Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Automating direct fired MLT with BrewTroller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Cuzco_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Automating direct fired MLT with BrewTroller

I am in the process of building a new brewing system, and I want to automate temperature control on the Mash tun. I am planning on using the BrewTroller to do this as later I would like to add further automation later.

It will be a propane system running on high pressure.

I am struggling to get my head around automating the burners. I understand I need a solenoid gas valves to control the flow of gas and that this will be controlled via relay from the BrewTroller. But after this is where I get a bit lost, some systems I have seen have pilots, others have spark ignition systems. And of course there are so many types of gas valve to choose from.

What’s the advantage of one kind of valve over the other? STC vs Asco vs Honeywell etc? I like the look of the Honeywell smart valves, can these handle high pressure?

Ideally I want to be able to light the burners with the flick of a switch on the control panel. So I assume the spark ignition systems are the way to go?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered a hundred times before, I’ve been reading through numerous build threads and keep seeing different valves being mentioned, to the point where I am more confused than when I started.

Any help would be much appreciated
Zac

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
MrShake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm far from an expert on gas stands from brewtroller (I'm all electric)

But, as I understand it, the primary difference between a pilot system and a spark ignition system is safety. What happens if your spark doesn't light the burner? You need a thermocouple to sense heat and turn off the gas if it doesn't light.
A pilot means flame is always present for lighting the burner.
Either is doable for a flicking a switch on the panel to light.

MrShake - Top Hat Brewery

Project Links: Electric HERMS | Wet Bar

Primary - Air
On Commercial Tap - Sam Adam's Octoberfest
On Tap 2 - Air
On Tap 3 - Air
On Tap 4 - Easy English Mild
On Tap 5 - Air

Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
goingmad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hi Zac,

I was right in the middle of your doubts some weeks ago and have found the right way to follow thanks to the excellent work Sawdustguy did in this area.

Take a look here: http://www.brewtroller.com/wiki/doku...burner_control

Just make a list of the items needed and wire everything as suggested and you will obtain right what you are looking for.

I'm making the same in my Herms build with two LP high pressure burners

hope this helps

gm

My toys: HERMS system Fermentation Chamber Control Panel

Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think there was some early issues with spark ignitors and EMF or something with the BrewTroller. This may have been resolved by now; especially with the changes to I2C for the LCD and such. Just an FYI; something to look into.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Cuzco_Brew
Recipes 

Thanks Mr Shake, the pilot sounds the safer of those two options. So next question, what's the difference between the standing pilot light and intermittent pilot light versions?

Goingmad, I've have seen that diagram before, and thought I was home free, but reading down below it mentions that Gas Valve is for either "Natural Gas or Low Pressure Propane". Does that same model valve work with high pressure?

Cheers
Zac

Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
goingmad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

the same valve can have the option for natural or LP gas, just using a cheap adapter from the first to the second one. Some sellers provide the valve with the adapter already installed, as I've found in mine, but I assure you the adapter is really easy to install also by yourself, since I've bought it as well. I think nothing should be changed for high pressure, as it's my case. If not, you'll soon watch an explosion coming from my property!

My toys: HERMS system Fermentation Chamber Control Panel

Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

The furnace valves will only work with low pressure propane or natural gas, spark ignition and dual solenoid valves are the only safe option for high pressure. If you apply more than 1/2 PSI to the furnace valves an internal safety device kicks in and the valve will not open.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
diverpat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Can you install a low pressure propane regulator between the HP reg and the low pressure pilot valve?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

For the Brutus 3 burner setups a Marshall 290 series regulator works well, only 2 burners run at the same time, and 80K is the nominal output of the 10" burners on low pressure propane. More than about 60K fire under a 16" pot, the flames are up the sides of the pot destroying valve handles and thermometers without increasing heating. The mega output jet burners are mostly a waste of propane and time because they have to be so far away from the pot to get enough extra air to burn correctly, and turn down is very limited without the flame sooting everything up on propane.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Cuzco_Brew
Recipes 

So I could use a valve like this one, and a spark ignition system and that would do it? Is that safe? I've seen those valves mentioned in other threads and they do say they work for gas and high pressure.

Kevin, what do you mean by dual solenoid valves?

Thanks
Zac

Quick Reply