Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
k-trips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm still very new to homebrewing...

So far I used an extract kit about 3 weeks ago and also a week ago started a very basic one from supermarket applejuice.. I have a mate in Hastings who has offered me a swag of apple juice in the nea future - his olds own an orchard and he's just in the process of making a press which will use a forklift somehow (?) - he reckon he'll be able to get 800litres from the "waste apples"

This is what I've done so far..

Extract (currently in bottles and waiting)

Supermarket juice (I'm racking into bottles this weekend)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Red and Black Country here... Its BLoody cold too! I've got a low alcohol beer in bottles (I over did the water a bit), but it'll be sweet for if I ever have to drive.

Next one is this weekend, Apple and Feijoa Cider http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/apple-feijoa-pineapple-guava-332007/

K-Trips has seen this one, but keep an eye on it , and I'll let you know how it turns out...

What does everyone think of the first line-up for the irish test?

Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale Primary2: 100% Brett B Trois Saison Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale Barrel Aging: Oud Bruin In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA /NZPale Ale /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Red Barron Oak Ale In Kegs: (1)Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter (2) Red Barron Oak Ale (3) Nothing
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I've tried to make cider, but failed in every step. I've also browsed on here about supermarket juice but couldn't find anything to concrete using us or not. I have heard that the extra vit C that's put in makes for a very tart cider.

k-trips that's a **** load of juice!!! I did look at getting some apples from Massey, they run a rent a tree programme. But alas, I couldn't get my hands on a press.

Nice name crusader1612!! I might be a Manawatu boy, but I support the Crusaders through and through :-)

I'll keep an eye on your post there. If it works out then I'll be sure to follow :-P

AB's line up. Yeah can't see why Ali and Piri are there. They're not performing at all, just like Nonu and he was dropped....We'll thrash em though!! Good to see the two Aaron's making it as well!!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
crusader1612
Recipes 

yeah poor old A Ellis!!! gotta feel for him this time round... should be fine, I kinda want the irish to win, to make a mockery of Mr Hansen though... maybe then they'll bring on board kirwan or rennie or someone with some coaching skills, lol.

Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale Primary2: 100% Brett B Trois Saison Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale Barrel Aging: Oud Bruin In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA /NZPale Ale /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Red Barron Oak Ale In Kegs: (1)Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter (2) Red Barron Oak Ale (3) Nothing
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
NZLunchie
Recipes 

LoL but Hansen is a good Canterbury man!! Surely you want him to succeed?
I've heard stories about him when he played back in Canterbury from one of his old team mates who coaches here in Palmy. Sounds like he's one for the rules aye.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #16
crusader1612
Recipes 

Yeah hes a Canty man, I just don'tthink hes really up to the big job.

So what brews have you done in the past?

Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #17
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Ummm, most of the Muntons LME range, a couple of Black Rock and Mangrove Jacks LME cans. I mixed it up as well by using dextrose and a second can of unhoped LME.

Made a stout with a Black Rock Miners Stout, a can of dark LME and a couple straps of Black Knight licorice. That came out really nice.

Attempted a kiwifruit beer - came out ok, but not what we thought it would come out like. Basically a wheat beer can kit with kiwifruit boiled in it. If I was to do it again, I'd freeze the fruit and rack on top for a month or so.

My first partial was a Fat Yak clone, but I used just Motueka hops, came up really good. Love Motueka hops!! I wouldn't mind doing that again with some other new hops i.e. Riwaka, Zythos, Kohatu or Rakau. It's a good base beer to throw hops at to get a pretty cheap and decent tasting beer.

My first All Grain was an Epic Pale Ale clone. Brewed especially for my 30th in May. That came out fantastic. I used NZ Cascade instead of American Cascade there, felt more Kiwi. By far my best brew. Came in at 6.9% so had some people on there ass pretty quick!

Brewed an Irish Red for my 30th as well loosely based on a recipe from here, not quite what I was looking for but very moreish. I think I'll brew it again but drop the roast malt a little, came in a little too strong for me.

I like to experiment with my brews and as such haven't brewed a beer twice yet - I think the Epic Clone I'll brew again. Has to be my favourite craft brew by far.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #18
crusader1612
Recipes 

Nice one!

the epic clone sounds ace, i've only just started brewing myself

Did the Munich Lager first. didn't turn out as well I misread the instructions lol bit of a shame, couple of litres too much water.

I just put down my apple and feijoa cider this morning....

Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Nice one!

the epic clone sounds ace, i've only just started brewing myself

Did the Munich Lager first. didn't turn out as well I misread the instructions lol bit of a shame, couple of litres too much water.

I just put down my apple and feijoa cider this morning....
I have to rate Epic's Pale Ale. Has to be my favourite beer EVER so had to clone it. If you ever get a chance try it yourself. Was pretty easy. Recipe is on here:

Yeah I think the Munich was my first beer to, straight out the box. Nice beer, just need more alcohol in it I moved away from the cans of malt and bag of sugar for double cans of malt, on hopped and the other plain. Made a big difference in the beer and boosting the % a little to

I've just finished brewing the JD SMaSH. Got it sitting outside in the fermenter cooling

I'll put up some pics later, gotta deal with the little one first.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
brewnz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Epic Pale Ale Clone here too guys. Me and a guy at work have been trying to make this since late April and I thought it was funny NZLunchie how you were making it around the same time too! but with far greater success from the details on your website (which is rocking btw).

I've made this 3 times so far with the 1st (20L batch) and 3rd (34L batch) tries being well off the OG mark. I let that ride with the 20L batch and that was still very drinkable but with the 34L batch I had to add table sugar to the boil to make up for lost efficiency.

My 2nd attempt (Anzac day), came out at 1.048 OG so I was pretty stoked with that and it tasted wonderful! my 3rd attempt will be bottled tonight so it'll be interesting to taste what the sugar imparts on the beer - I'm sure it'll be drinkable.

Another clone I've made is the Stone Ruination, which again I didn't hit my OG by a long shot and had to add table sugar to that too - that tasted fine but just not as good as the good old EPA.

So yeah still very much 'playing' around with the gear I have and trying improve on my crap efficiency but am still loving the process.

When I feel I've got a handle on things I'll look into making a recipe of my own...but no rush.

Cheers!

Quick Reply