The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Android Controlled Electric Brewery Part 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #71
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah that initial post i was just getting started with arduino, Ive since learned a lot and have everything wired

Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #72
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
Yeah that initial post i was just getting started with arduino, Ive since learned a lot and have everything wired
After I posted I thought we might have got into a loop there.

Code:
break;

Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #73
Adeering
Recipes 

So In 10 days I get back from deployment and I just got an email from Stout Tanks saying my tanks are done. So I should be able to start the rest of the build soon

Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #74
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sweet. Good luck with the build and welcome home.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #75
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
So In 10 days I get back from deployment and I just got an email from Stout Tanks saying my tanks are done. So I should be able to start the rest of the build soon
Welcome home!! I received my 20 gallon kettle from Stout yesterday...I think I'm going to like it!!

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #76
Adeering
Recipes 

So I have received my tanks and have almost all the parts required. Ill take some pictures of everything later today. Was gonna try and make my own element housing, but ended up deciding that I would like something that looked as nice as the rest of my setup and just went with the BrewersHardware 2" triclover ones. They are a little pricey for what i wanted to spend, but will go nicely with everything and save me from having to find a welder to use.

Still need to get an electrician out to install the 240v outlet in my garage.

Once I wire the elements cords and the main plug for the control box I should be good to go for a test and hopefully the first brew. Need to do some testing with the Arduino PID settings to make sure it works, but all in all its just about there

The android side of control is on hold for a moment as I need to update BrewAide first with the new interface and bug fixes when I get time.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #77
Adeering
Recipes 

As promised here are some pics:

Brew Kettle:

Mash Tun:

Complete Setup:

Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #78
Adeering
Recipes 

Stout Tanks did a wonderful job with the tanks and brewers hardware has a very nice 3way tri clover ball valve. All in all im very happy and excited to test it out next weekend (hopefully the last few parts make it here in time). Once I test my programming on the arduino Im making my Citrus IPA for my first batch. One that I know how it should taste and have made many times

Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #79
Adeering
Recipes 

So got the 240 outlet installed yesterday (by an electrician, expensive but better safe than sorry) and tested my control box. Had a problem at first and it kept tripping the GFCI breaker. After rewiring everything and trying again got the same result.

So started following the current and flipping the breakers on the inside to determine what is causing the problem. Found out that I had the laptop charger (which im using to convert 120 to both 12-18VDC and 5VDC to power the pumps and arduino) was causing the problem.

Took a little research and fiddling but found out that I had the neutral going into adapter connected to ground instead of neutral and was causing the trip. Fixed and the box worked great (even with the loud noise from the contactors )

Ordered the wrong size element housing from BrewersHardware on accident so had to have him send me two of the right size and returning the other ones, so havent got the elements wired completely yet, but they are coming today.

Need to stop by the hardware store and get some thermal glue to install the temp probe on the brew kettle thermowell and a plug for the rims tube as Im not using a float switch currently.

Later today when I get off work and probably sunday Ill run some test with water to make sure the PID is working right with the arduino and then make my first batch.

Its been about 6 months since I started and looking forward to seeing it in action

As for the Android side of things, Im going on leave for 2 weeks and will have time to finish the interface then. The control box is already setup to talk to the android and viceversa but need to finish the interface and functions on the Android side. Should take me a day or two of solid programming to get it done

(Also will be starting another project as soon as this is up and running, not gonna say much but it will include 4 taps, chilled mixed drinks and automation. So if interested keep eyes open for that)

Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #80
8bitbrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

To add legitimacy (which seems to have already happened) to the Arduino / Android build, I figured I'd chime in.

I have a two-vessel Arduino controlled RIMS setup (although I'm currently tearing it apart as I switch to HERMS...). I then used a WIFI shield on the Arduino, and exposed a REST API for control. The Arduino can be triggered to run setpoint and PID control with the temperature probe in the RIMS tube as the feedback. It can also be triggered to run the pump without heating elements active for transferring between vessels.

I then wrote an Android application using PhoneGap (Cordova) which interacts with REST API of the Arduino. This allows me to have a nice touch interface to set up and control the brews. I use my Nexus 7 tablet on brew day, and I designed the interface to work best at that resolution / screen size.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with, although, it seems like you're well on your way. I was thinking of posting my code to github at some point for anyone else to use / improve.

control_box.jpg   overall_setup.jpg   system_setup.jpg   screenshot_2013-02-16-13-53-26.jpg   screenshot_2013-02-16-13-53-33.jpg  

Quick Reply