Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #401
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Update to the list of sanitizers and cleaners listed at the start of this thread:
***UPDATE*** Bleach is packaged color coded in kitchen and laundry variations for Japan. The kitchen version is in a green bottle with a pink cap, laundry type in a blue bottle with dark blue cap. I had always overlooked the blue capped bottle assuming it was ammonia or some other chemical not to be confused with bleach The label on the green (kitchen) bleach lists ingredients as: 次亜塩素酸ナトリウム 塩素系,
アルキルアミンオキシド, 水酸化ナトリウム・ アルカリ性 (Sodium hypochlorite chlorine, Alkyl amine oxide, Sodium hydroxide) and the blue bottle lists ingredients as: 次亜塩素酸ナトリウム 塩素系,水酸化ナトリウム アルカリ性
The difference seems to be Alkyl amine oxide which wikipedia lists as a surfactant. I have been using this pink capped bottle in my no-rinse sanitizer solution and never suspected this might be causing head retention issues.

I have had head retention issues that I have not understood the source of. No taste of infection, using specialty grains to improve head retention, and carbonating properly yet my beers seemed to be fairly poor on visual presentation. I think this was possibly the cause for me, but will have to start a new beer to see if there is a difference. Im going to switch to the blue capped bleach from now on anyway, it still has the active ingredients needed.
Cheers!
B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #402
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I was just cruising back through the beginning of this thread and Oppama mentioned the large amounts of cornie kegs here in Japan. I find it to be the opposite. Please tell me where to look because I could use some more.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 10-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #403
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Haha, sorry I suppose coming from Canada it seemed like a lot. I was seeing quite a few stacked outside restaurants at times when I wrote that though. I don't really think they are being used for beer so perhaps soda companies are still using them? I never looked into it. If you have a safe way to use/open/reseal a commercial beer keg valve of any type, it seems easier to get your hands on other keg styles here.
**Edit** Looks like I was wrong, there are cornelius style bodies but most have regular commercial valves.

Auction sites sometimes sell kegs, although I don't know how legal it is to re-purpose for your own use or to even sell them like that. (http://auction.item.rakuten.co.jp/11...ews=c2c_shop_1)
I have seen occasionally breweries posting on beer sites that they are liquidating older kegs, and looking for buyers. Usually they are looking for bulk purchasers though. AB still sells corny kegs (or at least they arent listed as sold out) on this page: http://advanced-brewing.com/0_keg.html
Personally I would probably go with a commercial keg from one of the big 3. Yeah its probably not legit but Kirin et al have keg stables on a massive scale, and distribute very convenient sized kegs between 5L and full size. Deposit is cheap and if you dont damage it in anyway and return it after use it is an ethical grey zone. I haven't done this, its just a hypothetical. I have 2 couplers and a tap and would love to keg someday but other things come first...

Bottling my APA today. A few days overdue, but better late than never!

Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #404
Fencdar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Hey all, I'm just getting into homebrewing- started my first batch ever with a friend yesterday, and got bleach on my only pair of jeans.

I don't know if you all know, but apparently Brewland is now listing their items on amazon.co.jp! (I discovered this by accident searching for cheaper sanitizer.) Now you can use those stupid amazon gift cards on brewing gear! For some reason, while most items are the same price as on their site, a few are slightly higher. Ex: the bottle filler is 730 on their site, 780 on amazon. Also, hops are listed under Pet Supplies > Bird treats ??

Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #405
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thinking about my first brew since the summer. Not sure what to go for this time… Suggestions?

Btw, the biwa wheat ale was awesome!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #406
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Welcome and congrats on your first brew! Thanks for pointing out the Amazon bit as well, I thought that was them that occasionally showed up on searches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencdar View Post
For some reason, while most items are the same price as on their site, a few are slightly higher. Ex: the bottle filler is 730 on their site, 780 on amazon. Also, hops are listed under Pet Supplies > Bird treats ??
I think with Amazon and Rakuten and similar sites you find they take a cut for the hosting of the products. I usually switch between amazon or rakuten for other shopping and try to find the cheapest, sometimes there is free shipping on one or the other that saves me 700 yen or so. I am glad they dont list the hops as dog treats, that can make them sick!

SB, I have ran into 3 people total who have picked a rye american pale ale for their first autumn beer. Complete coincidence, weird! Did you decide on something now? Great to hear the biwa turned out! My biwa and ume wine is really getting much better, I drank a bottle during late September and the acid is coming down a lot. I think I will let the other bottles sit until winter is over, perhaps enjoy them in the spring.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #407
Fencdar

Recipes 

Tomizawa Shoten
image-1039490628.jpg

This place carries lots of flours and sugars and other materials! I picked up some beet sugar for my upcoming tripel. Probably a Tokyo-only brand though...

Fermenting: Black Belgian IPA

On Deck: White IPA, Berliner Weisse, Dessert Stout
OppamaBrendan Likes This 
Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #408
Fencdar

Recipes 

While looking in vain for something I could use to make a Grain Bag, I noticed this pump. It's apparently made to siphon kerosene for heaters, but I wonder if it would work for wort too. Has anyone tried?

image-1498501561.jpg  

Fermenting: Black Belgian IPA

On Deck: White IPA, Berliner Weisse, Dessert Stout

Old 11-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #409
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have seen these but never tried one for kerosene or wort. How much are they?
First thing to check is if it can be effectively cleaned and sanitized, if so, then is it food grade? If it passes those questions, then will it handle hot liquids up to 100C? Can it run for a fairly long time continuously? Lastly, the cost should be worthwhile.

If you buy a pump, you might as well be looking for something to also use to recirculate and transfer hot liquids, which can increase your brew-house safety and efficiency. Watching my friend mash in with his pump running hot water through his mash tun to preheat to the perfect temp compared to my hand transferring of scalding water really sealed the deal for me. After the mash he recirculated to vorlouf, and pumped the runoff into his brewkettle without moving anything except some hose connections.

If you are looking for a pump, there are cheap 12 volt pumps called "solar pumps" you can buy online that are food grade and rated for over 100 C temps. I just ordered one myself, from a store on aliexpress it will be about 1700 yen including shipping. I have a DC adapter to power the pump already otherwise it would be a bit more.

If you are looking just to transfer cooled liquids, then an autosiphon is just as good in my opinion. I haven't seen them for sale in Japan yet, but are easy to find online.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #410
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

BTW, its not something everyone agrees on but my go-to grain bag is a couple of laundry bags from Daiso. They list the ingredients on them so you can check that it is made of plastic that is safe up to 130 C or more. They are as food grade as any other I am guessing, but wash them in hot or boiling water before first use.
I like them because they have many sizes, and the lingerie type has a fine mesh that holds crushed grain pretty good. They have zippers, made of plastic that can withstand boiling temps, so I just zipper it closed and let the bag float free in a BIAB mash. They are cheap, so if you want to you can just drain and throw the whole thing out, easy cleanup. (I have a compost so I do that instead).
They are not really huge, so I will use a few of them in a BIAB instead of one. It is easier to lift out smaller bags of saturated grain than one huge one anyway.

Quick Reply