Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand pubs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Styles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default New Zealand pubs

Ok, well searching NZ Pub didn't yield any results, so anyone here from NZ and got any recommendations?
Personally, I'm from Auckland, and my favourites (in no particular order) would be Galbraiths, Leigh Sawmill, and the Belgian Beer Cafe's (Occidental especially) and yes, Cock and Bull too, just because they're so many of them, they are good social pub and I love their Beef Yorkshire! And last, (most importantly) they have Epic!
I've heard good things about Hallertau, but haven't been there yet..... anyone else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I guess anything NZ is out of everyone's scope here. (Mine too)

I'll just say that I never met a kiwi I didn't like, and hope that suffices.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Splangy
Recipes 

I know this is a bit dated, but we really enjoyed the Twisted Hop when we were on our honeymoon last summer.
http://www.thetwistedhop.co.nz/
She had a very tasty pizza, and my pork belly was amazing!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I used to like cock and bull until they stopped serving full pints Galbraiths is a great pub, I was in there Easter weekend for the first time in ages, their ESB, porter and trappist ale are all very good. Speakers Corner up in browns bay is my favourite, because I'm English and its a great English pub with plenty of English beers to choose from, Patriot in Devonport has the best Boddingtons Ive ever tasted too. I've been wanting to try Hallertau soon as well so will hopefully give that a go in the next month or two.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
Styles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi Splangy, yes, the Twisted Hop is great, no trip to Chch is complete without it!

Cheers Pommy, I'll check out Speakers Corner & Patriot sometime.

Have you been to Hallertau yet? I was there a while ago, it's pretty good. I only had their Stuntman, which is pretty extreme. I have had their Porter Noir too, which is an amazing beer. I need to got another bottle to cellar!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
Pommy
Recipes 

No, unfortunately I still havent managed to get out there. Reading on ratebeer or BA they didnt get very good reviews for their beers but you cant really take too much from the reviews on those sites. We ended up just going in Cock and Bull at Botany for a quick one. Its the first time Ive had their beers since I started brewing and I was quite pleasantly surprised. I had the Fuggles Bitter and the SWMBO had the Dark Star Porter or whatever its called, served too cold but it was a decent pint once it warmed up a bit again. Off to Speakers Corner all been well for mothers day this weekend but eventually Im sure I will make it to Hallertau.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
sheblom
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

There is a new brew pub in browns bay, I am yet to try it. But from the hoppy aroma that was floating around there it seems like it could be cracker!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
Styles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Holy return of the zombie thread batman!

Yes, I've heard about Deep Creek, I haven't gotten up that way yet though. I'm trying to organise a bit of a thing with some of the boys from the office to do a Saturday pub crawl sometime. A place I did check out a couple of months ago is The Brewery Britomart, it's where the Rose and Crown used to be. http://www.thebrewerybritomart.co.nz/ I really liked it, had a yarn with the owner/brewer. They brew onsite and have some very interesting seasonals, along with their core range which was VERY good.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Pommy
Recipes 

Back from the dead!

Deep Creek is OK from what Ive tried so far, their Dusty Gringo brown is certainly interesting, it's the consistency of soup. They love what they are doing though and the menu looks fantastic too. I will definitely get back out there to give it a try again sometime soon. Brewery Britomart is awesome. Always new interesting beers on tap. Their Monk's Hip Hop (Belgian IPA) took the people's choice award at the inaugural City of Ales festival a few weeks ago. Awesome beer! Their NZPA is my favourite and their IPA is pretty special too. This is making me thirsty.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
Pommy
Recipes 

Cock and Bull ws just bought up by Lion Nathan too if you guys hadn't heard and there's rumours that they will no longer be selling their own line of beers. I hope Monks Habit isn't lost to the ages.

Quick Reply