Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Android Controlled Electric Brewery Part 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

On the whole, looks good. A few things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
Thanks, Ill check the specs for the SSRs Im planning on using and see if they will work.

My general plan is to have the arduino do everything and have the android just be an input source and User interface. Now there will be some android side work based on when to send the signals to the Arduino.

If possible I want the arduino wired to accept input from both the Android device and have manual switches on a control box. This way I can hook up the tablet and have the tablet automate everything based on a recipe to send the right controls to the arduino. Or I can flip switches and set the temps manually on the control box.
I think that's a good approach. The thing is fully controllable by manual controls, but the Android adds the ability to automate and display data.

Quote:
Heres the inputs I see having:
2 - temp probes
2 - basic on/off switches for pump
2 - ARM/DISARM switches for elements (idea will be when using them manually to flip these switches to arm the elements then use the LCD display/buttons to set temp and the PID library will control the output to turn elements on and off)
4 - buttons to control the LCD screen and set temps (Mode, Up, Down, Set)
1 - USB interface (this is already taken care of by the Arduino Mega ADK, this can interface with android devices through USB, which is perfect)

10 - total not counting the USB

Here are the outputs I see having:
2 - SSRs for the pump on/off control - assuming will need 2 pins
2 - SSRs for the element on/off that will be controlled by the PID library - 2 pins
1 - the USB interface can both send and receive so that will talk to the android
1 - LCD display to display whats happening and select temps for elements to hold - needs 11 pins
4 - Lights to show when pumps/elements are on
1 - Buzzer/Alarm for signalling temp has been reached

10 - total not counting the USB
So, if the purpose of the lights is to tell you when the element is on, you don't actually want it controlled by the microcontroller but rather sitting in circuit with the element itself. This is for safety as much as anything else. You want the light to indicate when the element is on, not when the controller thinks the element is on. (Of course, if everything's working right, the element's being on and the controller's thinking it is will be the same thing, but it's safer to assume your code might have bugs or your hardware might fail.)

Quote:
Some things I can see being added to the output side if I decide to go complete automation, because my system will need the output of the pumps changed throughout the brew day I might decide to go with some valves and what not, so would need those, my current estimate based on my design would be 5 valves, which Ill still have plenty of outputs for that and should be fine.

Thanks for the help, gonna order the arduino and start playing with some simple on/off control to get the hang of it and will continue to update with questions/progress
Sounds good! Before you start getting to invested in code, consider drawing up your plumbing and wiring diagrams. Once you have a clear sense of what plugs into where mechanically, it'll be easier to figure out how to automate things.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Why multiple arduinos?
Hi

It's one of many choices if you believe you are "running out of power" on a board. It also can be a rabbit hole that people run down on the basis of "it's something I can do".

Bob

Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #23
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

It's one of many choices if you believe you are "running out of power" on a board. It also can be a rabbit hole that people run down on the basis of "it's something I can do".

Bob
Right, but what makes you think he'll run out of power?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #24
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
On the whole, looks good. A few things:

I think that's a good approach. The thing is fully controllable by manual controls, but the Android adds the ability to automate and display data.

So, if the purpose of the lights is to tell you when the element is on, you don't actually want it controlled by the microcontroller but rather sitting in circuit with the element itself. This is for safety as much as anything else. You want the light to indicate when the element is on, not when the controller thinks the element is on. (Of course, if everything's working right, the element's being on and the controller's thinking it is will be the same thing, but it's safer to assume your code might have bugs or your hardware might fail.)

Sounds good! Before you start getting to invested in code, consider drawing up your plumbing and wiring diagrams. Once you have a clear sense of what plugs into where mechanically, it'll be easier to figure out how to automate things.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Good points, didnt think about the light being able to be controlled like that and that is a good idea. That will save some I/O connections also.

Ive got a basic diagram of the system currently and it doesnt currently include any valves for the pumps, the connections will be quick disconnects so im planning on switching manually at first. But it might change later when I run out of things to DIY and want something to do

Ill keep this forum posted and I have another thread on the overall build as well
Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Right, but what makes you think he'll run out of power?
Hi

At the point in the thread where the comment was made, that was what was being discussed...

Bob

Old 07-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For those of you using arduino for your control, what LCD modules are you using for your display. I got a basic 16x2 but not sure I like it, or how it will look when mounted so looking for suggestions. Doesnt need to be anything crazy as its going to be just minor display. Also if it has buttons included on it for input that would be a plus

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #27
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
For those of you using arduino for your control, what LCD modules are you using for your display. I got a basic 16x2 but not sure I like it, or how it will look when mounted so looking for suggestions. Doesnt need to be anything crazy as its going to be just minor display. Also if it has buttons included on it for input that would be a plus
If you're looking for an alternative to the standard 16x2 LCDs, there are lots of good options. There are a handful presented on all the maker sites, such as this one: http://adafruit.com/category/63

Once you have a sense of what you're looking for, you can find one that fits your precise specifications on something like digikey or mouser.

I've never seen a lcd that combines buttons, as there's not much to be gained by combining the electronics. Instead, you might be looking for a nice enclosure with cut slots for your lcd and controls? Once you have a sense of what you want for that, there are plenty of good options.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #28
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Hi

Displays are a staple item on eBay....

Bob

Old 07-16-2012, 04:03 AM   #29
Blauhung
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Atempting to do something very similar myself. I have kettles all ready but waiting to gather some more funds and time to do electrical work. I'm developing diagrams for everything right now too so I will gladly share anything as I get it all going.

As for displays, I went with a 20x4 disply which is using the same basic interface protocal as the 16x2 ones you are talking about.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #30
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

The bigger questions about displays:

1) Do you need / want graphics? There are a lot of places where a graph can come in handy....

2) How about a touch screen? Definitely got the wow factor. Can be a bit exciting to program so it's not a hassle to use.

3) Do you need anything more than an "I'm ok" LED? Web interfaces and phones can do a lot more than any little display will ever do. Can be *very* cheap if all you have is NRF 24L01 acting as a client and something else as a server.

Bob

Bob

Quick Reply