that pushes the contacts doesnt work as nice as I would have liked. Now I just use an on/off switch, so I guess if the kids wanna start brew day for me they can!!
Set up of the brewtroller was easy and worked right away, though I'm not using the valve out put yet or volum but will be.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:21 AM   #15
kenh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is anyone using one of these?
http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code =BrewPanel&Category_Code=BCON

He claims to have a interlock that automatically switches power between outlets. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my controller, really I'm moving the parts from a sheet of plywood into a proper box, and I'd love to see if I can use the same idea in my controller. Mostly I'd like to heat my sparge water while doing my mash.

Last edited by kenh; 01-21-2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Spelling correction, I need to stop mixing beer and typing!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #16
ArmOnFire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh View Post
Is anyone using one of these?
http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code =BrewPanel&Category_Code=BCON

He claims to have a interlock that automatically switches power between outlets. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my controller, really I'm moving the parts from a sheet of plywood into a proper box, and I'd love to see if I can use the same idea in my controller. Mostly I'd like to heat my sparge water while doing my mash.
My brew partner ordered the smaller version of that from kegkits.com
http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code =BC-240V&Category_Code=CNTRL

He hasn't taken possesion of it yet, but I will let you know how it works.

For my project, I decided to go with the raspi brew....http://raspibrew.com/

All the parts are on order, playing with the raspi right now...I will post build pics and lessons learned I promise...

Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #17
kenh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmOnFire View Post
My brew partner ordered the smaller version of that from kegkits.com
http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code =BC-240V&Category_Code=CNTRL

He hasn't taken possesion of it yet, but I will let you know how it works.

For my project, I decided to go with the raspi brew....http://raspibrew.com/

All the parts are on order, playing with the raspi right now...I will post build pics and lessons learned I promise...
I saw that one too but I did not notice that it also has his interlock circuit. I'm not interested in ordering anything from www.kegkits.com, I just want to know how he's making the interlock work so that I can add the same to my controller. I only have a 30 amp feed and I would love to be able to heat my sparge water while my mash is running.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #18
ArmOnFire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I should have said that I am going to use raspibrew as a starting point for my system....it is kicking my butt right now though....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-05-2014, 03:32 AM   #19
ArmOnFire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've ordered from a few vendors for this build and must say that Electric Brewing Supply is top notch. Packaging, instructions, delivery....everything, now I just need to put this together....

Thank You!

Quick Reply