Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #371
ShizuokaBrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds great! I'm going to be brewing 12L of wheat beer this weekend and will hopefully be able to rack it onto the biwa in about ten days. We are certainly getting into the swamp cooler days around here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #372
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Also, do any of you Japan based guys have any good ideas on where to get 1-3 gallon glass jugs? I'm thinking of making some mead during the summer because it can ferment at higher temps than beer. I'm looking for something that I can use for conditioning. Cheers!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #373
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The biggest glass umeshu jars I have seen are 8 liters. I have a few 5 L ones. I bought one and the rest I found at the "large trash pile" one day last summer - I think a few people throw them out after ume ferment so keep your eyes peeled and you might score few like I did!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #374
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Does it have to be glass?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #375
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

It doesn't have to be glass but I don't feel the love when using plastic.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #376
BlackFalls
Recipes 

I registered a while back and I suppose that this would be the best place to introduce myself. I'm a JET living in southern Nara prefecture in a small village.

I've been home brewing since around October and have making batches pretty regularly since then. Right now I am doing partial grain and I've been having mostly good luck with that and learning from my mistakes and what have you. I was lucky enough to manage to procure a 6 gallon glass carboy and some soda kegs from a micro brewery in Osaka, although I'm still trying to get a keg set up going (hopefully I can get my dad to ship some stuff over for me). I'm hoping to get an all grain set-up put together by the end of the month and start brewing all grain after I get back from Germany in August.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #377
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Welcome to "the thread"! Good on you for putting so much into it, are you hoping to stay on in Japan after your JET program? Just a heads up to check fittings if you are having stuff sent over. CO2 Gas cylinders can have different standards from different countries.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #378
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Hey Brendan, how's the biwa beer going? I've been taking my time with it because I don't have any bottles at the moment (d'oh!). Probably going to rack onto the fruit today. This will be my last brew until the fall. I've got a massive back log of beer I need to get through anyway. Think I've got about 100 full bottles of goodness!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #379
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Brad, I gave up on my beer plan and decided to try it out as a wine instead. I stupidly decided to add a bunch of ume too, so it is pretty much too sour to drink. However at 14% abv it should be fine to age for a while and mellow. Perhaps I can blend it with another wine down the road, or just use it for coolers in August.

Keep an eye on the fruit, my biwa floated to the top form the must. I forgot to punch it down on a daily basis and came back from a short trip to Hakone to find some mold on the top of the biwa must. At that point the majority of the fermentation was already done so I carefully racked the wine to a clean fermenter (then bleached my gear for 2 days).

100 bottles, sounds like you need some help
I dont know my bottle count, most are under the floor keeping cool.
Im out until fall unless I get temp control too. Summer really presses the case for kegging and keezering.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #380
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Wine, eh? That sounds interesting. I'm debating doing a mead but I think I've left it too late now. Might have to try one at the end of September when the temps go down a bit. Hopefully I'll have everything bottled up by mid-week next week. My wife is looking forward to me putting everything away!

Quick Reply