Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > 24V to 5V step down

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewn4life
Thanks Jeepin, I got many wall warts and some lap top chargers as well. I take it you own a Jeep. I owned a 88 Wrangler and did a lot of wheelin. They're a lot of fun. I miss mine a lot.
Either will do fine. I'm talking about a desktop PSU though. Complete overkill for switching SSRs, but a worthwhile project if you need power later. Mine is a little 160W but that translates to 8.5A on the 5vdc and 12vdc lines. I am a Jeeper. I'm down to one, a 2004 WJ, but have had a few Cherokees and a Wrangler.
image-2541378893.jpg  

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
Brewn4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool, Ill probably just use a wall wart call it done for the time being. We got a couple comp. at the house that are no good and will check out the power in them.

Junction26 Brewery

Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
crane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your computer PSU isn't super old then it will be an ATX PSU. These will have either a 20 or 24 pin main power connector. By default only the 5v standby rail will be on. This is the purple wire I believe. If you connect a jumper wire from the green power enable wire to one of the black ground wires that will turn on the rest of the power rails. Yellow - 12v, red - 5v, orange - 3.3v. Some PSUs require a minimum load on some or all of the power rails for stable operation. We use 50 ohm resistors of the appropriate wattage to accomplish this at my work because we only pull off of the 12v rail.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #24
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane
If your computer PSU isn't super old then it will be an ATX PSU. These will have either a 20 or 24 pin main power connector. By default only the 5v standby rail will be on. This is the purple wire I believe. If you connect a jumper wire from the green power enable wire to one of the black ground wires that will turn on the rest of the power rails. Yellow - 12v, red - 5v, orange - 3.3v. Some PSUs require a minimum load on some or all of the power rails for stable operation. We use 50 ohm resistors of the appropriate wattage to accomplish this at my work because we only pull off of the 12v rail.
I am fairly ignorant when it gets specific. Mine is an older unit with the 3/4 pin terminals. I am only using red, yellow, and black for 5 & 12 vdc. I did have to add a resistor and added in a switch and led for good measure. If I short it out and trip it I just have to flip a switch instead of unplugging it.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Quick Reply