New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #321
tektonjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Hoppy is fine. Just don't gorilla the hand capper and you should be okay.

Not sure what size of batch you're doing, but with 20 liter batches, 20k will give you 4-5 batches. I wouldn't call that huge. I call it cheap!

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #322
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Hoppy is fine. Just don't gorilla the hand capper and you should be okay.

Not sure what size of batch you're doing, but with 20 liter batches, 20k will give you 4-5 batches. I wouldn't call that huge. I call it cheap!

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 04-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #323
Sadamichi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Yeah - I'm going cheap on the fermenters by using those 8L umeshu glass jars. I figure I can get started by doing small batches so if I mess up I don't ruin a full 20 litres and I can try my hand at a few different styles in a shorter space of time. That coupled with the need for pre-crushed grain, I don't think I can use enough without it spoiling with summer just around the corner.

Thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate it.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #324
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I have one caution about the hoppy bottles. From the ones I have seen, they get banged up a lot more in their return system, and the built up stresses in the glass may weaken them below a safe point.

The 8L umeshu jars seem to work pretty good. I put a little foil over the pouring spout (of the soft plastic "middle" lid) and then screw the hard plastic lid on very lightly. I don't think the hard plastic lid actually has an airtight seal though as my umeshu always seems to leak when I move it. I think you could make a more trustworthy airlock by drilling a hole in the soft plastic lid and using a blowoff tube.
Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #325
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just clipped the little cross piece in the premade hole of the soft lid part and a stopper fit in nicely.

I think that center white plastic part acts as a gasket between the glass and the harder red lid...?

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Sadamichi Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #326
Sadamichi
Recipes 

I did the exact same thing, but where the soft plastic lid meets the glass doesnt seal very well. I was considering buying and sanitizing a wide rubber band and trying to position over where the seal isnt airtight. I use the umeshu jars as more of a secondary as my batches are just under 8L.

Im about to move house, but when I do, I intend to get a few of those lined up and attach a blow off tube.

If anyone is in Tokyo, and has been brewing through the summer before, do you have any tips for a fledgling like myself?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #327
Sadamichi
Recipes 

I just bought a umeshu jar from viva home over the weekend, it seams to have an airtight seal. The first one I bought is from Doit.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #328
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Headed down to Bashamichi Taproom last Sunday afternoon with 5 of my colleagues to have a beer. They have Shimaguni Stout (a smoked beer) as a regular but they currently have another smoked beer for the season so if you're into smoked beers then I'd recommend it. I haven't had it yet, I had the Shimaguni Stout which was a little weak in smokiness... the guy at the taproom says the seasonal one is more smoky.

I (we) then went down to Craft Beer Bar. The Shiga Kougen double IPA is really good! Nice fruity (nectarines/peach) aroma... a must have

Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #329
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

That Shiga Kougen beer sounds interesting, I'd like to give it a try some time. I was actually at the Taproom the other day as well and had The Great American Stout, which is a pretty heavily hopped stout. Definitely interesting to try such a departure from the typical style.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #330
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by surume View Post
The Shiga Kougen double IPA is really good! Nice fruity (nectarines/peach) aroma... a must have
Have a couple of batches of APA/Am IPA that I fermented with US-05 down at the lower end of the temp. range, probably a bit too low like 12 to 13 Celsius, and they both exhibit that peachy/nectarine aroma, and flavour, but it definitely goes OK with the Nugget bittering and Cascade flavour,/aroma/dry hop additions.

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Quick Reply