Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #231
NZLunchie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
the ornage Pale Ale, I can't really taste mush in the way of the Orange of coriander, althouigh i did drop the amount of the adjuncts.
I had the same thing with my one. Not sure I'll brew it again. It came out a little sweet for me, either that or I'll up the hops

Pics look good, whats your Stout recipe?

@MacrosNZ nice!! My hops are doing pretty well in the heat we've been having. I'll try and get a picture up later!

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #232
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie

I had the same thing with my one. Not sure I'll brew it again. It came out a little sweet for me, either that or I'll up the hops

Pics look good, whats your Stout recipe?

@MacrosNZ nice!! My hops are doing pretty well in the heat we've been having. I'll try and get a picture up later!
It's my dark Graf was a test with y gifted stout kit. Miners stout kit plus additional dark LME. 10litre of apple juice and willamette yet and cascade as additional hops and fermented for one month with tett dry hop of 28 g

Brew day today a black saison on the existing yeast cake. My own recipe kind of a brain fart really. Rye malt carapils wheat some light dime and pale choc. Oh and carafa 2 lol saaz and nelson

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #233
crusader1612
Recipes 

Blog Inspired by Lunchie: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #234
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Blog Inspired by Lunchie: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
Nice

I find the blog really good for historical purposes, going back and seeing how things were back when!

Welcome to the blog obsession - I'll throw yours into my blog feed, hope you get HEAPS of hits!!

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #235
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hi all, my first attempt at brewing (AG, since you ask) Epic clone is not all it could be. I made many mistakes, and the final ignominy being the bottle priming failed to fire, leaving me with a flat, slightly sweet load of s**t. Oh well, I'm about to try another brew this weekend, so any pointers would be very helpful.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #236
mahe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sweet taste: Did you do the hydrometer check? Sounds like residual sugars.

My very first AG was very sweet, I only got it down to about 1035ish, target was 1016, so that was way off. Resulting in a very sweet beer with banana flavor (yeast esters) to boot, so in my case it was not fermented enough and in too high temp/too few yeasties at pitch.

Lack of fizz: do batch priming and leave it to condition for the entire duration.

Proud member of Home Brew Tuesday.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #237
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
Hi all, my first attempt at brewing (AG, since you ask) Epic clone is not all it could be. I made many mistakes, and the final ignominy being the bottle priming failed to fire, leaving me with a flat, slightly sweet load of s**t. Oh well, I'm about to try another brew this weekend, so any pointers would be very helpful.
I think the big thing is the FG this will determine the sweetness. i did brew inspired by the epic recipe, and it came out sweeter, but it was only 1.017-8ish. and it was good, very good sweet, yet the hops were nicely balanced.
bottle priming? did you add sugar direct to the bottles? or use tabs?

I recommend batch priming: 2 cups waterwith 120g of dextrose brewing sugar boiled for 10-15 mins, and poured in t bucket, then the beer racked on top by siphon, and if you want, you can mix to ensure even distribution. and then bottle. this has given me perfect result everytime.
Outline your process and maybe we can pinpoint where you went wrong.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #238
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I think the big thing is the FG this will determine the sweetness. i did brew inspired by the epic recipe, and it came out sweeter, but it was only 1.017-8ish. and it was good, very good sweet, yet the hops were nicely balanced.
bottle priming? did you add sugar direct to the bottles? or use tabs?

I recommend batch priming: 2 cups waterwith 120g of dextrose brewing sugar boiled for 10-15 mins, and poured in t bucket, then the beer racked on top by siphon, and if you want, you can mix to ensure even distribution. and then bottle. this has given me perfect result everytime.
Outline your process and maybe we can pinpoint where you went wrong.
I did batch prime, as you outlined and ended up with a FG about the same as yours. Prior to priming and bottling the FG was 1010, and now it is sweeter with a higher FG. It has been suggested that i leave it alone for another four to six weeks and taste test again.

I'm doing another Epic Pale Ale this Saturday, so fingers crossed.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #239
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
I did batch prime, as you outlined and ended up with a FG about the same as yours. Prior to priming and bottling the FG was 1010, and now it is sweeter with a higher FG. It has been suggested that i leave it alone for another four to six weeks and taste test again.

I'm doing another Epic Pale Ale this Saturday, so fingers crossed.
Ahhh, so you are richard on realbeer?
I see the mountains of advice you got from the experienced guys. how much priming sugar did you use and whats your process??

Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #240
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Indeed I am Richard from RealBeer. I followed the method written by John Palmer. I made a MLT following his instructions, I have a Mashmaster thermometer attached. Foolishly I poured all the contents of the grain bags into the MLT before I suddenly realised they weren't the exact amounts (not thinking ... too hyped up probably). The yield from my first batch (after boiling) was 16L, and perhaps I should have added more water to the boil to keep the amount up. I chilled the wort down to 18 degrees and poured the entire lot into the fermenter. (Again, not thinking.) Pitched the yeast and waited. Fermented for two weeks, cold crashed (in the family fridge - very cooperative wife!) and bottled. I primed using an water/sugar solute, based on Palmer's and another net source's guidelines and bottled. Two weeks later I got the result as outlined above.

I'm annoyed and more than a little embarrassed that I made so many stupid mistakes, especially after reading and re-reading Palmer's instructions and a lot of info from this and RealBeer's posts. WhileI wasn't expecting an Epic clone after all my errors I was disappointed by the outcome ... so far. I really appreciate all the comments and encouragement from everyone. So, batch #2 this Saturday, then it's pizzas in the tandoor oven I have built.

Quick Reply