New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #331
sockmerchant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Well I needn't worry about this beer anymore, picked up a starter from a fellow brewer of WLP090, came home to rack over, and found a nice white film on top of the smoked porter. Result: INFECTION.
I think base on what I've read is because it didnt ferment properly, the yeast either died or went to sleep, and subsequently when pitchign new yeast, whats happend is the unclean cloth has bugs in it, and they took hold no yeasties or enough alcohol to keep thge white stuff at bay..... I'm pissed off, but nevermind live and learn.
Aw bummer. Saw the pic on realbeer. It happens to the best of us. Had a couple over the past few years.

My garage is a freakin bug zoo right now too. I dont think it would take much to get an infection.

When i leave a hydro sample out, its got krausen the next day. Nuts!

I have the two flanders browns and a flanders red, and a brett saison at the mo. Will be doing a gose soon with sour mash. I will then do an attempt at a quick flanders brown by doing a sour mash and then fermenting with brett lambicus (already have the wyeast pack in my fridge). I may or may not then add it to black berries. Maybe half...

I also have a vial of brett claussenii and brett trois that i want to try out in some IPA's... I think... or something else. Still figuring that out.

Oh and I want to have a go at doing a lambic too....

So...kinda obsessed with wild yeast/bugs right now.

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #332
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant View Post
Aw bummer. Saw the pic on realbeer. It happens to the best of us. Had a couple over the past few years.

My garage is a freakin bug zoo right now too. I dont think it would take much to get an infection.

When i leave a hydro sample out, its got krausen the next day. Nuts!

I have the two flanders browns and a flanders red, and a brett saison at the mo. Will be doing a gose soon with sour mash. I will then do an attempt at a quick flanders brown by doing a sour mash and then fermenting with brett lambicus (already have the wyeast pack in my fridge). I may or may not then add it to black berries. Maybe half...

I also have a vial of brett claussenii and brett trois that i want to try out in some IPA's... I think... or something else. Still figuring that out.

Oh and I want to have a go at doing a lambic too....

So...kinda obsessed with wild yeast/bugs right now.
Haha, Obsession might be a kind way of putting it lol. just messing. sounds like you really on a sour buzz right now, had the 8wired one at the tasting, I'm still not ure about the whole sour thing.
There a local como here in christchurch, and I was real hopeful.

Primary1: Aoraki Warrior NZ XPA
Primary2:
Secondary: Guts & Glory Belgian Amber, W/ Brett650

Bottle Conditioning: 8Wired iStout Clone /Belgian Stout x2 (Ardennes&Mangrove M27)

On Tap: (Drilling holes and connecting up to go...)

Drinking: Bad Wolf Belgian IPA / Dark Storm Black IPA

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #333
sockmerchant
Recipes 

I have a bottle of the 8 wired grand cru in the fridge right now. I am hopeful that its a good one

Had some of Mike's Stawberry sour last night. Decent. Also quite like Hallertaur's funkonnay.

Glad nz brewers are getting on board.

Also have some rodenbach grand cru (so freaking good!), Duchesse (yum!), and a Liefmans Cuvee Brut (I want it in my mouth now!)

I have yet to have an NZ one that compares to the ones above.

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #334
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hi all, some of you may remember my first attempt at brewing; an AG Epic Pale Ale Clone that didn't go that well. After leaving it in the bottle for five months it was as flat as a lizard, sweet to taste and a distant mutant cousin of an Epic PA in flavour. Undeterred, and indeed buoyed by all the positive feedback from this forum I did another batch, this time taking the precaution of following the recipe!
After sending the first batch into the garden it was with trepidation that I popped open a nicely chilled bottle from Batch 2. I was immediately rewarded with a satisfying pfsst (you try spelling that noise). So far, so good ... the gentle pour gave a nice head and beautiful colour, and the first sip was a delight. I am so stoked that I have managed to brew a beer that is remarkably close to the target. Actually, I'm just pleased to brew a beer that tastes so bl**dy good. As soon as the rain comes, and we get some decent water in the tank I'll be having another crack.
Thanks heaps to those of you who saw my early posts, answered my questions without laughing, and encouraged me to keep going. Cheers.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #335
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
Hi all, some of you may remember my first attempt at brewing; an AG Epic Pale Ale Clone that didn't go that well. After leaving it in the bottle for five months it was as flat as a lizard, sweet to taste and a distant mutant cousin of an Epic PA in flavour. Undeterred, and indeed buoyed by all the positive feedback from this forum I did another batch, this time taking the precaution of following the recipe!
After sending the first batch into the garden it was with trepidation that I popped open a nicely chilled bottle from Batch 2. I was immediately rewarded with a satisfying pfsst (you try spelling that noise). So far, so good ... the gentle pour gave a nice head and beautiful colour, and the first sip was a delight. I am so stoked that I have managed to brew a beer that is remarkably close to the target. Actually, I'm just pleased to brew a beer that tastes so bl**dy good. As soon as the rain comes, and we get some decent water in the tank I'll be having another crack.
Thanks heaps to those of you who saw my early posts, answered my questions without laughing, and encouraged me to keep going. Cheers.
If I remember rightly, it was an epic clone right? Looks pretty good, how does it taste? to learn more and different beers, I'd recommend trying a different clone recipoe, and do a side by side once its done...\

Well done though.

Primary2:

Bottle Conditioning: 8Wired iStout Clone /Belgian Stout x2 (Ardennes&Mangrove M27)

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #336
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
Good work dude. Never give up aye!
Looks pretty good!

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #337
crusader1612
Recipes 

For this weekend, I've got a NZ IPA on the cards, finally getting round to this.
I'm splitting 4litres off the wort and giving cold steeping a good go. Its gone in this morning, and will sit for about 24hours, to see if i can get a Black IPA colour, with minimal to no flavour contribution. using 50g of carafa II in 4 litres, it will be sparged with a little bit of 80 degree water to remove the additional sugars. and a side by side comparison done. Interesting experiement.

Primary2:

Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #338
sockmerchant
Recipes 

This weekend I will be brewing a gose.

It sounds like a style that when stuffed up will be truly horrible.

We shall see

Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #339
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant
This weekend I will be brewing a gose.

It sounds like a style that when stuffed up will be truly horrible.

We shall see
I don't know what that is but it sounds delicious

Primary2:

Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #340
sockmerchant
Recipes 

I've never had a gose...seeing as i dont think any exist in NZ

Quote:
Gose is a top-fermented beer style of Leipzig, Germany, brewed with at least 50% of the grain bill being malted wheat.

Dominant flavours in Gose include a lemon tartness, a herbal characteristic, and a strong saltiness (the result of either local water sources or added salt). Gose beers typically do not have prominent hop bitterness, flavours, or aroma. The beers typically have a moderate alcohol content of 4 to 5% ABV.

Because of the use of coriander and salt, Gose does not comply with the Reinheitsgebot. It is allowed an exemption on the grounds of being a regional specialty. It acquires its characteristic sourness through inoculation with lactic acid bacteria after the boil.[1]

Gose belongs to the same family of sour wheat beers which were once brewed across Northern Germany and the Low Countries.

Quick Reply