Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #71
k-trips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ah well. Any advice on what bottles are best to use and what not to use? Last thing I want is the groom clinking a bottle and it explodes in his hand and severs fingers before he consummates the marriage. Haha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #72
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I've found Steinlager are thicker than most...
500ml bottles out of the question?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #73
k-trips
Recipes 

Would prefer 330 but 500 if necessary. But I drink steinys for my normal booze so that would be an easy solution.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #74
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-trips View Post
Would prefer 330 but 500 if necessary. But I drink steinys for my normal booze so that would be an easy solution.
Marriage made in heaven

Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #75
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

+1 for Re-used bottles, makes for a good afternooon i think . Get some mates for a session.

I use The little macs bottles, they can becapped despite the strange capping system they use. I've always been told as well that brown bottles are better than green, for light etc.
I also got some 500mls from harringtons as well they sell brand new round about 50c a bottle.

On a side note, bottled my All Extract Pale ale today. went smoothly.
And i decided to bottle my cider too leave it bottles for a few months before cracking one open.

Barrel Aging: Red Barron Oak Barrel Amber Ale
In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA
On Tap: Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #76
sheblom
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612
+1 for Re-used bottles, makes for a good afternooon i think . Get some mates for a session.

I use The little macs bottles, they can becapped despite the strange capping system they use. I've always been told as well that brown bottles are better than green, for light etc.
I also got some 500mls from harringtons as well they sell brand new round about 50c a bottle.

On a side note, bottled my All Extract Pale ale today. went smoothly.
And i decided to bottle my cider too leave it bottles for a few months before cracking one open.
Nice man! Imam waiting form my Czech pilsner to be ready for bottling, been almost 3 weeks and it's still reading 1.020. Plus I added some finings on Wednesday past and the beer is still murky as..

Where do you guys get your brewing equipment/ingredients? I have been getting mine from ebrewcraft up in mt Eden, but going to have a look at a place up in Albany this weekend coming.

Trying to figure out what I want to do brew next! Also planing on making a brew cupboard soon to try keep my brew warm. My place is way to cold! What brews you guys on making next?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #77
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheblom View Post
Nice man! Imam waiting form my Czech pilsner to be ready for bottling, been almost 3 weeks and it's still reading 1.020. Plus I added some finings on Wednesday past and the beer is still murky as..

Where do you guys get your brewing equipment/ingredients? I have been getting mine from ebrewcraft up in mt Eden, but going to have a look at a place up in Albany this weekend coming.

Trying to figure out what I want to do brew next! Also planing on making a brew cupboard soon to try keep my brew warm. My place is way to cold! What brews you guys on making next?
I don't have the equipment for lagering. Normally i go to LHBS in chch, but theres a good place online www.brewshop.co.nz, they have a huge selection.
You All Grain or Extract? I decided last minute i would put a Wheat beer in for 10-14 days all extract yesterday afternoon. have a squizz on here, theres alot of recipes for if your struggling.
In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
NZLunchie Likes This 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #78
sheblom
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612

I don't have the equipment for lagering. Normally i go to LHBS in chch, but theres a good place online www.brewshop.co.nz, they have a huge selection.
You All Grain or Extract? I decided last minute i would put a Wheat beer in for 10-14 days all extract yesterday afternoon. have a squizz on here, theres alot of recipes for if your struggling.
You need special equipment for lagering? I just keep it in my house, it's about 16c All the time, I have to wait for summer to do any other brew.
I am only on my second brew right now, but right now it's just extract. I would like to get into all grain, just need to save up to get the equipment. I have a pilsner going at the moment, by mangrove jacks. Been fermenting for about 3 weeks now, but still has quite a hight gravity reading of 1.020. Was going to try bottle it, but the findings did not seem to work as my brew is still quite murky. So I am going to leave it for another week or so and see how it goes.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #79
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheblom

You need special equipment for lagering? I just keep it in my house, it's about 16c
That's too warm for even FERMENTING lagers, where the typical range is 7-13°C. And that's beer temp, which can be over 5° above room temp, meaning you're fermenting at around 21°, which is on the high end for most *ales*.

And that's just fermentation. The actual LAGERING process is done around freezing temps. So yes, you need "special equipment".

Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #80
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
That's too warm for even FERMENTING lagers, where the typical range is 7-13°C. And that's beer temp, which can be over 5° above room temp, meaning you're fermenting at around 21°, which is on the high end for most *ales*.

And that's just fermentation. The actual LAGERING process is done around freezing temps. So yes, you need "special equipment".
I Thought that was the case emjay, based on what I have read on HBT.

SheBlom, given its a mangrove jacks, did the yeast packet have any information on i, my first batch was a "munich lager", which turned out when i did some research had ale yeast in it.

I've moved away from those canned kits, all extract is not much more expensive, and based on my first "proper" wort, its gonna taste awesome! after my wheat I'm probably gonna do one more all extract, to get some beer in the fridge, then move onto extract with specialty grains . Don't have AG equipment either...

Quick Reply