Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #51
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The enthusiasm in this thread is awesome.

I hear that Corneys are used by both McDonald's and Coca-Cola. Know anyone? Although a little pricey, this site sells a tool to open Sankey-S kegs:

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~wyi/tarudume_.../tarudume.html

Heads, and permanent-jockey box style servers can be had for relatively cheaply on Yahoo Auctions.

There are food-grade water bottles available for free at Advanced Brewing. They are used Munton's extract containers, 21 liters each. Easily cleaned out with a water bath, followed by baking soda or Oxiclean. 550 yen shipping for 3 per package. I use them for Apfelwein, secondaries, and occasionally primaries. I have 6, with 6 more on the way.

Bottles are also available in small size, although they are harder to come by. Not sure if they are 333 or 350 ml. If you know someone at a liquor shop or bar that will give you the case/bottles for the deposit fee, it's a good deal. IMO, the Asahi bottles seem to be the strongest.

Kegging- Japanese line will work for barbed foreign connections. With a little heat (boil) and elbow grease (push like hell), they go right on. Personally, I don't own any corneys, but have done this for picnic taps, etc.

I recently found out from some friends that Asahi sells malted barley and wheat! The selection is slim, but the prices are great!

Kampai!

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #52
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Nice! This thread is really starting to pick up members in Japan! I will have to check out Yahoo Auctions I was wondering where I should start looking for corny kegs when I get to kegging.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #53
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just started a Japan Group. Please join!

With shipping as dirt cheap as it is here, being country-wide isn't really an issue!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #54
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/japan/

Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #55
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

there are actually a lot more of us out there than you'd think.

Let's keep our common goal alive...good beer.

mpearce Likes This 
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #56
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for making the group! I didn't realize there was that feature and had created a "club" as well. Maybe if enough people join the group we will have a reason for the club :-) I want to have multiple threads for Japan so it doesn't just turn to randomness, but dont really know the best way to keep them together so to speak. Will the group do that? Maybe post a new thread to specifically announce the group, that should help people connect.

BTW I should make it to Kanda tomorrow night for a pint at Devilcraft. Taking my girlfriend to a concert and we will be crashing at a hotel nearby. If anyone wants to come drink with us I should be easy to spot - a white guy with dreads. Concert starts at 7:30 so might only make it to the bar shortly before 11.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #57
yoshiie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoZiT View Post
I recently found out from some friends that Asahi sells malted barley and wheat! The selection is slim, but the prices are great!
You have my full attention...

A bit of google-fu brought me to their web page, but with no prices... have you contacted them before WhoZit? I'm almost out of base malt and their jouzouyou malt (which I imagine is a normal US style 2row) and might be interested in a bag if the price is right.

http://www.asahibeermalt.co.jp/product/malt-hop/

OppamBrendan, I work (most days) around a 15min walk from Devilcraft, and I think I may have seen you there before? unfortunately tomorrow I have to work across town and have a late night date with a double IPA that needs brewing!

mpearce, great! I'll send you an email tomorrow

Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #58
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I assume they will only sell to other businesses (will have to check)
Technically we should also be able to start a company to buy from them, order in bulk, and "resell" to ourselves for zero profit (only expenses).
It is a shame since they have malt extracts and a fair selection of malts.

However, I do think that buying from advanced brewing and the like is better, because although bypassing domestic grain/homebrew suppliers will be cheaper for us, it doesn't help the japanese homebrewing community as a whole. Sakeland has great deals on bulk orders of grain, and since we have a good number of homebrewers in the kanto region, buying bulk together and splitting it up is IMO the best way.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #59
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There's an order form. I only have my cell phone on me now. I believe it was 4500 for 20-25 kg for base malt. A little bit more for wheat, and still a bit more for roast or their 2 varieties of crystal. I believe shipping is about 1000 yen per.

I can't take all the credit for this find. I was really happy when I found it and just wanted to spread the word. Personally I haven't ordered from them yet, but apparently it's pretty easy. I plan on getting base malt and wheat at the end of this month. I can't imagine buying 20kg of crystal 80 or roast, so my specialties still continue from AB.

As far as the group goes, I always wondered about it and just gave it a shot. I'm guessing anyone subscribed to the group will get notifications and such whenever somebody posts there. Might be a good place to organize group buys, too.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #60
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thank You! I am going to need to order base malt after my next brew so the timing couldn't be better!

Quick Reply