Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #271
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie

Cheers for the advice. I've got a fair amount of hops in the freezer, so though I'd go nuts. 320g in 23L, should be good enough ya reckon?
I think that'll be plenty. Best use alot of late hops. From 15-0 I did a nice buttering at 60 then another at 30 then did 15-10-5-0 in hot whirlpool. Then 2 dry hops as well kettle hops were 120 IBU. Mines more red IIPA.

Had my racist Frenchman last night. Holy crap it's good

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #272
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
I think that'll be plenty. Best use alot of late hops. From 15-0 I did a nice buttering at 60 then another at 30 then did 15-10-5-0 in hot whirlpool. Then 2 dry hops as well kettle hops were 120 IBU. Mines more red IIPA.

Had my racist Frenchman last night. Holy crap it's good
Should work out alright

1.2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 60
1.2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 45
1.2 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 30
1.4 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 15
1.2 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 10
1.2 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 10
1.3 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ 10
2.8 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
1.4 g/L Centennial (9.5% Alpha) @ Dry Hop
1.2 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ Dry Hop

You keen for a beer swap?

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #273
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I bottled my second attempt at an Epic clone the other day ... even tasted about right! I'm now thinking that I need to do another brew, but what to do? What is a Red IIPA, and what type of beer is the Racist Frenchman?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #274
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post
Should work out alright

1.2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 60
1.2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 45
1.2 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 30
1.4 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 15
1.2 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 10
1.2 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 10
1.3 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ 10
2.8 g/L Cascade (9.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
1.4 g/L Centennial (9.5% Alpha) @ Dry Hop
1.2 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ Dry Hop

You keen for a beer swap?
Most definitely, would be good to try some of those beers you keep talking about. I'll even throw in one of my last Gunslingers graf's, lol. I think the plan will be to do the swap, when your IIPA is done and we can swap accordingly, along with maybe another brew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
I bottled my second attempt at an Epic clone the other day ... even tasted about right! I'm now thinking that I need to do another brew, but what to do? What is a Red IIPA, and what type of beer is the Racist Frenchman?
Red IIPa, is what I've kinda called my Double IPa, its similar to the like of Hop Zombie, Tuataras Double Trouble, and 8 wireds Hopwired and Superconducter. It's just a bit darker than those ones.
the other place is the recipe advice thread, and what are you brewing on realbeer, there heap of recipes on those threads, which have been created, by the more experienced guys, who know how flavours meld together etc.

My Racist Frenchman, I have renamed "Code Brown" But its a Saison/Belgian Brown, using 3711 yeast. and some simple darker malts to create a nice brown beers, witha red hue to it. Recipe is Partial Mash and is on my blog. If you did end up doing it, I'd be interested to try the difference.
If your looking for recipes theres heaps on here, or try Can you brew it for plenty of recipes, they even have 8wired iStout

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #275
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

ooooh.... brown saison sounds good.

I need to brew some more saison. Ran out recently. There's a few things i want to try with saisons.

One, I want to try and do something along the lines of xx bitter by De ranke.

I dont want to clone it, just get something along those lines. Will be doing a saison thats hopped like an apa/ipa. I am still undecided on hops, but keen to see how this kinda hopping schedule will work out using noble hops.

secondly, I want to do a standard saison, then do a secondary fermentation with brett (or maybe at bottling time). I acquired some brett (accidentally) in some bottles of a Tripel I brewed a while ago. There may be some other stuff in there... who knows. Definite horse blanket/barnyard going on there. I've been looking for an excuse to see what i can do with it. Might do a split batch and dose half and leave the rest. See how different they turn out.

I also want to do a really dark saison. Something along the lines of THIS

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #276
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant
ooooh.... brown saison sounds good.

I need to brew some more saison. Ran out recently. There's a few things i want to try with saisons.

One, I want to try and do something along the lines of xx bitter by De ranke.

I dont want to clone it, just get something along those lines. Will be doing a saison thats hopped like an apa/ipa. I am still undecided on hopes, but keen to see how this kinda hopping schedule will work out using noble hops.

secondly, I want to do a standard saison, then do a secondary fermentation with brett (or maybe at bottling time). I acquired some brett (accidentally) in some bottles of a Tripel I brewed a while ago. There may be some other stuff in there... who knows. Definite horse blanket/barnyard going on there. I've been looking for an excuse to see what i can do with it. Might do a split batch and dose half and leave the rest. See how different they turn out.

I also want to do a really dark saison. Something along the lines of THIS
Yeah The brown saison is good used 3711 too which kinda makes it I think. I took inspiration from our friend the mad fermentationist And used elements of his light and dark saisons

I've got a belgian IPA coming up later in the year so I'm planning on splitting some wort off with 3711. Your plan sounds good :-)

Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #277
sockmerchant
Recipes 

I like 3711, but think I prefer the Dupont strain (Belgian Saison 3724). People say its a pain in the ass, but I've never had it finish higher than 1.005.

I also like WLP566

At some point I'd like to give Wyeast 3725 and Wyeast 3726 a go too.

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #278
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Most definitely, would be good to try some of those beers you keep talking about. I'll even throw in one of my last Gunslingers graf's, lol. I think the plan will be to do the swap, when your IIPA is done and we can swap accordingly, along with maybe another brew?
Sounds good.
I don't have much in stock - summer has been hot
Flick me a PM on here or on the blog and we can sort something out

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #279
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post
Sounds good.
I don't have much in stock - summer has been hot
Flick me a PM on here or on the blog and we can sort something out
Will do.
Hey I notice your getting pretty good efficiency? Any Ideas why that is?? Where are you getting your malts from these days? Your still BIAB with no sparge right?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #280
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Ok! I have my stuff ready for a belgian sour. I am still trying to decide exactly what I want to brew, but I think its going to be an oud bruin. The plan is to start fermentation with US-05, then 2 days later, I'll pitch the bugs. I will be using White LAbs WLP665.

"Blended culture used to produce the classic beer styles of the West Flanders region of Belgium . A proprietary blend of Saccharomyces yeasts, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus, this culture creates a more complex, dark stone fruit characteristic than WLP 655 Belgian Sour Mix."

Sounds good to me. Who the hell knows how this will turn out. Guess we'll see in a year!

Quick Reply