Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #591
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirevo
I got m27 today for a baby version of citra Saison, pretty much everyone is saying it's a quite spicy Saison yeast rather than a belgian duppel/tripel yeast
Yeah I've heard the same.

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #592
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Same here, that M27 yeast is supposedly pretty mean supposedly. Will give it a shot in the NY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirevo View Post
I got m27 today for a baby version of citra Saison, pretty much everyone is saying it's a quite spicy Saison yeast rather than a belgian duppel/tripel yeast
I used 3789 Trappist blend from Wyeast. There was a heap of spice when it was fresh. The longer its sat the more that has mellowed.

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #593
Pkrd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Just boiling up a 3%ish lawn mower beer tonight with what I had around. Should be a late night.
Hoping to get an Epic down this week too.

Fermenting: JAOM; Little IPA

Bottled:
Black AZ American Stout; Nelson Sauvin Red Ale; Honey Wheat; Blackberry Blonde; Chainbreaker White IPA; Sassy Red; Yoopers Fizzy Yellow beer; Black IPA; JAOM; BaA Schwarzbier.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #594
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkrd
Just boiling up a 3%ish lawn mower beer tonight with what I had around. Should be a late night. Hoping to get an Epic down this week too.
Nice work. Gotta love those easy drinkers.
Got another IPA on the cards. Simcoe all the way. With a mosaic addition at10. Running 5.5%

Then I'll be making a beer with a 50/50 mix of Nalson Sauvin and Sorachi Ace. This will be a really bold beer I think.

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 11-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #595
Microphobik
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just wanted to jump into this thread. Nice to connect with other NZ brewers. I moved to the far north about 4 years ago from Los Angeles, and recently got back into home brewing after about a ten year hiatus. I brew all grain, mostly malt balanced beers, with a strong preference on dark beers. Any other far north brewers? Would love to connect with others in the area who appreciate something other than Tui. Very remote where we are and not many people to share the love of craft beer with around here :-)

Also, if anyone knows of a list of NZ homebrew competitions I'd love to find it. I only know of the Soba one, and unfortunately I found out about it too late this year.

Cheers.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #596
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microphobik
Just wanted to jump into this thread. Nice to connect with other NZ brewers. I moved to the far north about 4 years ago from Los Angeles, and recently got back into home brewing after about a ten year hiatus. I brew all grain, mostly malt balanced beers, with a strong preference on dark beers. Any other far north brewers? Would love to connect with others in the area who appreciate something other than Tui. Very remote where we are and not many people to share the love of craft beer with around here :-) Also, if anyone knows of a list of NZ homebrew competitions I'd love to find it. I only know of the Soba one, and unfortunately I found out about it too late this year. Cheers.
Welcome mate. There's the SOBA one of course. And the WEST COAST IPA challenge. Then there's normally a bunch of different ones throughout the country at different times. Here in Chch we run a comp quarterly this one is best of British. People's choice and judges choice. People choice gets to pick next style etc. No prizes just glory. All welcome to send bottles down.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #597
Microphobik
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Welcome mate. There's the SOBA one of course. And the WEST COAST IPA challenge. Then there's normally a bunch of different ones throughout the country at different times. Here in Chch we run a comp quarterly this one is best of British. People's choice and judges choice. People choice gets to pick next style etc. No prizes just glory. All welcome to send bottles down.
Thanks! If you have links to any other than SOBA I'd love to get the info. Cheers.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #598
rehabthebrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microphobik View Post
Thanks! If you have links to any other than SOBA I'd love to get the info. Cheers.
If you look on realbeer there should be info on comps in each area. The WBC might be your best bet. They are in Auckland and have pretty regular comps. I think they have a Macs Sassy Red clone comp in Jan but they also have around 4 main comps a year that are style based with 3rd picking next style. Have a look on realbeer.co.nz and you should find what you need.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #599
kiwirevo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just mashed in a rye pale ale called 'The Ryed Time'. Got a double brew day today so had to start early. I'll be doing a baby Citra saison later, although I had to sub in some NZ cascade as brewers coop were only had 60g of Citra left.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #600
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirevo View Post
Just mashed in a rye pale ale called 'The Ryed Time'. Got a double brew day today so had to start early. I'll be doing a baby Citra saison later, although I had to sub in some NZ cascade as brewers coop were only had 60g of Citra left.
Shoulda said, I have a little bit of Citra.

Quick Reply