Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #381
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I bought these (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-10k-OHM-NTC-Thermistor-Resistor-NTC-MF52AT-10K-5-3950-1/578460062.html) and am waiting for them to ship. I should be able to get my temp controller working with one of these thermistors as the temp probe. I will probably order a chest freezer soon, they can be had for less than 20000 yen. I don't know if it will be in use as a fermenter before the end of summer but its worth trying for now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #382
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Let me know where you find a good chest freezer. I am looking to get one maybe next month.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #383
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I am going to only start shopping once I have the stc 1000 running. So you might be getting yours before me. The probe parts I bought are shipping China Post so it could be 3 weeks before they even arrive. Anyway, I did a search a while back on Rakuten and theres a ton of appliances on there for cheap.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #384
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan
I am going to only start shopping once I have the stc 1000 running. So you might be getting yours before me. The probe parts I bought are shipping China Post so it could be 3 weeks before they even arrive. Anyway, I did a search a while back on Rakuten and theres a ton of appliances on there for cheap.
Yeah it took about three weeks when I ordered mine. Pretty easy build though. The hardest part was the box.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #385
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hey guys, I am wiring my STC 1000 today and all the diagrams I see are mentioning live/neutral wires. I have a 2 part question. First, are the Japanese 2 prong wall outlets wired with hot/live slot on the right and neutral on the left like NA outlets? Secondly, if there is a chance that the unit is plugged into the main in reverse (Japanese electrical plugs have no large/small slot to prevent this), will the unit be damaged?

For reference, my STC unit has the following diagram on it;
1 - Power supply 110VAC 50.60Hz
2 - Power supply 110VAC 50.60Hz

3 - Sensor
4 - Sensor

5 - Heating
6 - Heating

7 - Cooling
8 - Cooling

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #386
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Hey guys, I am wiring my STC 1000 today and all the diagrams I see are mentioning live/neutral wires. I have a 2 part question. First, are the Japanese 2 prong wall outlets wired with hot/live slot on the right and neutral on the left like NA outlets? Secondly, if there is a chance that the unit is plugged into the main in reverse (Japanese electrical plugs have no large/small slot to prevent this), will the unit be damaged?

For reference, my STC unit has the following diagram on it;
1 - Power supply 110VAC 50.60Hz
2 - Power supply 110VAC 50.60Hz

3 - Sensor
4 - Sensor

5 - Heating
6 - Heating

7 - Cooling
8 - Cooling

Thanks!
Because there is no larger prong there is no right or wrong. Meaning you could turn the plug either way and it will work. What you are doing is completing a circuit. So as long as you stay consistent with the hot and non-hot you will be fine. It won't damage the system at all. Just think that one side of the plug brings power in and the other lets it out. Keep everything consistent to that and you are good. Follow the colors of your plug going in and stay the same throughout.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #387
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I assumed that was the case and had later found some info indicating Japanese outlets were identical to US versions aside from the small voltage difference. I went ahead and wired it up and had the sensor working quite well. It was keeping within 0.5 degree C of my Tanita digital thermometer, and the controller switched a fan off and on during my test. I might throw a new thread on HBT to confirm the thermistor works to build new sensors for dirt cheap. For now, if anyone needs the reference, here are the specs of the thermistor to use with a STC-1000 temp controller.

10k OHM NTC Thermistor Resistor NTC-MF52AT 10K +-5% 3950 +-1%
- A friend advised using shielded cable for the sensor wire, however I just used some random wire I had laying around and it worked fine (1 meter only, longer sensor cables probably would benefit from the shielding to reduce signal noise)
- I just soldered the wire to the leads on the thermistor, using a metal clip to hold the lead between the tip of the thermistor and the hot area to help prevent the tip from getting too hot.
- The thermistor was very cheaply purchased from China; about 200 yen for a pack of 10. The same seller is using Aliexpress and Ebay, however there are many sellers for these parts. I chose my seller because they displayed more details and had free shipping internationally (which took 3 weeks to arrive). No customs fees incurred.

Cheers!
B

Old 08-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #388
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quick note: here is a jockey box build using a Japanese server for the parts - http://www.geocities.jp/skywave650_secvt/svr2.html

Cheers!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #389
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Quick note: here is a jockey box build using a Japanese server for the parts - http://www.geocities.jp/skywave650_secvt/svr2.html

Cheers!
Cool thanks. I might have to give this a try.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #390
lordCONAN
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just came across this forum/thread.

Been homebrewing in Japan for the last few years, mostly basic stuff, but looking to step it up to the next level. Hopefully some of you guys in the thread o in the group can help!

Unfortunately I live all the way down in Hiroshima, so I doubt I'll get a chance to hit up any of the meet-ups.

Quick Reply