Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #341
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think I might try the smaller boil for my next brewday too. Perhaps 5 liters of sterilized water that I can cool in the fridge ahead of time. I am just playing around in the volume needed tool in Beersmith and noticed another benefit; the cooling loss for a 19L batch would be reduced by 250 ml on my equipment just by using 5 L of top up water. That should make up for a bit of the lost efficiency.

I am looking for the math to figure out how much of a chilling effect it would have. During the summer when my tapwater is 25 C that could be the biggest time consuming part of my brewday! I don't have a pre-chiller, so I would like to try cooling the wort down with the regular immersion chiller first, then when it hits the right temp (trying to figure out what that is right now) I could toss the chilled top up water in and drop it to the pitching temp.

Just goes to show limitations breed innovation or something haha!
Have a good one!
B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #342
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Front Page HBT right now is a NYC HERMS system built out of coolers and designed to take up as little space as possible when not being used. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/apartment-brewery-410238/
The little cooler contains 1500 W element and stores inside the big one!
Not sure if the guy is using the little cooler to get strike water heated or what, keeping an eye on that thread!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #343
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan
Front Page HBT right now is a NYC HERMS system built out of coolers and designed to take up as little space as possible when not being used. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/apartment-brewery-410238/
The little cooler contains 1500 W element and stores inside the big one!
Not sure if the guy is using the little cooler to get strike water heated or what, keeping an eye on that thread!
That is a nice setup. He doesn't show the build though. Would love to know all the parts and build.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #344
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surume
Headed down to Bashamichi Taproom last Sunday afternoon with 5 of my colleagues to have a beer. They have Shimaguni Stout (a smoked beer) as a regular but they currently have another smoked beer for the season so if you're into smoked beers then I'd recommend it. I haven't had it yet, I had the Shimaguni Stout which was a little weak in smokiness... the guy at the taproom says the seasonal one is more smoky.

I (we) then went down to Craft Beer Bar. The Shiga Kougen double IPA is really good! Nice fruity (nectarines/peach) aroma... a must have
Next time you or anyone else is near Craft Beer Market let me know. My office is a 15 minute walk from there.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #345
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Craft Beer Market? The one in Toranomon or Jimbocho?

I work near Tsurumi so it is pretty far from my workplace

Old 05-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #346
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surume
Craft Beer Market? The one in Toranomon or Jimbocho?

I work near Tsurumi so it is pretty far from my workplace
Toranomon. Too bad it is a great craft beer place.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #347
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I am trying my new refractometer out for the first time today. Just making a starter from bottle conditioned yeast and bumping up the volume a couple times over the day. This is great! I am mixing 50 ml of boiled water and DME in the microwave and I can check the gravity with just a couple drops and it only takes a few seconds! Got it on Amazon.jp instead of the Hong Kong Ebay seller but it comes with English and Japanese instructions on calibration and cleaning. For those short on time I think this is worth the expense!

Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #348
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Instant fermentation chamber: the deep bathtub half filled with water. I am keeping the roll-up-cover over the whole bath as well, it creates a second space filled with CO2 purged from the airlock. Slow and steady for 5 days now. I can rack to 2ndary on the 7th day when I have time off.

Anyone else start insulating from the summer heat yet?
Cheers!
B

Old 05-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #349
Namako
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
Instant fermentation chamber: the deep bathtub half filled with water. I am keeping the roll-up-cover over the whole bath as well, it creates a second space filled with CO2 purged from the airlock. Slow and steady for 5 days now. I can rack to 2ndary on the 7th day when I have time off.

Cheers!
B
Go get yourself an old refrigerator (often for the "price" of just hauling it away) and a Dual-Stage Temperature Controller (Control Products TC-9102D-HV on eBay [see below] or Ranco for about twice the price). Wrap your carboy up in a heating blanket (or FermWrap), plug that into the heating side of the temp controller. Plug the refrigerator into the cooling side of the temp controller, plug the temp controller into the wall and then set your desired fermentation temperature. Your fermentation temperature won't vary by more than a degree either way of ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

No need to worry about the weather ever again - you can confidently ferment a German lager in the middle of July in Tokyo!!

http://www.amazon.com/Control-Products-TC-9102D-HV-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0057APR3I

Namako

Indecision... may or may not be my problem... I'm not sure

Primary 1 - Koelsch
Primary 2 - Maerzen
Kegged: Maibock
Planned: Kellerbier/Zwickle
Coming Soon: An upgraded Blichmann 20-gallon, Kal-inspired, BCS-controlled, RIMS pico-brewery (by mid-Summer 2013, after the NHC, I swear!!)

Old 05-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #350
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan

Cheers!
B
Did that last night. I also put a insulating foam plastic sheet on top of the water to help retain the cool. Seems to work well.

Quick Reply