New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #61
mpearce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here is a copy of the latest Beer Education email here in Japan. I am going to try to go to a couple of these but don't know which yet:

As always, the Fall is a busy season for beer events. Please note the following upcoming upcoming events.

Starting tomorrow until Sunday night is Ant N Bee's 2nd Anniversary party, which will have a ton of one-off special/rare beers. I went to the first Anniversary last year and it was a blast. It seems some of the special beers were already put out tonight.
http://ameblo.jp/roppongi-beerbar-antnbee/

Wed November 14th is a Shibuya Double Whammy -

The Silver City (Washington state) Japan Release Party at Faucets from 5pm. http://www.silvercitybrewery.com/brewery_website/index.htm
There will be eight beers from Silver City on tap, https://www.facebook.com/events/440601289321153/

Also in Shibuya, Craft Heads is kicking off its Strong Beer Festival with 12 beers, both domestic and imported, over 8% ABV on tap https://www.facebook.com/events/358850757542870/?suggestsessionid=6016262141352294997

Seems like a great night for a Shibuya Crawl.

Mark your calenders now for December 9th when Hop Revolution takes place in Shibuya. Numerous brewers/CEO are attending from overseas (http://www.hoprevolution.com/breweriesE.html).
The venue can hold up to 500 people. The day will be split into two sessions, first during the day time there will be sampling and seminars on Craft Beer. In the evening a DJ will perform and it will be much more of a party atmosphere.
http://www.hoprevolution.com/aboutE.html

This looks like a really top notch event with some top notch brewers attending.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #62
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I went to Goodbeer Faucets the other night for the first time. Great beer on tap. Something like 40 craft beers on tap.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #63
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

PM me with your email address and I'll forward the order form. Looks like it's mainly fax and bank transfer.

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #64
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sakeland used to sell a bottle tree, but stock is unpredictable.

For me, I just went to the hardware store and bought one of those wooden racks that lay in front of shoe changing areas-I think they're called sunoko. It was 2-300 yen, very cheap. It's basically a few boards lined up with a nice big space between them, tacked together by some beams below that sit on the floor.

I cut out triangular notches in the boards along the open spaces between the boards, both sides of where a bottle would fit. I attached some legs with some scrap wood, and boom! Great drying rack.

I'll go take a pic this evening.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #65
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

surume Likes This 
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #66
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How much space does it take up? Looks good though. Interesting how living here brings out the McGyver in us all.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #67
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Space wasn't really an issue. I live in the countryside and have plenty of room. Cost was the biggest factor at the time.

I guess it would depend on how many bottles you needed. I made two, and each held 28 bottled I think. Didn't matter whether they were small, med, large, corona, whatever.

Also keep in mind that the plastic cases/carriers that the bottled come in have built-in drying racks. This worked for Asahi bottles. A case of 20 flipped over has perfect spots for 12 bottles, with the neck resting slightly above plastic parts below it, so no contact with sanitized areas of the bottles.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #68
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

A couple of things.

1. Asahi Malt. They do sell to individuals. I live 30 minutes from there and very convenient! However, if you are having it shipped, price per kilo is not any different than getting from Take****a-san at Ohnishi Shoji in Tokyo, and he has a much wider selection. His bags are usually 25k, while Asahi is 20k. With Asahi, you send a fax with your desired number of bags, they fax back a mitsumori, you send the money. If you need that info, perhaps I can get it posted somehow to the group.

2. Bottle drying. Like whozit, I use the crates, but I bought a SS wire grid the same size as crate at the 100 yen store. Bottle necks fit right in. Easily purchased and stored.

3. Kegs. Getting Corny kegs from CocaCola is very very hit or miss. I know of only one person managing to score some. Easier would be to get chummy with local beer distrubutor, and see if they have any of the old style chuu hai kegs, which are corny. New ones are sankey, but the old ones pop up on Yahoo on occasion.

4. Bottles. Green Heartland bottles are easiest to clean, they only have a neck label. Lately, Costco has been selling Kirkland "craft" beer. These 12oz babys clean up well after soaking.

Cheers from Kansai!

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #69
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

100 yen wire grid is a good idea! I think I even have some lying around.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #70
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Wort chiller

Well got my materials today from Advanced Brewing (AB) for my wort chiller. Now just have to bend it to specs. Will probably try that tomorrow. I was very impressed with AB service. Right on time delivery no issues at all. They sent me an invoice and a statement when it would arrive. Happy with the price too. Their kit has everything I need except the hose and fitting for the sink. Looking forward to having it for my first brew at the end of the month.

Quick Reply