Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #21
NZLunchie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnz View Post
Epic Pale Ale Clone here too guys. Me and a guy at work have been trying to make this since late April and I thought it was funny NZLunchie how you were making it around the same time too! but with far greater success from the details on your website (which is rocking btw).

I've made this 3 times so far with the 1st (20L batch) and 3rd (34L batch) tries being well off the OG mark. I let that ride with the 20L batch and that was still very drinkable but with the 34L batch I had to add table sugar to the boil to make up for lost efficiency.

My 2nd attempt (Anzac day), came out at 1.048 OG so I was pretty stoked with that and it tasted wonderful! my 3rd attempt will be bottled tonight so it'll be interesting to taste what the sugar imparts on the beer - I'm sure it'll be drinkable.

Another clone I've made is the Stone Ruination, which again I didn't hit my OG by a long shot and had to add table sugar to that too - that tasted fine but just not as good as the good old EPA.

So yeah still very much 'playing' around with the gear I have and trying improve on my crap efficiency but am still loving the process.

When I feel I've got a handle on things I'll look into making a recipe of my own...but no rush.

Cheers!
I've done it the once with the 20L version. Magic. Will definitely brew again!

Have you got a recipe for the Stone Ruination? I'd been keen to have a go.

Onto my brew day....Only managed to get a couple of snaps. First one is 24L of water and 8kgs of grains. Pretty full pot!! Second shot is 23L rolling boil.

Thats pretty much my gear, the 31L pot I use for everything, the little 15L for sparge water, 1 grain bag, 1 hop bag and a gas stove top. Oh and 4 yellow pegs

I got a 2 ring burner yesterday as well to use in boil but ran out of time to get the gas bottle filled up. Thats the next plan, try a brew with a 2 ring burner, if that fails, 3 ring, then I'll get a 50L keg to use as a kettle = MOAR BEER
img_20120610_142517.jpg   img_20120610_155750.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #22
cwhouston
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hi - Lower Hutt here, I'm into my second year AG and have been going on an English ale bent recently, with mixed results. Also just got my temp control sorted and kicked off lagering which is a whole other hobby's worth of expertise it seems.

Nice to see what you're all up to.

NickG

Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #23
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post

Onto my brew day....Only managed to get a couple of snaps. First one is 24L of water and 8kgs of grains. Pretty full pot!! Second shot is 23L rolling boil.

Thats pretty much my gear, the 31L pot I use for everything, the little 15L for sparge water, 1 grain bag, 1 hop bag and a gas stove top. Oh and 4 yellow pegs

I got a 2 ring burner yesterday as well to use in boil but ran out of time to get the gas bottle filled up. Thats the next plan, try a brew with a 2 ring burner, if that fails, 3 ring, then I'll get a 50L keg to use as a kettle = MOAR BEER
nICE! i LIKE IT, i'D LOVE TO GET INTO THIS SORTA STUFF, BUT I NEED TO LEARN SOME MORE ABOUT EVERYTHING FIRST. LOL
Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale Primary2: 100% Brett B Trois Saison Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale Barrel Aging: Oud Bruin In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA /NZPale Ale /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Red Barron Oak Ale In Kegs: (1)Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter (2) Red Barron Oak Ale (3) Nothing
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #24
brewnz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

Yeah it is magic - I think I'm just going to keep brewing it till I have it nailed and then refine it from there.

Here's the Stone clone that I tried and even though I missed the OG by a mile it still tasted bloody good: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/stone-ruination-clone-155771/

Thanks for the pics of your brewday looks like things are pretty full up! I've already upgraded my pot from a 35L to a 70L jobbie and by the looks of your pot it looks like it's from the same guy on Trademe!

Quote:
got a 2 ring burner yesterday as well to use in boil but ran out of time to get the gas bottle filled up
I did 2 brews with gas on my deck, but had a guts full of the gale northerly winds blowing the flame out and it taking forever to get 27L to a boil! So I invested in a couple of 2000 watt heat-sticks from eBay (for NZ$65) and went all electric and totally indoors!

I've done my last 2 brews this way and really like the convenience of just plugging things in and not worrying about gas refills and the like. However, the sticks are not earthed therefore an electrocution waiting to happen so for my next brew I'm taking a leaf out of the Aussies BIAB book and using cheapo kettle elements!

