Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Automated Systems in Portland Oregon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
jbthuis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Automated Systems in Portland Oregon?

Hi - I would love to see a couple of automated systems "live in person" if possible, before I jump into my own build. I live west of Portland Oregon. Anyone around with a BCS system, or a Brewtroller, or a home-brew PID system they could show me?

Post a note or drop me a pm and I'll get back to you. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

jbthuis -
What do you mean by automated exactly? I built a 10gal (sanke keg) all-electric (2x 5500w) HERMS system with two March pumps. These components are all controlled by BCS460, which controls liquor temps, recirculation, mash temp, boil, etc. I do have to manually mash my grains, change hose configs, open/close ball-valves, etc., but otherwise the "process" is fairly automated. Adding automatic valve control is certainly possible with a BCS (do a search on HBT), but pretty costly and in my opinion takes too much away from "brewing" (one man's opinion). You'll also find that even the big boys don't hardline everything, and instead use a diverter panel with large pump system.

Not sure this helps, but I do live in Colton (SW of PDX).
PLOVE

Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
jbthuis
Recipes 

Hi PLOVE - thanks for the reply. My system will probably be much as yours, electric & semi-automated. I am not looking to have a fully automated brewery, but I want to use the BCS0460 or brewtroller to take care of things like temp control, brew-session logging and maybe measuring the volume and turning the pump on/off at the right time. So your system is just the kind I'd love to take a look at. I live about 1 1/2 hours away from you. I'll drop you a pm to see about finding a time to try to make it over. I appreciate the offer! Thanks.

Quick Reply