Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > New Zealand Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #171
MacrosNZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Not really... I just used the purple type. Was for a 5 gal batch. The smoke is a little bit overpowering at first but after a couple of weeks in the bottle it's smoothed out. Can try just using normal smoke if you want. I used a little less of the heavy stuff in the second batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #172
Dubnorix
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey guys, another Auckland brewer here just popping in to say Hi!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #173
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnorix View Post
Hey guys, another Auckland brewer here just popping in to say Hi!
Welcome, ll the way from CHCH

So, update. I was bored on the weekend, and don't have the capacity to maintain a constant heat for a second fermenter, however I saw the gunslingers graf, and thought bugger it. so i did it , except i used the black rock miners stout kit (I was goingto use your Tui recipe Lunchie) with another black LME, up to 10 litres for it, plus some additional hops. 20grams cascade, 10 grams willamette, and about 5 grams of tettnanger.
threw it in with 10 litre of fresh up crisp apple juice and 2 packets of us-05.
OG was 1.070, pretty high, and tastes a bit tangy... from the apple juice.

if you search on here: gunslinger, you'll find it.

Its an experiment so time will tell, leaving it in primary for 3 weeks, and then i'll rack to secondary, depending on EQC and let it age.

Doing this one has made me wonder about snakebites/diesels. thoughts?
Barrel Aging: Red Barron Oak Barrel Amber Ale
In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA
On Tap: Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #174
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I've seen and thought about doing the Graff thing a fair bit, but never have.

I've bottled my American Pale Ale, made an bottled a Stout and threw together a Black Rock cider for Christmas. Hopefully the APA is as good as I think it is and it becomes my house ale.

I've got one more APA to go for Christmas and then I'll think about playing around with some ideas.

Home brewing is all about experiments right!
If you do go for the Tui recipe let me know how it turns out! I'm well and truly moved on from the kits but I still wouldn't mind knowing how it goes.

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #175
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post
I've seen and thought about doing the Graff thing a fair bit, but never have.

I've bottled my American Pale Ale, made an bottled a Stout and threw together a Black Rock cider for Christmas. Hopefully the APA is as good as I think it is and it becomes my house ale.

I've got one more APA to go for Christmas and then I'll think about playing around with some ideas.

Home brewing is all about experiments right!
If you do go for the Tui recipe let me know how it turns out! I'm well and truly moved on from the kits but I still wouldn't mind knowing how it goes.
I'll let you know how it turns out on the graf side of things.Send a bottle my way I'll be sure to give you a good idea, of how good it is ... lol. "TUI: I'll swap you for a Graf, Yeah Right" lol

Oh and Lunchie, My All Grain has some teething problems, but I'm working on it . just water volumes, otherwise its all looking pretty good , Next Up Boysenbeer.

As a separate question: what do you lot do wqith your trub at the bottom of the kettle, do you pour it all into the fermenter, or do you rack off the top with a siphone, to keep things clear? generally things settle out when cooling, but i've been getting alot of the trub in there recently., which clogs things up a little bit sometimes.
Its more an experiment to see if it even works.
In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #176
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
I'll let you know how it turns out on the graf side of things.Send a bottle my way I'll be sure to give you a good idea, of how good it is ... lol. "TUI: I'll swap you for a Graf, Yeah Right" lol

Oh and Lunchie, My All Grain has some teething problems, but I'm working on it . just water volumes, otherwise its all looking pretty good , Next Up Boysenbeer.

As a separate question: what do you lot do wqith your trub at the bottom of the kettle, do you pour it all into the fermenter, or do you rack off the top with a siphone, to keep things clear? generally things settle out when cooling, but i've been getting alot of the trub in there recently., which clogs things up a little bit sometimes.
Its more an experiment to see if it even works.
Yeah could do a swap around of some beers.......

Good work on the AG, once you hit it on the head you won't want to look back! I'm hitting at least 80% efficiency with my setup and thats BIAB!

With the trub, depending on the style of beer, it all goes in. If I'm looking for a clearer beer, then I'll leave maybe 1 or 2 litres in the pot. I use hops bags now as well, which reduces the hop matter in the kettle and fermenter. Definitely worth it

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #177
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah could do a swap around of some beers.......

Good work on the AG, once you hit it on the head you won't want to look back! I'm hitting at least 80% efficiency with my setup and thats BIAB!

With the trub, depending on the style of beer, it all goes in. If I'm looking for a clearer beer, then I'll leave maybe 1 or 2 litres in the pot. I use hops bags now as well, which reduces the hop matter in the kettle and fermenter. Definitely worth it
Should probably look into hop Bags, to reduce that sorta stuff. Any recommendations for where i can get them from? I've used panyhose in the past.
I've been told to cool by a couple of guys, then whirlpool. and leave to sit for 30 mins then auto siphon out. transfer the remainder into a jug and let it settle out. i think that'll be the best start for now, if i want clearer beer, i'll start using hop bags, might hop bag when i dry hop from now on though... pantyhose to start with, until i get proper stuff.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #178
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Should probably look into hop Bags, to reduce that sorta stuff. Any recommendations for where i can get them from? I've used panyhose in the past.
I've been told to cool by a couple of guys, then whirlpool. and leave to sit for 30 mins then auto siphon out. transfer the remainder into a jug and let it settle out. i think that'll be the best start for now, if i want clearer beer, i'll start using hop bags, might hop bag when i dry hop from now on though... pantyhose to start with, until i get proper stuff.
Bunnings, Mitre10, Placemakers. I'm just using muslin cloth cut as required.
I've found Golden Promise is a terrible grain for trub, a HEAP of crap left the last time I did the APA. Might just depend on the grain.

I'm using Koppafloc to and its magical stuff. Within 5 mins of being in the fermenter the trub has settled.

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #179
NZLunchie
Recipes 

33 bottles of Black Rock Cider done.
They reckon 5 weeks, hopefully its fully carbed by then!

Anyone have any luck at the SOBA NHC?

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd

Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #180
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
33 bottles of Black Rock Cider done.
They reckon 5 weeks, hopefully its fully carbed by then!

Anyone have any luck at the SOBA NHC?
Nice Work. Fruit beer went down last night, after a long day bottling and brewing... I broke my hydrometer which didn't help so I don't know how my efficiency was. I also tried the recommendation of getting rid of the trub from the kettle. Cool, then whirlpool (I justy used my spoon to get it really moving) then leave for about 20-30mins and auto siphon off into the fermenter til you start getting the crap in there. If you con't have enough, you recover it by pouring it all into a bottle, putting it in the fridge and settling it out, then adding the next morning. I'll tell you what it worked a treat, it adds half an hour or so onto the day, but with the amount of trub in the fermenter now, it was totally worth it!!!

Bottled my ESB, which was my first AG. I'm happy, taste wise. i missed my volumes by 6 litres and OG by 3 points. 1.048 instead of 1.051 got down to 1.010 with wyeast 1028 London ale.

So, in one week, i'll be racking my fruit beer onto boysenberries for half and I'm toying with the idea of actually putting the other half with pineapple and coconut....??!?! then in another week I'll be bottling, along with my graf i think, seeing as I'll be going to Oz the week after, so get it all cleared up before then. that'll be 3 weeks primary for my graf.

Had some good fortune in the NHC, no prizes, but i got 27/50, which was above average for my Cascadian Pale Ale. Flavour for 8/20 for appearance 3/3, which i was pretty happy with some improvement to be had, but that'll come next year, when i finish my brewshed...

NZLunchie Likes This 

Quick Reply