New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #411
Fencdar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan
BTW, its not something everyone agrees on but my go-to grain bag is a couple of laundry bags from Daiso.
Just got my tripel in the fermenter. Thanks for the awesome advice, Brendan! The laundry bag worked great!

Fermenting: , Small Beers, Baltic Porter, Dubbel

On Deck: Monk's Twins (Abbey Dubbel), Belgian Pale Ale, White IPA, Berliner Weisse
Drifting79 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #412
EOD_supraguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any home brewers located in Misawa? I'm looking to get a small home brew club together. Share brews, ideas, and have some small brewing events. I'm here for another three years.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #413
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 27

EOD You are the first that I know of to post from as far north as Misawa! I had to look up where that was, and then of course I had to check the climate. Lucky you! You just need a heat pad and you are set all year!
Hope you find some people to brew with up there even if it means converting people to homebrewing first

Fencdar a tripel? Wow, that must have been pretty heavy to bag out!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #414
Fencdar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Fencdar a tripel? Wow, that must have been pretty heavy to bag out!
It was a small batch (<12L), so no serious issues. The mash was amazingly thick, though. My OG was 1.083, shooting for 1.088- not bad for a first-timer, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD_supraguy
Any home brewers located in Misawa? I'm looking to get a small home brew club together. Share brews, ideas, and have some small brewing events. I'm here for another three years.
I'm in Tokyo, but hoping to get up to Misawa soon for business (I is a vendar!). Maybe we can meet up for a beer then!

Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #415
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencdar View Post
It was a small batch (<12L), so no serious issues. The mash was amazingly thick, though. My OG was 1.083, shooting for 1.088- not bad for a first-timer, I hope.
Thats one of the other things about BIAB that I like, efficiency is usually pretty good. If you could dunk it into another pot with hot water you could probably get a small beer out of a "second sparge", although i dont know what style you would call it.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #416
Fastforwardx2
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default New to brewing

Hello guys,

I am new to brewing and glad to see all of this useful information about brewing in Japan. I am located in Iwakuni which is about an hour or less south of Hiroshima. I am just introducing myself to the thread and seeing if there are any other home brewers in the area.

A little about myself is last year for Christmas my in-laws got me a Mr. Beer Kit with 3 standard recipe kits. First one I brewed was the Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner which my buddies and I agreed it was pretty good. I did not have much luck with my 2nd brew attempt ( Aztec Mexican Cervesa ) was horrible which I think was contaminated; it was bad enough that I poured it down the drain. The third recipe kit was the St. Patrick's Irish Stout which I still haven't made. I did buy 3 additional recipe kits: White IPA - 2013 Spring Seasonal which is in the fermentor and will be bottling it tomorrow or the next day, Beach Babe Blonde which I have not made yet, and finally is the Raspberry Wheat which has been bottled for two weeks now. I have been doing a lot of research and have decided to upgrade to a 5 gallon batch kit with a couple recipe kits ; which I got from Midwest Supplies online. I am lucky that I can ship through the USPS since I am in the Military which is still expensive but not as expensive as getting it shipped other ways.

Sorry for the long post but I have one more question. I was wanting to try and brew some lagers and was wondering if any one had any good ways to keep the fermentation temps low enough for the lager yeast?

Thanks for any help and all the info on this thread.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #417
Drifting79
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you can get cheap postage then you're laughing
More beer in the states would be he way to go for a lot of your stuff
As far as lagers go a fermentation fridge is the way to go

Look up stc-1000 on here and ebay!

Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #418
EOD_supraguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencdar View Post
I'm in Tokyo, but hoping to get up to Misawa soon for business (I is a vendar!). Maybe we can meet up for a beer then!
PM me when you're thinking about coming to the area. I'll let you know what I have bottled. I have a brown ale and a pumpkin beer almost ready to go!

Old 11-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #419
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Welcome to the thread!
The Okinawa brewing enthusiasts are the ones closest to you I think, and many are military as well as far as I know. They have a group on FaceBook I think you can message them there to get added if you are on FB as well.

I don't know how cool it gets there but right now it is perfect lager brewing temp in kanagawa! A freezer with an stc 1000 is probably the way to go, I have an stc but no freezer yet and looking forward to that.
Cheers!
B

Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #420
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastforwardx2 View Post
Hello guys,

I am new to brewing and glad to see all of this useful information about brewing in Japan. I am located in Iwakuni which is about an hour or less south of Hiroshima. I am just introducing myself to the thread and seeing if there are any other home brewers in the area.

A little about myself is last year for Christmas my in-laws got me a Mr. Beer Kit with 3 standard recipe kits.

Sorry for the long post but I have one more question. I was wanting to try and brew some lagers and was wondering if any one had any good ways to keep the fermentation temps low enough for the lager yeast?

Thanks for any help and all the info on this thread.
Mr. Beer is how many start. You can get a drinkable beer but once you go into extract kits you will make very good beer that others will beg for from you. MoreBeer is the best place for getting things shipped here. They are priced well and quick.

As for your Lager, if you are down south then you will need some kind of temp control right now. I would recommend that you wait until later in the winter then all you need is to keep the beer warm. Right now even in Tokyo we need a way to keep the beer cold enough. Without a freezer or refridgerator you won't be able to keep it cold enough and consistant.

Quick Reply