Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
mpearce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Whoa, Devilcraft? In Kanda? Share the details. How do I get there? Another easy way for temp control is take a styrofoam box which are everywhere here and put the heater may in the bottom. Cover the box and you get not only the heat going from the mat but also ambient air gets warm and will stay that way. If the box isn't big enough take two and cut the bottom out of one and just tape it on to the other.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Other Ordering Options

I don't want to try shipping stuff from North America due to the shipping costs but while looking at a thread on refractometers I saw someone post an ebay seller in Hong Kong. I took a look at his refractometer store on ebay and the shipping is reasonable to Japan. The prices on the refractometers are ridiculously cheap compared to the ones on Amazon Japan, even with shipping included they are less than half the price! This has me thinking about looking west for supplies instead of east.

Good luck with the slants!

I like the styrofoam idea, someone told me insulation material was hard to get after the big earthquake but they were likely overlooking polystyrene. I can line the inside of a dresser with it, and toss a heating mat at the bottom. Summertime I can figure out cooling, I don't want to have to go with ice packs in there it sounds like too much maintenance.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #23
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

For cooling in summer we have one great thing. The Japanese bath tub. I don't know about your house but we don't use the tub in summer, so you can fill it half way with water then just stand your Carboy in it. Then you can change out the water every couple of days. That should keep everything at a temp around 70 F I bet. That is what I am going to try this summer. If you wanted colder you could change the water everyday.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #24
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default I thought about that but...

The water coming out of my taps during the summer was 25 C already haha! It would be good for the shoulder of the summer in my house though, I think if I had done that in the beginning of July I wouldn't have had high esters and hot alcohol off flavors.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #25
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Okay, so I just went to Kanda Sta. and took a look inside Takano Rika Garasu. Warning: Lots of photographs!

The shop features an array of lab supplies and equipment. Erlenmeyer flasks range from 600 yen for the small ones to 1600 yen for a 1 Litre one.

Unfortunately, I could not find the kinds of vials that look like a test tube with a screw on lid. The closest I could find was 20mm in diameter and 55mm in height (excluding the lid part) and was 630 yen for a pack of 10. There are slightly larger ones as shown in the background of the above photograph but they don't have a screw on lid.

They do have a small test tube with 18mm in diameter and 105mm in length, at 84 yen each. Combine that with a silicon bung and it should withstand pressure cooking, although you'd have to sterilize them separately. Rubber bungs (the black ones) are only good up to around 80 degrees celcius, so don't try to put them in boiling water.

On the bright side, they have large bottle brushes.

And 20L Polyethylene buckets that could act as a primary fermenter.

And best of all, polyethylene 20L carboys. 3360 yen. They come with a spigot, but I'd probably change it into a smaller one and then I could simply attack tubing to the spigot for easy racking. The mouth is small enough to be plugged with a rubber bung and an airlock. There is also a wide mouthed version which costs 100 more yen and requires drilling a hole into the lid for attaching an airlock, but its mouth is wide enough to stick your arm inside for better cleaning.

They also had hydrometers, polyethylene water tanks, test tube racks, plastic funnels of all sizes, beakers and a stir plate for 10,000 yen.

If you have any questions regarding the shop, I'll try to answer them (if I can remember the info)

Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #26
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. It will come in handy when I am ready for some of this stuff.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default You hit the Motherload!

Wow! Good Find! The shop looks great! Thanks for taking the pictures so we know what to expect! The spigot on the carboy looks like a cartoon haha! I notice that the pails are still 3000 yen though, I used to get unlimited amounts of free pails from restaurants so I can't bring myself to pay that much for one.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #28
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bay Brewing Yokohama was introduced on some late morning programme on TV today, as well as homebrewing. They did a quick show of how they made beer, and it looks like Bay Brewing ferments their beer in converted kegs

By the way, got a bunch of beer today

Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #29
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I saw Shinyasan posted a video on facebook of it but I didnt watch since I was busy with my porter yesterday. Ill check it out! Wait, you mean the do secondary in the kegs right? We have both seen their brewery and the fermenters are bigger than kegs even if you discount all the insulation. Maybe there is more to their brewery than I thought, do they have other rooms / floors? He sure manages to put out a variety of brews from there so more vessels makes sense. On another note, are you going to harvest yeast from any of those bottles? Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #30
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Probably secondary, or maybe the narrator on TV didn't understand the difference between fermentation and bottle(keg) conditioning.

I'd love to make an attempt at harvesting lambic yeasts/bugs from the Cantillon or Boon, but I'm not sure if slants are the best way to harvest those. If I were to harvest them, I'd use a petri-dish agar plate and identify and isolate each type of yeast and bacteria.

Quick Reply