Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #241
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
Indeed I am Richard from RealBeer. I followed the method written by John Palmer. I made a MLT following his instructions, I have a Mashmaster thermometer attached. Foolishly I poured all the contents of the grain bags into the MLT before I suddenly realised they weren't the exact amounts (not thinking ... too hyped up probably). The yield from my first batch (after boiling) was 16L, and perhaps I should have added more water to the boil to keep the amount up. I chilled the wort down to 18 degrees and poured the entire lot into the fermenter. (Again, not thinking.) Pitched the yeast and waited. Fermented for two weeks, cold crashed (in the family fridge - very cooperative wife!) and bottled. I primed using an water/sugar solute, based on Palmer's and another net source's guidelines and bottled. Two weeks later I got the result as outlined above.

I'm annoyed and more than a little embarrassed that I made so many stupid mistakes, especially after reading and re-reading Palmer's instructions and a lot of info from this and RealBeer's posts. WhileI wasn't expecting an Epic clone after all my errors I was disappointed by the outcome ... so far. I really appreciate all the comments and encouragement from everyone. So, batch #2 this Saturday, then it's pizzas in the tandoor oven I have built.
NICE! A Tandoor Oven.
Don't worry too much about not getting it right the first time. I've many numerous mistakes as well, its all part of the learning experience. I made a blonde ale and it didn't go well, 5 months down the line and i finished the batch, as it tasted like vodka for 2-3 monts, and now its amazing.! no more left though. I've over done it on water, and made watery beer... dont ask.
Keep us posted on how you get on, the key is to find a process that works for you. and stick with it.
I'm crusader-Rob on realbeer btw.

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #242
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 119

At the end of the day, you made beer.
Might not taste like what you wanted, so give it to someone else, who doesn't appreciate good beer Keep on brewing though!!!

I forget who I am on RealBeer, but I'm floating around there as well!

Ninja Edit: Any of you on Untappd?

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 01-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #243
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Gidday Lunchie, I saw you on RealBeer a while ago too... can't remember your login though. The second batch is well into its boil, about to do the 2nd hop addition. Apart from the bloody wind blowing the burner out (I was brewing it outside the garage, but have now moved proceedings to the shelter of the back deck) things are progressing well. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #244
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
Gidday Lunchie, I saw you on RealBeer a while ago too... can't remember your login though. The second batch is well into its boil, about to do the 2nd hop addition. Apart from the bloody wind blowing the burner out (I was brewing it outside the garage, but have now moved proceedings to the shelter of the back deck) things are progressing well. Fingers crossed.
Best of luck to you mate. Hope it went well.
Like Lunchie said, its beer, so drink up. haha.

give it some age, let it sit for a bit, and see how it mellows out, like I said my Blonde turned out brilliantly, after some fermentation issues.

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #245
crusader1612
Recipes 

Hey Lunchie, I see you went imperial?! Problems? what if anything causedd the medicinal taste? you sure its not just a hot alcohol thing going on??

I'm planning a big one in a couple of weeks, taken inspiration from biermunchers tits up IIPA. But just a half batch.

By the way, I linked your blog through mine.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #246
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Hey Lunchie, I see you went imperial?! Problems? what if anything causedd the medicinal taste? you sure its not just a hot alcohol thing going on??

I'm planning a big one in a couple of weeks, taken inspiration from biermunchers tits up IIPA. But just a half batch.

By the way, I linked your blog through mine.
Cheers for the link
As for the medicinal taste on the IPA/Amber I have no idea aye. It might be the temperature the fermentation was sitting at. It was during a really hot spell and I had the fermenter in the bath and was swapping out a 10L ice block every 4 - 8 hours. The thermometer on the side was reading 20, so put at least another 2 degrees on that and it was probably fermenting at 22 - 24 degrees. Not ideal temps by anyone's standards!

To be fair Rakau are probably a good hop - I have some left so might play with it again, but time will tell!

All about experimenting I guess - lesson from this, get some fermentation temp control ASAP

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #247
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post
Cheers for the link
As for the medicinal taste on the IPA/Amber I have no idea aye. It might be the temperature the fermentation was sitting at. It was during a really hot spell and I had the fermenter in the bath and was swapping out a 10L ice block every 4 - 8 hours. The thermometer on the side was reading 20, so put at least another 2 degrees on that and it was probably fermenting at 22 - 24 degrees. Not ideal temps by anyone's standards!

To be fair Rakau are probably a good hop - I have some left so might play with it again, but time will tell!

All about experimenting I guess - lesson from this, get some fermentation temp control ASAP
Yeah sounds like fermentation, I had medicinal in my hweat, which settled out after awhile. give it time, she'll be right.
I'm going a IIPA in a couple of weeks, Zythos, Centennial Cascade and Columbus, 11l batch, part mash. first brew when i get back in the house. and do some smaller batches while i get my bre shed done... ther'll be picutre posted on my progess. on the blog

Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #248
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah sounds like fermentation, I had medicinal in my hweat, which settled out after awhile. give it time, she'll be right.
I'm going a IIPA in a couple of weeks, Zythos, Centennial Cascade and Columbus, 11l batch, part mash. first brew when i get back in the house. and do some smaller batches while i get my bre shed done... ther'll be picutre posted on my progess. on the blog
That was my thoughts - the last 4 bottles in my possession are currently hiding in the back of my fridge!

Brewed a Vienna/Orbit SMaSH yesterday. Currently fermenting @ 22ish degrees! Smells DEVINE going in. Massive overshoot, was aiming for 1.063 and hit 1.071 instead! All good though, it'll be beer

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #249
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post
That was my thoughts - the last 4 bottles in my possession are currently hiding in the back of my fridge!

Brewed a Vienna/Orbit SMaSH yesterday. Currently fermenting @ 22ish degrees! Smells DEVINE going in. Massive overshoot, was aiming for 1.063 and hit 1.071 instead! All good though, it'll be beer
I found with Alcohol heat, the best way to get rid, is standard bottle conditioning, you have a pantry? I'd recommend that, my blonde tasted like vodka, and after 4 months in the bottle, its probably my fav beer. Sat in the cupboard for 3 months.

Orbit? Never tried it? Don't those change depending on the season? or am I waaay off the mark?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #250
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
I found with Alcohol heat, the best way to get rid, is standard bottle conditioning, you have a pantry? I'd recommend that, my blonde tasted like vodka, and after 4 months in the bottle, its probably my fav beer. Sat in the cupboard for 3 months.

Orbit? Never tried it? Don't those change depending on the season? or am I waaay off the mark?
It's definitely not alcohol, I'm not to worried about it

Yeah Orbit from the website:
ORBIT are a blend of hops specially selected out of the New Zealand “Hops with a Difference” breeding programme. Stringent selection processes and long term growing trials can result in some really excellent hops being rejected on agronomic performance or other plant management issues.

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Quick Reply