Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Korea microbreweries???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
tyler111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Korea microbreweries???

I am in Hwasong (about an hour south of Seoul) and am curious if anyone has good microbrew/pub recommendations in Seoul, Osan, Suwon City, etc? I'm only here for another week in business and would like to find some good non-Hite beer. Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Bryali
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I haven't seen any microbrews but I am looking for any other home brewers. I'm sure you're already back home, but if anyone else on here is in the Land of the Morning Calm, let me know. I'm looking for a place to get some flip-top (grolsch) bottles since shipping is ridiculous to an APO for 2 cases. I live in Pyeongtaek and I'll be here for 2 more years. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
TKOriginal
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

APO to APO is free yeah? Check with some of the guys in Germany, swing tops are all over the place here. I bet if you cover the cost of a crate of beer and package they wouldn't mind drinking it and sending you the bottles! I'm out of the country for a few more months or i would help, ping me around OCT if you are still in the market. It would be about 25 slightly used bottles 1/2 L or 750ml for around 20 euros (about 1/2 of that is bottle redemption). That would save you 40 bucks over AHS.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Bryali
Recipes 

I didn't even think about that. Great idea. I'll get with some of our boys in Europe!

Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Redhat
Recipes 

If you're still looking for microbreweries in Seoul, I can recommend 2, both in close proximity to each other. The first is called Craftworks. It's near Noksapyeong Station on line 6, across the street from Yongsan Garrison in the Kyungidan neighborhood. Their moon bear IPA is great. The newest microbrewery is Magpie, and it's literally around the block from Craftworks, they opened up after I left Korea, but I've had beers made by the owner, and they're exceptional.

http://craftworkstaphouse.com/directions/

http://magpiebrewing.com/#1c8/custom_map

Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
johnfrankl
Recipes 

I have lived in Korea for 15 of the last 25 or so years. The two above are good. I would also check out Platinum in Apgujeong. To my tongue, it is alot closer to US microbreweries in taste.

Craftworks has a good selection, but they all differ more in color than taste or mouthfeel. That is to say they are all a bit thin and watery. Good burgers and single malts, though

Another happy new development is select bars now stocking some good West Coast brews. Look for Rogue, Lost Coast, and Anderson Valley among others.

Finally, since you are there, try to get your hands on some good local stuff as well. Makkolli and other rice brews are making quite a comeback.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
johnfrankl
Recipes 

Have you been to Platinum?

Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
mpride1911
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I just got back from Seoul and every place I went to sold, Lost Coast and Anderson valley beer. The same ones at every place. Even tap houses for other breweries carried them too, and included those beers in their sample flights.

I tried Craftworks a few times and I agree that there beers were all similar in mouthfeel. The pilsner was not at all what I expected and was so hazy I had a hard time distinguishing it from their weizen. But the service I received was the best in Seoul and the food was decent. Reilly's Taphouse was another story...

Doing evil things to evil people since 2003.
http://www.facebook.com/CounterinsurgencyBrewing
Primary: 1. Belgian Wit 2. Pale ale 3.

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Shabak chair NWPA; 2. Blonde; 3. Kiss Yer Cousin Rye 4. Oktoberfest lager; 5. EMPTY 6. EMPTY

Bottled: 1. Blonde ale 2. 1.125 OG experiment 3. Chechen Rebel blackberry blonde ale 4. Arrogant Modified

Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
jjangmes
Recipes 

Anyone still in Seoul brewing?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
Bryali
Recipes 

I stopped because I'm getting ready to leave and needed to exhaust my stock. I'll pick it back up when I get back to the States, of course.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS