Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #71
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Had a great night out, took girlfriend to Norah Jones Concert so drinking Yebisu through the park. After, we hoofed it across Chiyoda to Kanda and had a couple of pints at Devilcraft. SWMBO spent 2 blocks following about 10 feet behind me loudly calling "Sen En Massagey?" at me, through the crowded street.

Took a look at the Glassware store this morning in Kanda but it wasn't open, lots of cool stuff in there though. A little tip on finding the building, it has what appears to be a giant keg on top of it :-)

Coming back to the house I ducked in and grabbed one of those wire grids at the 100 yen shop. Its exactly what I need, it stores a hell of a lot easier than a bottle tree would. I don't know if its going to support many bottles though, seems a bit flimsy. I might need a few of them together to do it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #72
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds like a good time. I like the wire idea as well. You can always build a saw horse or something like that. That you can collapse and store when not being used.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #73
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

got my wort chiller made today. Turned out great! I am very happy with it. Looks good too. Now on to a brew so I can use the dang thing. Just a few more weeks until I get my brew kit...

Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #74
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpearce View Post
Well got my materials today from Advanced Brewing (AB) for my wort chiller. Now just have to bend it to specs. Will probably try that tomorrow. I was very impressed with AB service. Right on time delivery no issues at all. They sent me an invoice and a statement when it would arrive. Happy with the price too. Their kit has everything I need except the hose and fitting for the sink. Looking forward to having it for my first brew at the end of the month.
AB is usually quite good and fast. I'm disappointed only by his grain selection. It's large, but he seems to be always out of some types of grain (ones I would consider essential), like he gave up keeping them in stock. 25k bags of specialty grain are not that expensive. Our group split up some caramel ones earlier this year, only slightly more than base malt (5000 a bag). And considering specialty grain will keep far longer than base, I don't mind have 4-5 kilos of 15, 40, 60 on hand. 5 kilos of black patent is another thing.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #75
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I like the way AB packages everything. I wonder if their shop is as spotless as it seems.

AB takes a while, that's the only downside. The service is great, I think. If something is on back order, he'll often send the rest of the order ahead of time and often throw in a yeast packet or something to make up for it.

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #76
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just received my list of prices (mitsumorisho) for grains from Asahi Beer Malt today.

"Brewing Malt (Canada)" : 20kg@3700yen
"Brewing Malt (Germany)" : 20kg@3740yen
"Ale Malt" : 20kg@3860yen
Munich Malt : 20kg@4040yen
"Caramel Malt C150" : 25kg@5250yen
"Caramel Malt C70" : 25kg@5250yen
"Clean Roast Malt" : 20kg@6620yen
Wheat Malt : 25kg@5125yen

Milled versions are about 200 yen more.

Malt Extract is 16016 yen, including shipping.

Hops are Nugget, Cascade, Saaz and Hallertau. They range from 2300 yen to 3600 yen, and they come in 2 bags of 10kg, or 8 bags of 2.5kg which cost 100 yen more.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #77
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

FYI,

I got the list of products at Ohnishi, too. They don't seem to have a cool order form like Asahi, though. You'd need to contact a rep. Pretty easy, though. There's a little more of a variety, but they don't offer crushed grains for those of us that don't have a mill. Prices were similar. They seem to be a distributor for Weyermann Malting.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #78
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Regarding ABM's malts...

Munich Malt is fine, Clean Roast looks like Chocolate/Patent, Brewing Malt is US 2-Row and German 2-Row by the looks of it. But what is "Ale Malt"? Their website says it is produced in the UK, so would it be just "UK Pale Ale Malt" in general? I asked if they could name specific cultivars but they said they cannot reveal such details regarding their malts. But without any idea of what it consists of, I don't know which recipe to use. Bleh.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #79
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A friend described the ale malt as being Maris Otter-like.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #80
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

WhoZiT, that's good to know! Thanks

I think I'll order a bag of the ale malts, get me some fuggle, EKG or willamette and start making some SMaSHs...

Quick Reply