Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #51
brewnz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine NZLunchie, and I actually had to look up what a smash recipe was so it's little wonder it's that colour. I might have to try that experiment myself. Speaking of which, I brewed my own experimental recipe yesterday with NO hop boil additions, nada, ziltch. Only FWH and a dry hop so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. It certainly makes brewing easier as you're not looking at the timer constantly.

Not going to Beervana unfortunately, would love to but I'll be in Japan - hopefully there's some good beer over there, not hold out much hope though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #52
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Probably sound like a Noob, but whats Beervana? and more to the point where is it??

Ok, so I am finishing up my cider and no longer have the need to the 23L glass carboy, along with siphon thief and bung/airlock, any takers $100.00 for the lot plus postage..... any takers?

Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale Primary2: 100% Brett B Trois Saison Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale Barrel Aging: Oud Bruin In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA /NZPale Ale /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Red Barron Oak Ale In Kegs: (1)Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter (2) Red Barron Oak Ale (3) Nothing
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #53
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Probably sound like a Noob, but whats Beervana? and more to the point where is it??
http://beervana.co.nz/

I was going to throw the Epic clone at the home brew comp. After some discussions looks like me and my brew partner are going to target next year. Have a years worth of R & D

Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #54
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612
It's at the corner of beer-lightenment and li-beer-ation, in the state of beer transcendence.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #55
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac

The flat I'm living in doesn't have access to the building's hot water cupboard unfortunately and the space heater we have barely keeps the room temperature at 16*C overnight while on full-blast. I found a much smaller space heater at work today that the boss said I could have so I'm going to insulate one of the built-in cabinets in my room. If the thermometer on the tiny space heater is sensitive enough to keep the space within a few degree of it's setting then I'll be in business.
16°C is a great temperature to ferment most beers at, especially because the temperature can rise by over 5° during fermentation.

If you don't want to invest in a heating solution that's able to directly control the temperature of the beer itself (eg a temp controller with the probe measuring the actual beer temp rather than ambient temp), then fermenting in a room at 16 to 17° is the next best thing. I'd still recommend something that allows better control of beer temps, but in terms of the room temperature I'd say that's actually perfect for most beers (most Belgians obviously excepted).

Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #56
crusader1612
Recipes 

I assume no takers for my glass carboy and accessories, its only been used once, and its clean too

Agreed with emjay. although the fermantation may take a tad longer?

beervana looks awesome!!! might have to check it out next year, maybe even enter ?

Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale Primary2: 100% Brett B Trois Saison Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale Barrel Aging: Oud Bruin In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA /NZPale Ale /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Red Barron Oak Ale In Kegs: (1)Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter (2) Red Barron Oak Ale (3) Nothing
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #57
nufad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post
Ummm, most of the Muntons LME range, a couple of Black Rock and Mangrove Jacks LME cans. I mixed it up as well by using dextrose and a second can of unhoped LME.

Made a stout with a Black Rock Miners Stout, a can of dark LME and a couple straps of Black Knight licorice. That came out really nice.

Attempted a kiwifruit beer - came out ok, but not what we thought it would come out like. Basically a wheat beer can kit with kiwifruit boiled in it. If I was to do it again, I'd freeze the fruit and rack on top for a month or so.

My first partial was a Fat Yak clone, but I used just Motueka hops, came up really good. Love Motueka hops!! I wouldn't mind doing that again with some other new hops i.e. Riwaka, Zythos, Kohatu or Rakau. It's a good base beer to throw hops at to get a pretty cheap and decent tasting beer.

My first All Grain was an Epic Pale Ale clone. Brewed especially for my 30th in May. That came out fantastic. I used NZ Cascade instead of American Cascade there, felt more Kiwi. By far my best brew. Came in at 6.9% so had some people on there ass pretty quick!

Brewed an Irish Red for my 30th as well loosely based on a recipe from here, not quite what I was looking for but very moreish. I think I'll brew it again but drop the roast malt a little, came in a little too strong for me.

I like to experiment with my brews and as such haven't brewed a beer twice yet - I think the Epic Clone I'll brew again. Has to be my favourite craft brew by far.
I recently purchased a few ounces of NZ Cascade hops. Could you provide any tasting notes for them? From what I've gathered online, they are less piney than US Cascade and have a more lemony/spicy character. I plan to brew with them this weekend, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #58
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufad View Post
I recently purchased a few ounces of NZ Cascade hops. Could you provide any tasting notes for them? From what I've gathered online, they are less piney than US Cascade and have a more lemony/spicy character. I plan to brew with them this weekend, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I'd say what you've read would be on the money. I definitely noted more citrus and passion fruit when I compared the Epic vs my clone.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #59
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post
I'd say what you've read would be on the money. I definitely noted more citrus and passion fruit when I compared the Epic vs my clone.
Agreed, for the epic anyway . great beer. any idea where I can find the hopzombie? never had it?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #60
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Agreed, for the epic anyway . great beer. any idea where I can find the hopzombie? never had it?
Since its seasonal, probably nowhere :-P
If you're on Facebook follow Epic Beer and wait for the announcement. I think Zythos was this years Hop Zombie due to the US hop shortage...

That was the first beer I had at Beervana last year and spent the rest of the time trying to hunt the same experience. I failed. Spent my last tokens on it. Beautiful beer!

Quick Reply