Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #331
12ozrebel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Heading to Shinjuku later and was wondering
if there are any Craft brew watering holes
in that area.
R/ 12oz

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #332
spiral
Recipes 

http://wateringhole.jp/?page_id=2

cheers

Old 04-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #333
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Any of you happen to be near Tsu (Mie)? I'm staying near Tsu Station until the 24th.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #334
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Hey guys, has anyone had any experience ordering either the temp controller or refractometer off Ebay from Hong Kong yet? I want to set up an account and get that done soon but have never used Ebay. How is shipping from HK? Cheap? Slow?

I will be looking for a used refrigerator to set up my temp control after I get the STC-1000, any tips on buying appliances in Japan?

Cheers!
B

Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #335
Sadamichi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan
Hey guys, has anyone had any experience ordering either the temp controller or refractometer off Ebay from Hong Kong yet? I want to set up an account and get that done soon but have never used Ebay. How is shipping from HK? Cheap? Slow?

I will be looking for a used refrigerator to set up my temp control after I get the STC-1000, any tips on buying appliances in Japan?

Cheers!
B
Im definitely gona get both of them in the next couple of months. I think shipping is included in the price, so free?

With the fridge, I was considering getting a chest freezer so I can keep at least four fermenters which would be cheaper to run than a full size fridge which would have too many nooks and crannys (useless space) to fit a fermenter, not to mention extra postage.

I did a search on yahoo auctions (Japanese) and they seemed to go for around 5000 second hand plus another 5000 postage. Not sure about the fridges.

Ill report back here when I get set up myself.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #336
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post

Cheers!
B
I made a temp controller from the STC-1000 works great! Very easy to make. The hardest thing was making a box to house it in. There are some great tutorials here on the forum. The only downside was it took ages for it to get here from China, customs was holding it up. The controller cost me 1,800 yen on auction. Postage was free. I want to get another one though so I can have several brews going at the same time easily.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #337
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks guys, I think the freezer idea is perhaps the way to go and is cheaper than I expected. the STC should be the icing on the cake! I set up the Ebay account and then realized the only way it seems to allow payment right now is through Paypal and they only ship to the paypal shipping address. I had a paypal account and thought that would be fine but turns out I can't change it from Canada to Japan. Its a real PITA, needed to delete the old account, set up a new one, then find out I can't use my Canadian credit card for a Japanese account. Now I need to find a Japanese credit card to sign up for; looks like its going to be a long while till I get that stuff at this rate.

On the plus side, I'm brewing today! Going for a dry APA with lots of later addition Falconers flight hops. I have 250gm Carared, 3750gm Pilsner 2 row, and 40 grams of chocolate (that I will add in the last 10 minutes of the mash). Trying to get it to turn more of a Red color than my last attempt.
Cheers!
B

Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #338
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did a pale ale last night with Asahi ale malts and Cascade pellets. Started with 1.050 and will be fermenting for about 2 weeks before bottling.

I live alone now and don't have the luxuries of a roomy kitchen, and it really is a pain in the ass to keep a boil (It takes ages to get 2.5 gallons of water to a boil). I may scale down to a partial extract, that way I can use my 5 litre pot instead of my 14 litre. a 500g pack of DME with some base and speciality malts, and I should be able to get a pretty decent beer...

I also made some pickled sardines (Iwashi). I love pickled herring but the stuff on store shelves is too sweet for my palate, so I made some without sugar. It's really easy to make and tastes great, should be a good accompaniment with my beer or whisky

Old 05-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #339
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm Bottling a Blonde with Falconers Flight 7Cs right now (once I finish this sample). The ABV is nice and low, this is going to be gone in no time!

Surume, are you talking about getting the strike water hot? I have been using a little cheat - I crank the setting to maximum on my kitchen on-demand hot water heater and fill my pot with that. I can actually get it to boiling in the machine but that starts to make scary noises and I doubt if it is any good for the heater. It takes maybe 5 minutes to fill up the amount I need, but afterwards I am pretty much only a few minutes away from strike temperature once I put it on the stove. My bath heater has a digital display and says that it can heat the water to 60 C so I often use that instead of the kitchen heater. My brews are not of the quality yet that I need to worry about the water being unfiltered or whatever. Hope this helps!

Getting from mash/sparge temp to boil takes a bit longer, but 30 minutes on the stove should be enough for even a 20 Liter batch.

Another method (I don't know much about it) would be to mash and sparge with as little water as possible for a higher gravity. You could prepare some water the day before (boil and store it). Add the water after the boil to top up to the desired volume/gravity - it would help cool to pitching temps faster and you could boil a smaller volume of wort in less time. *Disclaimer, I have only done this once, I had prepared boiled water to top up the wort and dilute the gravity in case I had accidentally boiled off too much.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #340
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I could consider using a smaller boil, or using my electric kettle to boil the water before putting into the pot. Thanks for the advice

A smaller boil would mean less efficiency probably but I suppose time is money, and having to use more malts is better than waiting the extra few hours on a weekend.

Quick Reply