Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Actuated Sanitary Valves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Pezzonovante11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Actuated Sanitary Valves

Looking for your thoughts and experience.

I'm wanting to use a BCS controller with sanitary butterfly valves for a CIP brewery. There are plenty of electrically actuated ball valves out there but not much in the way of butterfly.

Has anyone retrofitted sanitary butterfly valves with electric actuators? I know with ball valves there is the ISO 5211 mounting standard. Does a similar standard exist for butterflies. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

My other thought was to use pneumatically actuated valves, as they are more readily available (but pricey). But I don't know the first thing about using those. Wondering what kind air source people use. Bottle of compressed air? How much do they need? What is used to switch the air on/off?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I priced out some sanitary ball valve fittings from a manufacturer in China and got a price of $111 per valve FOB. That was too pricey for me as I need 13 valves. I ended up going with ball valves from Oscsys.com and will add triclamp fittings to them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply