Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #481
Fencdar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 24

A dozen? There were probably 25 at the one I went to. I almost cried I was so happy and surprised.

Fermenting: Black Belgian IPA

On Deck: White IPA, Berliner Weisse, Dessert Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #482
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry. I meant a dozen or so craft beer companies. There is usually two or three offerings from each company. Some are pretty poor though to be honest... I'm always sad when I buy something that I can make better at home
Even though I live in a pretty rural area for Japan we have quite a few craft beer breweries in this area. Baird, Kaze no tani, Izu Kogen, Gotemba Kogen, Fuji Sakura, etc are all within a short drive from my house. In fact, I'm off for a surf now and I'll pass three of those places along the way!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #483
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Have you seen the recent posts from Baird's new brewery build? It is going along nicely from the looks of things! Someday we should all meet up there if we can manage to get a tour

Old 12-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #484
Fencdar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Have you seen the recent posts from Baird's new brewery build? It is going along nicely from the looks of things! Someday we should all meet up there if we can manage to get a tour
I'd love to take a look around there. I've heard they're growing hops and doing all kinds of beer-related stuff, so I'm sure it would be really interesting.

I finally got the materials together to do my next brew today! It's a 1.068 OG Irish Red, and thanks to everyone's advice, I managed to hit my OG dead on! Definitely psyched!

Even bigger news, though, is that the head of my company's "Business Expansion Division" drank some of my homebrew at a party, and after discussing it for a while, decided we might get into the microbrewing business. In other words, he wants to fund me to go pro, after just 3 months homebrewing! We'll see how that works out, or rather doesn't.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #485
Guzzibrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Fencdar,

I'd love to get to the Baird Brewery, but it's a bit of a hike from Kyushu.

I too brewed for (50L of draft) for my University's year end party. The apple cider went really fast as did the Citra SMaSH, the Northern Brewer SMaSH was
less popular. It tasted a bit oxidized- hard to say why- as I used the same method to transfer them to the keg- I asked the bar to keep three kegs back to use- I didn't want to take bottles and they didn't want to use my corny keg hoses.

That is great news that they may back you in making beer. I think that would be my dream job- just enough manual work to keep me in shape and
enough mental stimulus to keep me sane.

GB

P.S. Happy Brew Year everyone!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #486
brewingpowder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys,
Newboy on the forums who has been extract and partial mash brewing in Japan for a while (on the down low). Am very excited to stumble across this incredible thread with so much info sharing!
I'm excited to step up to All grain, but have been stopped at the first hurdle - ordering from AsahiBeerMalt. Are they OK to deliver to domestic addresses? On the inquiry form it asks for company and boss' name! Can you just call them and put the order through (or fax them)? Looking to get my first 20kg of English Ale Malt (crushed) and more than halve my brewing costs...
All help appreciated if any of you has had success ordering from them before!

Old 01-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #487
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Welcome to the thread and forum!
Me and Surume split a bag of English ale malt in the spring. He ordered it so I am not sure what difficulties he had if any.
I believe he ordered to a domestic address.
Heads up that the crushed malt we received was quite finely crushed, lots of powder. It will be good for efficiency but you may have more difficulty with a thick mash, good to be prepared for that.
Cheers!
B

Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #488
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingpowder View Post
Hey guys,
Newboy on the forums who has been extract and partial mash brewing in Japan for a while (on the down low). Am very excited to stumble across this incredible thread with so much info sharing!
I'm excited to step up to All grain, but have been stopped at the first hurdle - ordering from AsahiBeerMalt. Are they OK to deliver to domestic addresses? On the inquiry form it asks for company and boss' name! Can you just call them and put the order through (or fax them)? Looking to get my first 20kg of English Ale Malt (crushed) and more than halve my brewing costs...
All help appreciated if any of you has had success ordering from them before!
It should be fine. They have a different price structure if you are a licensed brewery so they ask for information about your company.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 AM   #489
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Welcome to the thread and forum!
Me and Surume split a bag of English ale malt in the spring. He ordered it so I am not sure what difficulties he had if any.
I believe he ordered to a domestic address.
Heads up that the crushed malt we received was quite finely crushed, lots of powder. It will be good for efficiency but you may have more difficulty with a thick mash, good to be prepared for that.
Cheers!
B
If it's pretty fine, then pick up some rice hull (nuka) and throw some in as well.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #490
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Tektonjp, where do you get rice hulls from? I have seen them listed on AB but always listed as sole-out. Have you got another source? I would have thought they would be easier to get in Japan.

Quick Reply