Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #181
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Macros, you get any scores from your beers entered?

Barrel Aging: Red Barron Oak Barrel Amber Ale
In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA
On Tap: Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #182
crusader1612
Recipes 

I meant to say... I got way way closer to my target volumes this time, and after leaving over night and letting it all settle, the trub in the bottom is at least half as much maybe more!!! Which to me means more beer in the fermenter, not significant, but i might get another bottle out of it? I'l let you know how much it affects the cleanliness of the beer...

In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #183
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Mashing in my Rhubarb Saison now, gone old school using the stop top since its a little baby (15L).
Check me out on Twitter @jfran009 for live updates

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #184
crusader1612
Recipes 

Dammit Lunchie !
I see you targetted that Orange Pale Ale Recipe, which I also have earmarked... lol let me know how it turns out, despite your little hiccup. I'm kkeen to do this in the new year, once Christmas is all out of the way.

Racking tonight onto my boysenberries and blueberries, I flagged the pineapple plan at this stage. Pureed and sitting on campden tablets now.
Photos to follow...

Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #185
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post
Mashing in my Rhubarb Saison now, gone old school using the stop top since its a little baby (15L).
Check me out on Twitter @jfran009 for live updates
Gidday Lunchie, despite my login I'm a complete brewing virgin! After making a pizza oven for a mate, and building a tandoor oven for home I thought I would have a crack at brewing. Never one to walk before I can run I'm going All-Grain from the get-go. I can't get enough of Epic Pale Ale and am looking at that as my first brew. Do you recommend the EPA or your AAA version? The brew shop I will use (in Albany - I'm in Whangaparaoa) doesn't have the Golden Promise malt ... where can I get some from? Cheers.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #186
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Dammit Lunchie !
I see you targetted that Orange Pale Ale Recipe, which I also have earmarked... lol let me know how it turns out, despite your little hiccup. I'm kkeen to do this in the new year, once Christmas is all out of the way.

Racking tonight onto my boysenberries and blueberries, I flagged the pineapple plan at this stage. Pureed and sitting on campden tablets now.
Photos to follow...
Yeah bro, it'll be beer at the end of the day aye, so no worries. It smelt amazing when I threw it all in the fermenter. I also used random oranges I had in the fruit bowl, no idea what they were. But yeah man I'll let you know how it goes

I've got the rhubarb in the freezer, I cut it, washed it and threw it in the freezer, so hope that's enough to get rid of any goobies on it, if not, I might have my first sour beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
Gidday Lunchie, despite my login I'm a complete brewing virgin! After making a pizza oven for a mate, and building a tandoor oven for home I thought I would have a crack at brewing. Never one to walk before I can run I'm going All-Grain from the get-go. I can't get enough of Epic Pale Ale and am looking at that as my first brew. Do you recommend the EPA or your AAA version? The brew shop I will use (in Albany - I'm in Whangaparaoa) doesn't have the Golden Promise malt ... where can I get some from? Cheers.
Hey Mac, welcome to the madness First off, good choice on the Epic Pale Ale choice. Top beer IMHO! As for the recipe, I'd recommend my third attempt and by far the greatest beer I've made, if I do say so myself, the ManawaBrew Pale Ale. It uses the same malt base as the Epic Pale Ale clone, but I threw Cascade and Motueka at it. If you want the recipe, let me know and I'll chuck it up.

Personally, I'd experiment. If you can do two batches one following the clone to a T and the other, just play. I like lots of aroma and flavour so I through more hops in during the boil from 15mins - 0min and dry hop it more than the clone says. Personal preference.

As for the Golden Promise, I use The Brew House in Wellington. Brilliant service and their crush seems to be bang on. I've got above 70% in the last two brews and the 2 I did before that I got into the 80% and that's BIAB!!!

Anyone noticed that Black Rock have some recipe's on their website? More than they had when I started brewing thats for sure!

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #187
mac-the-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for your response and the info, Lunchie. I'm with you on the aroma and flavor, so would appreciate your recipe for the ManawaBrew Pale Ale.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #188
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-the-brewer View Post
Thanks for your response and the info, Lunchie. I'm with you on the aroma and flavor, so would appreciate your recipe for the ManawaBrew Pale Ale.
Ask and you shall receive
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/mana...4/#post4581098

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #189
mahe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hi all

I do both kits and small batch all grain brewing. Does anyone know of a good grain mill or might have some input for a design that will work? I want to crush my own grain, it is way too expensive to buy the already chrushed at my regular vendor (Hauraki, in Albany).

And on a side note, anyone going to any interestin homwbrew festivals/gatherings?

Proud member of Home Brew Tuesday.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #190
mahe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Does any of you Auckland brewers know anything about the water around the North Shore or Auckland in general? how hard, chlorine/cloramine, mineral composition etc.

Proud member of Home Brew Tuesday.

Quick Reply