Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Basic arduino questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Eighty2Fifty1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Basic arduino questions.

I was kicking around the idea of using Arduino to heat and possibly cool my fermentation chamber. It's 60 cf of space, so I was planning on using a pair of 100 watt light bulbs for heat. I think it would be pretty cool to have it hooked up to the internet and be able to control it remotely. Obviously, I'm going to have to learn all the programming, but I'm trying to figure out what hardware I need.

*Arduino Uno for the brains of the system.
*Relays to power the bulbs, since the Uno can't handle the current or voltage. (2-100W light bulbs draw 1.6A at 120VAC) I was looking at thesehttp://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/in...t_detail&p=155
*Temperature sensor, possibly more than one
*A wireless shield to allow the Uno to connect to my home router. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWirelessShield
*Light bulb fixtures

I was also wondering if I could use an old laptop in place of the wireless shield. That way, I could also hook up a webcam so I could watch my beer ferment.

Any input?

Beer is not the answer. Beer is the question. Yes is the answer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Similar project...

I'm using the Uno and / or Mega2560 along with the Ethernet Shield to monitor and display temperature readings using DS18B20 temp sensors. I use powerline adapters to use my house wiring as an intranet, but I'm also looking at the Copperhead WiFi shield, as it's standard 802.11b which allows encryption, instead of the ZigBee.

So far, I've hooked up 15 temp sensors on my breadboard, and can display them either as a text file:

or a Steel Canvas:

There are also other parts available that can be used to control SSRs, etc.

I bought a buttload (ok, 50) of the DS18B20 sensors from china for less than a buck each, and am going to mate them to the hundreds of ethernet cables I have laying around, then use a modified patch panel to bring it all together.

My eventual plan is to have one for my brew stand, on for my fermentation chamber, and one for my storage fridges, and monitor them all via my intranet.

Cogito, ergo bibere cervisia sum

Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Eighty2Fifty1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Very cool, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you when it comes to setting that up.

What is the difference between the Mega and the Uno? Is it just the number of I/O pins?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

I think I'd vote for keeping things simple. The more boxes that are involved, the more that can go wrong.

Bob

Old 06-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty2Fifty1 View Post
Very cool, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you when it comes to setting that up.

What is the difference between the Mega and the Uno? Is it just the number of I/O pins?
The Mega has more codespace and ram available, and more inputs/outputs. The code running above uses most of the Uno codespace, but about a quarter of the Mega codespace.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

I think I'd vote for keeping things simple. The more boxes that are involved, the more that can go wrong.

Bob
The great thing about the arduino is that you can make it as simple or as complex as you like.

I'm running the above on just two boards, the arduino and an ethernet shield. Everything else is part of my current household setup. I use powerline to transfer movies from my 5 terabyte media server to my home entertainment center, my zoneminder security cam system, as well as my homemade monster DVR, with 7 simultaneous recording channels and 8 terabytes of storage.

Yeah, I'm a nerd.
jbaysurfer Likes This 
Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
The great thing about the arduino is that you can make it as simple or as complex as you like.

I'm running the above on just two boards, the arduino and an ethernet shield. Everything else is part of my current household setup. I use powerline to transfer movies from my 5 terabyte media server to my home entertainment center, my zoneminder security cam system, as well as my homemade monster DVR, with 7 simultaneous recording channels and 8 terabytes of storage.

Yeah, I'm a nerd.
Hi

My concern was with the "include a laptop" comment in the earlier post. The more boxes you have ....

Bob

Old 06-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Hi

My concern was with the "include a laptop" comment in the earlier post. The more boxes you have ....

Bob
Well, you need some kind of computer to program the Arduino in the first place, so...

There's an entire thread on how to use an old laptop with linux to do the same thing. I happened to have an ancient compaq laptop (Pentium III, 348kb of ram, 20gb drive) that I resurrected, and put in a lightweight linux system that also works with the DS18B20, and runs a webserver, and could use a webcam, so it can be done in one box.

If you don't like "boxes", don't use them. Stick with tried and true bi-metallic thermometers that never fail , or glass thermometers that never break, or stick your finger in it.

I, on the other hand, like to experiment, tinker, and see what works best.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

Ok, since this is gaining a life of it's own.

The original post included a question "can I use an old laptop in place of a wireless shield?" or something very close to that. My comment was in reply to that question. If you believe that replacing a wireless shield with an entire laptop is a good idea, go for it. I'd go for the shield.

Bob

Old 06-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Eighty2Fifty1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Hi

Ok, since this is gaining a life of it's own.

The original post included a question "can I use an old laptop in place of a wireless shield?" or something very close to that. My comment was in reply to that question. If you believe that replacing a wireless shield with an entire laptop is a good idea, go for it. I'd go for the shield.

Bob
That was one of my questions, and I think you havve a good point. Come to think of it, my old laptop wasn't incredibly reliable, and the wireless shield is cheap. Am I on the right track with those relays I posted?

Quick Reply