Can't wait

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
nICE! i LIKE IT, i'D LOVE TO GET INTO THIS SORTA STUFF, BUT I NEED TO LEARN SOME MORE ABOUT EVERYTHING FIRST. LOL
Just do it, once you've done it, you'll be glad you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnz View Post
Yeah it is magic - I think I'm just going to keep brewing it till I have it nailed and then refine it from there.

Here's the Stone clone that I tried and even though I missed the OG by a mile it still tasted bloody good: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/stone-ruination-clone-155771/

Thanks for the pics of your brewday looks like things are pretty full up! I've already upgraded my pot from a 35L to a 70L jobbie and by the looks of your pot it looks like it's from the same guy on Trademe!

I did 2 brews with gas on my deck, but had a guts full of the gale northerly winds blowing the flame out and it taking forever to get 27L to a boil! So I invested in a couple of 2000 watt heat-sticks from eBay (for NZ$65) and went all electric and totally indoors!

I've done my last 2 brews this way and really like the convenience of just plugging things in and not worrying about gas refills and the like. However, the sticks are not earthed therefore an electrocution waiting to happen so for my next brew I'm taking a leaf out of the Aussies BIAB book and using cheapo kettle elements!

Can't wait
Sweet, looks like another one to add into my recipe list

lol I was worried when I was putting in the last 2kgs in, got a couple of dough balls in there to, pretty sure I managed to break em up with my Bar-b-mate mash paddle

I've had 25L rolling in there, jut gotta be quick with the hot break, spray bottle with cold water is just there waiting.

I got my pot off a one day sale sight, can't remember which one, but it was only $70 if I recall. I want to go at least 3 50L, just need some time.

I never looked at electric brewing, only gas...reckon its worth it?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #26
crusader1612
Recipes 

you can get those pots off trademe for a pretty decent price... what size are you using??

quick question, I'm fermenting in the spare room, and the mrs. is complaining about the smell sticking and lingering long after my brewing is complete... please tell me shes wrong?! Otherwise I'm gonna have to find alternatives, which mean my great new hobby will haveto be put on hold.

one scenario I'm looking at is a fermenting chamber, to help diguise the smell. sealed and hopefully lined with some stuff I can get from my job.

P.S I don't have power in my garage, but I'm looking into it...

Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale Primary2: 100% Brett B Trois Saison Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale Barrel Aging: Oud Bruin In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA /NZPale Ale /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Red Barron Oak Ale In Kegs: (1)Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter (2) Red Barron Oak Ale (3) Nothing
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #27
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
you can get those pots off trademe for a pretty decent price... what size are you using??

quick question, I'm fermenting in the spare room, and the mrs. is complaining about the smell sticking and lingering long after my brewing is complete... please tell me shes wrong?! Otherwise I'm gonna have to find alternatives, which mean my great new hobby will haveto be put on hold.

one scenario I'm looking at is a fermenting chamber, to help diguise the smell. sealed and hopefully lined with some stuff I can get from my job.

P.S I don't have power in my garage, but I'm looking into it...
http://www.crazysales.co.nz/i/stainless_steel_stock_pot_sauce.html

Just brought another one for a HLT :-) Pretty much what I've already got.
Grab one or two of those and a large and small grain bag from www.brewshop.co.nz and you're ready to rock. Oh, might need a thermometer as well. I use a cheap candi one but have plans for dials in the new pot :-)

As for the smell, yeah I think there is some fermentation smells. I have mine in the hot water cupboard, so I never smell it

Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #28
crusader1612
Recipes 

Awesome Nice spotting, gotta love those 1day sites!

yeah I've been perousing brewshop.co.nz, in chch we have yourshout.co.nz as well its close by and the prices seem pretty reasonable.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #29
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Well here's the JD SMaSH after 10 days of primary and two days on Jack Daniels chips, soaked in Jack Daniels. Gravity of 1.020 higher than I wanted.

Smells like Jack, tastes like beer with a hint of bourbon and strangely vanilla. One more week one the chips to see how she goes.

forumrunner_20120620_212905.jpg  

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
crusader1612
Recipes 

Lookin Good!
Hey how do you guys boil?? inside or out? and what on if its outside, I'm being kicked outta the house, and was thinking of using my 3 burner bbq? alternatively, what sort of burner is good/sahould be used? i noticed lunchie it says about you using a 2 burner ring? where can i get these from ?? etc. etc. etc.

Quick Reply