pub recommendations in London and Coventry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosa

Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting the UK for a short trip in a couple of weeks. I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone can recommend any must-visit pubs in London or Coventry. So, uh, where should I go?

You have to bear in mind that most pubs in central London serve terrible beer. Nevertheless, here are a few centralish suggestions:

The Lamb, 92 Lambs Conduit Street
Princess Louise, 208 High Holborn
Cittie of Yorke, 22 High Holborn
Old Bank of England, 194 Fleet Street
The Lamb and Flag, 33 Rose Street (Covent Garden area)

A couple a bit further out:

Duke of Cambridge, 30 St Peter's Street (this one's in Islington - a short bus or tube ride from the centre - good beer from the Pitfield and Freedom breweries - food expensive and a bit variable)

The Dove, 24-28 Broadway Market (this one's in Hackney, but usually has an excellent selection of Belgian beer, both draught and bottled)

My personal favourite though is The Anchor and Hope, 15 High Hill Ferry, Clapton (E5):

Image:Upper clapton anchor and hope.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

It's easily the best place to sample Fuller's London Pride and ESB, but way, way, way of the beaten track!

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately I didn't get to re-check this thread before I headed over. It was a very short trip though and I only got to spend about an hour and a half in London, so I'm ready to head back. Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't remember the name of the place, but we found a chain-pub that had a burger, fires and a pint for about 4 pounds. Considering I paid over 3 pounds for a guinness, it was great deal. They serve 3-4 cask ales, which were great. I definitely recommend trying one. Also, you can get Guinness Red there, as well as Guinness Extra Cold. Try'em both and let me know you think.

The whole pub/club scene was interesting. The pubs closed early, but the clubs, which could look exactly like a pub, were open later. I swear, if there was a DJ in the corner, it was considered a club. I called them dance-pubs.

Sports Cafe - I'm told it is the only pub in London that you can watch american football games (if you're interested). It was a decent place, with good food. They had a MotoGP (I think...) motorcycle in there entry way.

I went to a place in Covent Garden called the Crosskeys, I got to the bottom of my pint to find a shard of glass in it! However, they did make up for it by giving me a free pint, so not too bad I suppose! Also, I didn't die.

Latest posts

Back