Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #201
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie

5 days then I'll taste and see how it is. I'm not to worried if it goes bad, I'll just make it into a sour beer

I'm not a huge fan of NS, but you had me Motueka. By far my favourite hop!! I'd throw more in it if I was you
I've heard that a 3:1 ratio gives something similar to riwaka which is why I went this route. There plenty of ibus without the 60 min addition. Looking forward to it

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #202
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Temp control

Hi Lunchie, not sure what just happened to my question, but it went somewhere! Anyway, I'm doing my first ever batch on Sunday (Epic Pale Ale ... your version next!) but am having sleepless nights wondering how to control the temperature of the fermenter. Do you have any cunning ideas (preferably cheap!).

Cheers,
Richard.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #203
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
Hi Lunchie, not sure what just happened to my question, but it went somewhere! Anyway, I'm doing my first ever batch on Sunday (Epic Pale Ale ... your version next!) but am having sleepless nights wondering how to control the temperature of the fermenter. Do you have any cunning ideas (preferably cheap!).

Cheers,
Richard.
Awesome! Have fun brewin'

In all honesty, I've never worried about it. I just throw it in the hot water cupboard and leave it. We no longer have the water cylinder in there though so if I don't notice the bubbling air lock I'll put a blanket around the fermenter and leave it. I've never had fermentation issues with it in there and the beer comes out more than drinkable

If it gets to hot, I guess a swamp cooler could work, but you'd run the risk of it getting into lager temps.....

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #204
icecaster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Grab one of these: http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living...-536578184.htm or
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animal...-536232577.htm

All you need is a little plastic box and a 2m extension cord to wire it all up.
You can then attach the temp sensor with blue tack to the fermenter and control any heating source you like with it.
Preferably a heating pad (~$40)

Old 11-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #205
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for that, Icecaster. I have just been on TradeMe and bought one. My first brew was meant to be last weekend, but I was forced to go fishing on a mate's flash boat. What's a man to do?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #206
crusader1612
Recipes 

So I caved in and decided to hold my NZ Brown until after Christmas. With one more learning brew on my new setup. And the credit on my change goes to the inspirations how have with the orange cascade pale ale which is what I'll be doing this weekend an exact replica cos I have us cascade in my fridge. Followed closely by the same again with 2 changes. An additional 1kg of wheat malt and ill be using liquid yeast 3711 Saison which I think will go well with the flavours already present in this particular recipe. Then ill do my brown. Then it'll be brew shed building time..... Along with keg starting. Might have to start a blog like you mate

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #207
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
So I caved in and decided to hold my NZ Brown until after Christmas. With one more learning brew on my new setup. And the credit on my change goes to the inspirations how have with the orange cascade pale ale which is what I'll be doing this weekend an exact replica cos I have us cascade in my fridge. Followed closely by the same again with 2 changes. An additional 1kg of wheat malt and ill be using liquid yeast 3711 Saison which I think will go well with the flavours already present in this particular recipe. Then ill do my brown. Then it'll be brew shed building time..... Along with keg starting. Might have to start a blog like you mate
Yeah the Orange Cascade seems to be a good drop aye. I'll put some tasting notes up once I've had a taste around Christmas time.

I'm doing a Vienna/Centennial SMaSH on Saturday, figured National Crate Day I may as well brew

Yeah a blog is a good way to keep track of what you do

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #208
crusader1612
Recipes 

Nice Vienna Centennial SMaSH sounds good. I'll be participating in a kit beer for carte day, lol its been conditioning for about 6 weeks. bottled the blueberry part of my beer last night, as i bottled the boysenberry last week, and thegraf was bottled sunday afternoon.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #209
crusader1612
Recipes 

Hey Lunchie, what sort of temps do you mash at? do you follow the recipes, as its BIAB, or do you heat your strike water and just chuck in the grains and mash, i guess for BIAB you can up the heat easier than Cooler Mashing. just interested to see

Old 11-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #210
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Hey Lunchie, what sort of temps do you mash at? do you follow the recipes, as its BIAB, or do you heat your strike water and just chuck in the grains and mash, i guess for BIAB you can up the heat easier than Cooler Mashing. just interested to see
Depends on the recipe. I basically follow whatever BrewMate tells me it should be. I heat the water, with the bag in, to 5 - 10 degrees higher than what it should be then throw the grains in, give it a real good stir then I should hit the mash temp bang on. I'll check it and give it a stir through the mash and if it needs heat, I'll jump chuck the little burner on.

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Quick Reply