New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Android Controlled Electric Brewery Part 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #31
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Im using my android tablet as the primary interface/display. Im going to have it load recipes from either BeerXML or BeerSmith and load the steps that will control the arduino.

I ended up getting both a 16x2 and 20x4 to play with and use, but I think im going to use the 20x4. Now I just need to figure out which buttons to get for buttons underneath the LCD for control, the mini buttons seem really small to be mounted, so would like something a little bigger, but its either those really small ones or the big 35mm ones.

Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #32
Blauhung
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

The bigger questions about displays:

1) Do you need / want graphics? There are a lot of places where a graph can come in handy....
Right now I'm using Processing, which is a Java based graphical programing language, to graph out my data. There's also a good controls library called CP5 for it that abstracts away some of the micromangement of coding in buttons and i/o fields.

Quote:
2) How about a touch screen? Definitely got the wow factor. Can be a bit exciting to program so it's not a hassle to use.
For me, I'm planing on either messing with labview or android for a front end that will make use of a touch screen, but i'm only slowly getting into Java so that's a ways out. Still just wanting to brew something...

Quote:
3) Do you need anything more than an "I'm ok" LED? Web interfaces and phones can do a lot more than any little display will ever do. Can be *very* cheap if all you have is NRF 24L01 acting as a client and something else as a server.

Bob
yup, this works perfectly well too. Just not quite as flashy. Though checking on your brew while out of the house does have a certain sense of bling to it.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #33
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauhung View Post
.....yup, this works perfectly well too. Just not quite as flashy. Though checking on your brew while out of the house does have a certain sense of bling to it.
Hi

If "no screen" works fine (to grossly over simplify) then it's the easy winner. Less parts = better reliability. Fewer holes for mounting things = more rugged. Less code on the local "little guy" = fewer bugs to track down. Lower cost = more money for beer

It's easy to get into the "because I can" mode of design and leave the "is it needed?" behind. Been there / done that a lot of times.

Bob

Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #34
Blauhung
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Hi

If "no screen" works fine (to grossly over simplify) then it's the easy winner. Less parts = better reliability. Fewer holes for mounting things = more rugged. Less code on the local "little guy" = fewer bugs to track down. Lower cost = more money for beer

It's easy to get into the "because I can" mode of design and leave the "is it needed?" behind. Been there / done that a lot of times.

Bob
exactly, I'm planing on starting out just the arduino running a single element at a time and uploading new code each time I need to change a setpoint. GUI and runtime changes in setpoints will come later after I have some batches under my belt.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #35
Adeering
Recipes 

Question about power, Ive been trying to figure out the best way to take the AC power in and have it converted to both 12VDC and 5VDC to power my pumps (12VDC) and the arduino (5VDC). I was thinking/recommended getting an old PC power supply and using that, which would work great but it takes a lot of room up in the control box. So thought a Universal laptop power supply might work. Heres what Im thinking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90W-Universal-AC-adapter-Power-Supply-for-Dell-IBM-laptop-Battery-Charger-USB-/320916773787?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item 4ab8215b9b#ht_20629wt_1396

This would allow me to power both pumps from that through DC-DC SSRs and also use the USB plug to power the arduino. Does this seem correct or am I missing something. Also its a lot smaller so it wont take up as much room in the control box.

Also my pumps can run on anything from 8V to 24V so this cant overpower the pumps

Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #36
Rbeckett
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 29

AD.
I bought this PS on Ebay for 13 bucks. I will ad a 7805 reg a couple of decoupling caps and a diode or two and have 12 and 5 volts quick and easy. Heres the Ebay BIN item. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140719620534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649 Hope this helps get ya going.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #37
Rbeckett
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:

Bob
Can I get a hell yeah!!!! Been there, doing that now. I started out simple and now have a monster growing in my shop. But I am having a blast blinging it out too. Just be carefull because you can go way over bufget if youre not carefull, ask me how I know that....
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #38
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
Question about power, Ive been trying to figure out the best way to take the AC power in and have it converted to both 12VDC and 5VDC to power my pumps (12VDC) and the arduino (5VDC). I was thinking/recommended getting an old PC power supply and using that, which would work great but it takes a lot of room up in the control box. So thought a Universal laptop power supply might work. Heres what Im thinking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90W-Universal-AC-adapter-Power-Supply-for-Dell-IBM-laptop-Battery-Charger-USB-/320916773787?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item 4ab8215b9b#ht_20629wt_1396

This would allow me to power both pumps from that through DC-DC SSRs and also use the USB plug to power the arduino. Does this seem correct or am I missing something. Also its a lot smaller so it wont take up as much room in the control box.

Also my pumps can run on anything from 8V to 24V so this cant overpower the pumps
Hi

For just below $2 delivered you can get little universal switching regulator assemblies from any of a number of people on eBay. There are *many* examples, here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251066005460?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649#ht_4643wt_1388

If you adjust the output to +6V, you can keep the +5 regulator on your board in place. You can of course strip out the onboard regulator. I'd keep it since that's the easier alternative and it will reduce ripple / improve regulation.

The board will run off of just about anything you have listed. I would not try to get high voltage out of it, but for anything in the +3 to +6 range it should do fine.

The advantage of running the switcher is that you get back to powering everything off of one voltage. That of course *assumes* your heavy loads all run off of the bulk supply and just the digital stuff is running on the +5.

Bob

Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #39
Adeering
Recipes 

Thanks for the info, Ill look into those and decide. I saw the one you posted on amazon and it was almost $30 so I turned away from it, but thats a lot cheaper on ebay, Ill have to consider. Though I am liking the idea of the laptop charger because it already controls and regulates the output and has the easy usb interface which plugs very nicely into the Mega ADK which im using.

Got a nice little shipment of some parts to start piecing some stuff together so going to start the build part of the thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #40
Adeering
Recipes 

Ok so heres the first pics of the build:

Temp probes: Before on the left, after on the right, nothing major just attached a plug and covered with a flexible sleeving for appearance

Next some work with the arduino, got the LCD wired and 4 buttons to control the pages, total of 5 pages: Overview, MT Element, BK Element, MT Pump, BK Pump. Dont have the temps wired on this one, but the code is there and have tested the probes they work great. Waiting on switches to come from china to test pump relays and element relays more. Also have the Android interface working and have tested with a single button, but need to do the coding and interface for all of that still.

Initial outlooks looking good and not going to be as difficult as expected

Quick Reply