Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Any interest in starting new open source automated brewing project...for propane?

View Poll Results: Does this seem like a good idea?
Yes, this sounds awesome! 29 80.56%
No, this sounds idiotic! 4 11.11%
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!!! 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #31
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

The paint mixer attachment will rotate too fast on the end of a drill. You want to attach it to something low geared like a possibly a mirror ball motor.

Fingers crossed the servo has enough torque. I think either measurement device would be fine. Personally I would go with the DS18B20s because they are calibrated closer (+/0.5 oC instead of +/- 1oC) but better still is the LM35CAZ which is +/- 0.2 oC. Texas Instruments will send free samples if you ask nicely.

Usually people run out of pins on an Arduino before they run out of memory. Another factor is polling speed but given that the PID will be tuned for a sluggish response you probably don't need to take measurements more than every 5 seconds or so anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #32
cuz_man
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have been using the one wire thermocouples and they work very well. You don't have to worry about doing conversions and linearisation which will save code. The library takes up a little room, but once the libraries are in, there is quite a lot of memory left for code. You may be able to cut down the library by removing the instruction calls that you do not use.

My recommendation is one wire temperature probes, the ease of implementation and the reduce pin count is gold.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #33
jrubins
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the advice thus far, gang. The maxim integrated Ds18b20 came today, and my winch servo came in earlier this week. I'll try to find some time to play with these things this weekend and let you know my progress.

In bottles: Last Day IPA, AAPL American Pale Ale
On deck: Some sort of porter type thing

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything? 42. The number of bottles in my first batch of homebrew? 42. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #34
mrstevenund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just an fyi, $4 each from adafruit is expensive for the ds18x20 or ds1822 chips. Digikey sells them for about $2.10 each.

I just ordered 10 for $10 from eBay. Then I remembered maxim does samples too.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #35
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You could recirculate with a pump to assist in temp dispersion. I use the BrewTroller but have also built Jimmayhugh's Teensy 3.0 system and have used 1-wire on my Mega2560. The 1-wire library is not memory intensive and the DS18B's are excellent. I use the high temp ones that Adafruit sells...they are pricey (http://www.adafruit.com/products/642) by DS18B standards but they are ready to drop right into your HLT or MLT without doing a thing to them.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #36
alien
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Those high temp ones are a nice option for the MLT. I might experiment with a cheap one, outer cable cover stripped off and replaced with silicone air line.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #37
tob77
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubins View Post
Thanks for the advice thus far, gang. The maxim integrated Ds18b20 came today, and my winch servo came in earlier this week. I'll try to find some time to play with these things this weekend and let you know my progress.
I think that I might jump on board and try this servo idea out as well. I’m debating buying the same servo as you from eBay. Does it look like it’s in good condition? I like your shape lock idea for coupling the servo with the valve. Do you have any ideas on how you are going to mount the servo with the valve? The mount will have to be fairly rigid to avoid any play between the two pieces.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #38
jrubins
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob77 View Post
I think that I might jump on board and try this servo idea out as well. I’m debating buying the same servo as you from eBay. Does it look like it’s in good condition? I like your shape lock idea for coupling the servo with the valve. Do you have any ideas on how you are going to mount the servo with the valve? The mount will have to be fairly rigid to avoid any play between the two pieces.
Awesome, give it a go!
I'm not sure the servo is exactly what it purports to be. Mine seems to be a continuous rotation servo ... or something has broken within it

However, using write micoseconds() does seem to get consistent positioning.
I'm currently working on integrating the sensors, servo, and PID library - each of which is working independently. Once i have that I'll start working on the mounts and such.
I'll probably just use some long bolts and scrap steel to create the rigid mount.

I'll keep you posted.

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything? 42. The number of bottles in my first batch of homebrew? 42. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #39
tob77
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubins View Post
Awesome, give it a go!
I'm not sure the servo is exactly what it purports to be. Mine seems to be a continuous rotation servo ... or something has broken within it

However, using write micoseconds() does seem to get consistent positioning.
I'm currently working on integrating the sensors, servo, and PID library - each of which is working independently. Once i have that I'll start working on the mounts and such.
I'll probably just use some long bolts and scrap steel to create the rigid mount.

I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for the idea! This should be a fun little project. Apparently pulses less than 600 or greater than 2400 provide continuous rotation while pulses between 600 and 2400 produce angular position. Is this what you’re seeing? I’m looking forward to seeing you progress.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #40
jrubins
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob77 View Post
Thanks for the idea! This should be a fun little project. Apparently pulses less than 600 or greater than 2400 provide continuous rotation while pulses between 600 and 2400 produce angular position. Is this what you’re seeing? I’m looking forward to seeing you progress.
yes, i've been using 1000-2000 uS, and that gives me 4 rotations. Once I work out the exact number of rotations I need, it should be good-to-go. That particular servo seems pretty torquey, which is great, since it should allow for full off-on rotation of the regulator.

Quick Reply