Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #41
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

monotaro looks awesome, all sorts of hardware! Great for us since a lot of brewing gear will be self-constructed. They even have stainless tri-clamps!

toseiyoki looks great too! It looks like you have to order the lids and seals as separate parts for those vials.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #42
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
I haven't ordered from them, I have heard that he might have had a bit of trouble back in August but lately I have been a bit out of touch with the "offline" homebrewers. Maybe shoot a question into the "Japan Beer Times" forum if you still cant get ahold of him. That forum is manned by people who know the owner of Advanced personally and they might be able to let you know whats up.

Wort (immersion) chillers are easy to make, I recommend making one over buying one every time! However the first thing you should note is the length of any chiller if you buy it, the surface area and the speed which it chills depends on it. Its super easy, go buy a coil of small diameter copper pipe, (I got 10 meters it seems that is standard package size). Once you have the pipe in hand at the hardware store, go to the section where they sell tubing and attachments for garden hoses to faucets. Get enough tubing to run from your faucet to your pot, and another section from the pot to the drain. You will need 2-3 hose clamps to make sure the tubes stay on the copper pipe. Slowly bend the copper pipe into a coil leaving enough on the ends to go up and "gooseneck" over the top of the pot. You want the hoses attached a little distance from the pot and DEFINITELY on the outside of the pot! This prevents accidents, leaking cooling water into wort could contaminate it... Lots of tutorials on this site though, check em out

Another note if you are using a chiller for the first time, turn the water on SLOW, full blast through a small diameter hose will likely blow it off the pipe and you will have water get all up in the wort. I flared the ends of mine a bit so the copper hold the hoses a bit tighter. Yes I made that mistake one time
Thanks for the great info. I will for sure do as you suggest. I actually ordered the immersion kit that Advanced Brewer sells for 6,000 yen. I went to the home center today to see if they had copper tubing but couldn't find it. I figure 6,000 for 10 meters and some of the other things they include is a fair price. Probably couldn't get it that cheap actually. Good point on the open the water slow, I have had the hose pop outside several times and would hate for that to happen on my wort. How did you flare your ends? I like that idea.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #43
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yeah 6000 yen is alright, it comes with hoses to attach to the faucet right? Saves some time, I think the tubing I bought alone was more than 4000 yen so at most you might save a few hundred yen doing it yourself. I flare the ends a little bit by putting a pair of needle nose pliers in and twisting it around several times. You need to go with light pressure so you don't crack the tube. If you put too much flare on it, it will be difficult to get the hose back on. Softening the hose with hot water then stretching it a bit with the pliers should allow you to do that.

Quick question, which tubing do you guys recommend? I generally see 4 kinds at the Japanese hardware stores; clear vinyl, translucent pink vinyl, braided vinyl (clear), and stretchy rubber. The braided is the strongest and can take some pressure from water or air (not sure the psi rating), but the ends have exposed frayed braiding that I feel is a contamination risk so I only use it for the inlet of my chiller. The clear vinyl kinks easily but is the cheapest, and the rubber (silicone?) is very expensive but durable looking. I don't know if the pink is OK to use but I use it, will dyes leach into the beer?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #44
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The pink tubes, if I remember correctly, are for alcohols(not specifically ethanol, but "alcohols" as a chemistry term). Dunno exactly where they are used, maybe lawnmowers and the such? They are durable I suppose, but too little elasticity isn't good when you're trying to slip on copper tubing.

The clear vinyl is cheap, but you can't boil them to disinfect, and they supposedly degrade faster. Of course, they are cheap enough that you can replace them occasionally. I like them personally, they are the second best choice in my opinion.

The semi-transparent tubes are silicon. They are more expensive but they are durable and is chemically stable enough that you can boil them, put them in bleach and whatever. In my opinion, they have just about the right elasticity to use with metal tubes. Note that they are good at collecting dust, so keep them in covered when you're not going to be using it for a long time, or make sure you give it a good wash.

Yellow tubing is natural rubber and is out of question.

Dunno about the braided ones. Gardening use probably, I wouldn't bother with them.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #45
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks, good to know about the pink tubing. I prefer it because it is less prone to kink and can take more pressure. I will someday want to keg and I will need to source pressure rated tubing at that time. None of these options are adequate although I wouldnt be surprised if the braided hose worked well for airlines.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #46
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It seems that the clear ones with braiding is food-grade material and can be used under pressure... so if you're going to keg, it might be an option.

http://www.sanyokasei.co.jp/product/hose/hose022-2.html

Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #47
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 53

What tubing you get will depend on what you will use it for. Running water to the chiller - garden hoses work fine (when I brew indoors, I find the washing machine quick release easy to tap into). Silicon tubing for hot wort is best, and will take some pressure as well if you get a pump. Some of the braided hose is food grade and will take higher temp and pressure too. I use some of that to connect brew pot to pump. Vinyl tubing is fine for transferring wort from fermentor to bottling or kegs. Different tubes for different jobs.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #48
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yum yum. Gueuze. Cheeze/Leather on the nose and ripe lemons or grapefruit in flavour.

I wonder if there are any lambics made in Japan, commercial or homebrew.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #49
yoshiie
Recipes 

Great thread! I heard about this thread from a facebook post on freezing yeast. I've been homebrewing in Japan, (Kashiwa in Chiba prefecture) for a few years now. Another great place for cheap supplies is Yahoo Auctions- that's where I was able to source my mashtun (cooler), a glass carboy, pumps, even some corney kegs and just started kegging with a chest-freezer/ 2tap set up last week.

@mpearce you live in Noda, which is practically in my back yard! we should meet up at a bar in Kashiwa sometime and talk shop!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #50
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiie View Post
Great thread! I heard about this thread from a facebook post on freezing yeast. I've been homebrewing in Japan, (Kashiwa in Chiba prefecture) for a few years now. Another great place for cheap supplies is Yahoo Auctions- that's where I was able to source my mashtun (cooler), a glass carboy, pumps, even some corney kegs and just started kegging with a chest-freezer/ 2tap set up last week.

@mpearce you live in Noda, which is practically in my back yard! we should meet up at a bar in Kashiwa sometime and talk shop!
Wow, awesome! Would love to hook up with you for a chat and a beer. Let me know when you would have some time and we can arrange something. Feel free to email me at mpearce@me.com

Quick Reply